User Tag List

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Reedy's Engine Rebuild Bonanza!

Is that with a BNR S1 mate?

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Results are in, the engine performed great but the clutch kept slipping on the dyno! Not very happy considering it's a brand new clutch!

Red plot is the end result, green plot is what happens when the clutch lets go during a pull ><

Either way 225kW and 430NM is nothing to sneeze at, and about what I was expecting, but this was de-tuned and they had to do the dyno pulls in 3rd gear. We don't actually know how much head room there is left to work with.
    Apart from the shit clutch, that's a pretty good result for normal fuel... Wonder if the car could keep making power to 6.5k...

What you doing about the clutch?
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

We're talking to NPC today, either this one has a defect or we need a stronger one. Not sure if we can re-use the pressure plate from this one or if that also needs to be replaced. Pain in the ass!
    Last edited by Reedy; 20-01-2015 at 07:33 AM.

5. Default

Any indication of whether this can be rectified before Monday? I guess it depends on how the convo goes with NPC?

Probably just gonna get our hands on a new clutch and worry about warranty claims afterwards. NPC need us to send this one back first so I'll just front the money now in the name of trying to get back on the road by Monday!

7. Default

Nice looking graph, more torque further into the rev range, nice and flat between 3 and 5k, and it doesnt seem to fall off a cliff post 5k.

Yea its good. Just ordered a cushion button clutch so will be back to fighting fitness again soon. Looks like the one we ordered just wasn't expecting to see that kind of torque. 430 NM is no small amount but it should have still been within reason.
    Last edited by Reedy; 20-01-2015 at 01:13 PM.

Yea its good. Just ordered a cushion button clutch so will be back to fighting fitness again soon. Looks like the one we ordered just wasn't expecting to see that kind of torque. 430 NM is no small amount but it should have still been within reason.
    What did they expect from a 220kw car that only revs to 6500rpm? :/

They say what the torque levels they expected were?
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Looks like some excess grease squeezed into the bell housing when things were assembled and contaminated the clutch. Bit of a bugger but a new one will be going in on friday so Monday is back on the cards again!

Looks like some excess grease squeezed into the bell housing when things were assembled and contaminated the clutch. Bit of a bugger but a new one will be going in on friday so Monday is back on the cards again!
    Grease or JD?

12. Default

Not really, when you lift a wheel off the pavement you lose drive which is a bit shit but no worse than what happens when you lift a wheel with the stock LSD.

The downside might yet find me if I go to the track and am no faster, but the added driveability on the street alone is pretty neat. It's just so much smoother in pretty much any situation.
    Did the Diff upgrade change the torque steer at all?

Maybe a little, but not really. It doesn't snatch like the standard diff does and is a lot smoother in its operation, but it will still pull you one way or the other when the road is a bit uneven.
    Last edited by Reedy; 27-01-2015 at 02:37 PM.

Update.

Finally dropped the car off yesterday to have the new clutch fitted. Once that's done I am booked in to get it retuned next week just in time for Winton. Tight schedule as always.

Here is the kind of thing I am looking for:

Dildo Blitz - Page 3 - Mazdaspeed Forums

I need a catch can setup for the top breather as it is still producing quite a lot of oil. This looks like a pretty good solution, minimal hose length etc. Altho that is fitted to a 6 so might not fit a 3 in quite the same way.

I run that same add w1 catch can, does the job fine

Here is the kind of thing I am looking for:

Dildo Blitz - Page 3 - Mazdaspeed Forums

I need a catch can setup for the top breather as it is still producing quite a lot of oil. This looks like a pretty good solution, minimal hose length etc. Altho that is fitted to a 6 so might not fit a 3 in quite the same way.
    Exactly. We aren't blessed with much extra room on the MPS. I have 2 cans which are both on the front of the gearbox. Setup like this

Excuse my quick mspaint sketch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	17253
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	17252  
    Last edited by ledfootrob; 05-03-2015 at 05:56 PM.

Yea that's cool, I don't have a PERM plate so mine won't have the connector and check valve that yours does but the idea is there. I don't like the idea of running the valve cover breather all the way down to the gearbox and back again. It's ok for the PCV breather but the the rocker cover hose is only 30cm long, i'd just like something that taps into that without needing much extra piping.

I am tempted to grab myself one of those ADD cans and just poke around in the engine bay until I can make it fit.

Yeah i wasn't a fan of having hoses runnings everywhere. You still have the stock battery and box too so space must be tight. Maybe you could try find a smaller air/ oil seperator that runs in the hose from valve cover to tip.

This ADD one looks really good because it's quite small compared to others on the market. Cheap too, just need to make up hoses to fit.

Add W1 Black Baffled Universal Aluminum Oil Catch Tank Can Reservoir Tank Ver 1 | eBay

Draining it could be a problem as the whole can needs to unscrew from the top, altho that dipstick hole should be just the right fit for my vacuum pump so that could possibly work quite well. Main question is can it fit in the engine bay.....

Might be time to get a lithium battery?
    Last edited by Reedy; 05-03-2015 at 08:51 PM.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast