User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Beginners Thread

Default Forum Beginners Thread

Forum Beginners Thread

At one point we were all forum beginners, (or noobs) and had no idea how a forum works, and how you can do certain things in a forum.
    This thread is to answer the commonly asked questions by forum beginners.

Firstly watch this;

"It is always better to post in an existing thread than to start a new one"

Contents
    HOW TO
    How to create a new Thread
    How to post Pictures
    How to create a new FOR SALE Thread
    How to donate.
    How to post Videos
    How to PROPERLY search the Forum

ABOUT
    User Tagging/Mentioning
    User Reputation

WHY?
    Thread bumps

Technical Modification Questions - http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/new-m...tml#post291362
    by @SarcasticOne

Creating a new thread;

If you're new to Oz MPS, the first thing you should do is create a new thread in the "New Members Section" and say hello! This is here --> New Members Area <--

To create the thread;

Select the applicable prefix. This will be displayed in front if the title of your thread.

Tell us as much or little as you want about yourself and your new ride!
    Pics are generally a nice addition to your post, so check out below how to include them.

Submit your thread. You have made your first thread in OzMPS, welcome!

Posting Pictures;

THE most common question asked by a forum beginner is "How do I post a picture in a thread?" (Yes I asked it myself)

The forum allows you to attach images, but only pictures small in file size and that can be annoying. The best way to post an image is to host it on an "image hosting website" and then link that image to your post.
    There are many websites out there that will host your images for you for free, so choose whatever one you like to get started!

Here is a list of some free image hosting websites;
    (I will show how to post pictures uploaded to the mentioned websites into your post)

imgur: the simple image sharer
    Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing
    Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing
    ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Note: You can also link your pictures from Facebook to your post if you like to upload your pictures to there.
    Note2: There is a forum app for Android and Apple phones through which images can be posted too

Sign up to your image hosting website, and then upload the image/s you want to put in your post.

IMGUR

Firstly select the image you want, then;

then paste the link into your post and you're done! The way that Imgur sets up it's links is so that the image code is already attached to the location of the link making it easy as!

PHOTOBUCKET

Photobucket sets up its links in a similar way to Imgur so select your image;

and then paste the link into your post. Photobucket is nice because when you click on the link it automatically copies it
    Note: Photobucket has an app for Android (I'm not sure about iOS) and you can upload images through this app, then copy the image tag and paste into your post from your phone

FLICKR

Flickr is a LITTLE different, select your image;

and then your image will appear.

IMAGESHACK

Select your image

Facebook

To upload an image from facebook, copy the image URL

Tapatalk

Lastly there is another way to insert an image into your post and it is with the Tapatalk app. It is available for Android and Apple devices.
    It is not a free app, however only costs a few dollars.
    It's a great app, allowing you to sign into many forums and gives you alerts on the go
    You can see how i'm logged into 4 forums and have elected to receive notifications for various things from each forum.

Open your post, and you will see the screen shot on the left with tapatalk 2, middle with tapatalk 4 (on an android phone) or on the right a shot from an iPhone

It will then ask you how you want to host it, select "Tapatalk Hosted". (or select "Upload to Tapatalk" as seen on the iPhone)
    This uploads the image to the tapatalk server and links it automatically from there. Thats why I think this is the easiest way to do things.

In short:

When you click the "Insert Image" icon and paste the URL, all this does is add the tags [IMG ] ... [ /IMG] around the link you posted. So in other words, you can just copy the direct link of the image into your post and write [IMG ] before the link and [ /IMG] after the link (without the spaces in the tag) and you're done.

Creating a For Sale Thread;

I often hear people say "why can't I post on the for sale section?" This is because there is slightly different criteria that you have to fulfil to create a new thread in the For Sale section of the forum.
    It is still exactly the same process as creating a normal new thread, but due to the need of tighter rules on the forum in the for sale section, to post a For Sale thread you need to be either a CONFIRMED member, or a VIP member.

To be a confirmed member you need to have a minimum post count of 25 posts. (Spam posting to reach your 25 post count is not tolerated.)
    To be a VIP member you need to have donated to the forum. To donate to the forum read below;

Before posting a For Sale thread, it would be a good idea to read the rules found here --> http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...ing-forum.html <--

Also when creating a For Sale thread, you are required to USE THE TEMPLATE!
    The template helps set things out clearly making them easily readable. It can be found here --> http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...-must-use.html <--

Or here:

Item:
    Reason for selling:
    Price and price conditions:
    Extra Info:
    Pictures:

How to become a VIP donor;

Donating to the forum has its advantages and helps keep this place running. It doesn't have to cost much but every little bit just helps.

"Proceeds from donations go towards hosting, domain, license fees and maintenance only. Anything that is surplus to this will be given back to our community in the form of prizes, assistance with cruises and social events. We are not here to make money! We promise to give back to the community that helps us to grow!"

Why donate and become VIP? Here is a list of things you get when you donate;

- A snazzy VIP Member logo under your username (this will appear in all posts)
    - Your username will appear green, to signify your status
    - Access to the exclusive VIP Site Supporter Forum
    - Access to the ARCADE!!
    - Instant access to Chat box and Member Buy & Sell (i.e. bypass 25 post minimum)
    - Access to special offers and first option on club organised Group Buys
    - Increased album size to 250 images
    - Increased allowed picture size in album to 800 x 800
    - Increased PM mail box to hold 200 messages
    (This is also the same with sticker sales and advertising revenue)

To donate you will find the button up the top of the page;

From there you can choose your amount you would like to donate (minimum $10) and Pay!
    You can elect to pay a one off payment, or a recurring payment either weekly, monthly or yearly.

Posting a Video

The easiest way to post a video is to copy the URL of where the video is located (YouTube etc);

This will make the video appear in your post in exactly the same way that the video appears at the top of this post.

SEARCHING!!!!

Something that many people should know how to do (and new people should learn right away) is how to properly search.

There is a search box at the top right of every forum page. Utilise this. Underneath is the "Advanced search" button. You can refine your search using options selected here.

HOWEVER, there is another way to search the forum! Yes, when I leant this it was a hallelujah moment that's for sure.

Eg,
    You are new to the forum and your turbo car and want to run a blow off valve (these are not recommended on our cars in the Vent to Atmosphere function by the way) and want to find what blow off valve to run.
    You search with the search button but dont find exactly what you're looking for. Before you start a new thread, try searching the forum with google.
    Yes thats right, go to google and type in

Look at that, I see LOTS of relevant useful topics for Blow off valves, so read away.

Anything you want to search for, just enter "sitezmpsclub.com" and then your search criteria and it works wonders

User Tagging/Mentioning

Tagging or mentioning a user can be a very a very handy feature. It notifies the user you tagged them in the thread, and specifically the POST that you tagged them in.
    This can be useful if you want their opinion on a topic, or want them to see something you have posted.

To do so, type the "@" symbol, and then the username of the person you want to mention.

When you write the username, the mention function is not case sensitive so if the persons username has some capitals and some lowercase, this does not matter.
    When you mention the person, it will turn their username into a hyperlink in your post. You can click on this link, and it will take you straight to their user profile.

Mention shown here, ----> @GibbA <------ (Clicking this will take you to my profile)

When you have mentioned someone, they will get a notification shown like this;

Clicking on that will take you to your mentions list;

User Reputation

User reputation is a relatively new feature to the forum.

The following is a brief description of the rep system. For a more detailed explanation of this system, read this link; ---> http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/annou...ozmpsclub.html <---

"Reputation allows members to gauge the reputation of fellow members and at the same time encourage users to be more helpful with each other. User reputation is a ranking of how the community scores a user's benefit to the forum. Its basis comes from the opinions of all of the forum users that choose take part in it. Each member's current reputation level is displayed within each post, just below the avatar and other user information. Reputation appears as a series of small green cubes for positive reputation and red for negative reputation. Hovering a mouse cursor over a user's rep blocks will display a brief comment about the user's current reputation status.
    Users gain and lose reputation based on how their posts are scored by other forum participants. Users with the ability to affect reputation will either give or take away points by approving or disapproving with a post's content. To see the comments other users have left for you, visit your User CP."

Ie; It you think this post is helpful or beneficial to the forum, you may want to click the sheriffs badge at the bottom of the post and add to my reputation...
    (Or you can thank or like the post)

Thread bumps

I was asked why people post the word "bump" in for sale threads, so here is why.

When a new thread is created, it automatically is placed at the start of the section of the forum it was placed in. Ie, you are a new member and post a new thread in this section, it will be placed first in this section. (After any sticky threads. These are threads that will always appear at the top of the section). Once other new threads are created, your thread will be pushed down the page, eventually to the next page and then seemingly in then into the lost pages of eternity.
    HOWEVER, when a new post is submitted to your thread, it will be "Bumped" back to the top of the section. This means the thread at the top of each section is the thread with the MOST RECENT activity in it.

Now you may see why this is useful in the for sale threads. When selling an item, you want as many people to see your thread, and hence, your item for sale as possible. You have a greater chance of people finding your thread if it is at the top of the page of "For Sale" threads.
    This is why people post in their thread, to bump it up the top.
    Some people like to get creative with their bumps, one i've seen i like is;

In regards to bumping threads, rule 6 from the rules of the classifides on OzMPS states; ---> 6. “Bumping”. One (1) "bump" is allowed per day. <---
    (It just gets annoying if you bump all the time, and some people may try abuse this to increase their post count....)

Note: Before selling on OzMPS, be sure to read the rules, found at ----> http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...ing-forum.html <----

If anyone has any comments about this post, Ie, additions/improvements, let me know and i'll add it.
    I want this to be a resource to new members so they can learn how to use the forum easily!

Enjoy OzMPS!

Cheers.
    Last edited by GibbA; 31-05-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Well done mate

Quiet day at work @GibbA?

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Quiet day at work @GibbA?
    Study week for UNI exams Any additions you think would be good?
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

Stickied!

Sent from my S4 while I'm tappin dat' glass.

Sweet thanks. Hope it helps some people out

Well done... Wicked work.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

Thanks for post learnt a lot

You can thank it if you're thankful

Anyone has any more how to questions for beginners about the forum i'll try answer them and put them in the post

U should be a junior mod

What about the rep star in posts :P then people can give you REP!!!
    Maybe also @ user tagging.

PS how 'Posting and YOU' made it into the post hahahahaha

Thanks little billy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    PS how 'Posting and YOU' made it into the post hahahahaha

Thanks little billy!

Of course "Posting and YOU" had to make it in there. its hilarious, but also VERY relevant.
    That @ tagging is an excellent idea, that'll be added.

Edit: I'll spell out the basics of Rep and then link the full thread
    Last edited by GibbA; 04-06-2013 at 10:48 PM.

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

Nice write up @GibbA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Harry View Post
    U should be a junior mod
    Thanks Harry, but i'm sure there are many more people to be considered for junior mod before me lol.
    I was actually quite taken by surprise by your comment. (I'd love it tho)

Post cleaned and updated with more info. Tell me what you guys think. Anything more to add?
    Last edited by GibbA; 05-06-2013 at 02:18 AM.

Great work mate. Very well done!

Updated with "How to create a thread", "How to create a for sale thread", and "How to donate".

Thanks to @GibbA for creating this thread seems like a good place to put in information answering a few commonly asked questions, with links to more information so that people dont have to search.

1. What should my first modifications be?
    2. Do I need a HPFP (High pressure fuel pump) upgrade?
    3. Should I get a 6 or a 3?
    4. Does a test pipe/Cat delete mean I can run a stage 2 map?
    5. How much E85 can I run?
    6. E-tune vs Dyno Tune?
    7. My engine rattles!
    8. Who should I buy from/avoid?
    9. P Platers, MPS6's and Mods
    10. What intake to buy?

1. First modification?
    I’ve gone to bigger turbo, full engine mounts etc... The 3 biggest things that have made a difference to the “feel” of the car are:

• Rear Engine Mount - REM (adds a tiny bit of NVH, but helps reduce gearbox slop & power down)
    • Rear Sway Bar - RSB (helps firm up suspension, car doesn’t roll as much in corners)
    • Tune (even a basic tune removing limiters in 1st and 2nd , and helping reduce turbo lag makes a massive difference)

2. High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP)
    Very basic overview of our fuel system for those new to the Direct Injection world:
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/fuell...tml#post279098
    Some people say it’s not required/necessary, etc etc... this is not correct, this should be one of the first “power” mods you do after a tune (AP or VT). Just pushing a stock car with a tune can cause you to reach the limits of the stock HPFP.
    More information:
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/fuell...-bolt-ons.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/fuell...learnings.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/fuell...k-vs-hpfp.html
    http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index....2jgfleq7#MAZFP

What can happen if your HPFP fails/can’t keep up:
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...tml#post261829
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/fuell...tml#post268829
    There has been talk by some tuning houses that certain software causes you to “need” a HPFP sooner than other, this is complete and utter crap, they just tune around a hardware issue, rather than fixing it.
    Why it fails:
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/engin...tml#post232165

3. MPS 3 or MPS 6?
    This has been argued many many times, the most civil and well thought out discussion can be found here:
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...y-compare.html

4. Test pipe vs Full Down Pipe
    OK, this is a hotly debated issue, if you’re planning on staying stock turbo, i’d just go a test pipe... this replaces the 2nd catalytic converter in the stock down pipe. The gains (on stock turbo at least) going from a test pipe to a full DP are minimal... A e85 tune with a 3” intake + test pipe will get you 90-95% of the gains on a stock turbo. Can see here, the car with just an intake + test pipe is making pretty much exactly the same power as cars with FMIC + full exhaust.
    Does a downpipe make a difference? Part 2 - Mazdaspeed Forums

Had someone ask for clarification on different parts for exhaust:

99% of the time, if someone says downpipe/dump pipe they mean parts 1 & 2.
    a test pipe/mid pipe/race pipe is section #2
    There is a cat in section 1 and another in section 2, there is no cats in section 3

the only company i know of that replaces section #1 by itself is corksport...

5. E85
    You can’t run 100% E85, it just doesn’t work on our cars, so, don’t listen to your EVO/S-Chassis/WRX/GTR owning friends.
    This is for 2 reasons:

1. Our fuel system “gunks up” and the HPFP stops going its job, it drops pressure. This is usually within 1000km, and requires the HPFP to be taken apart and cleaned.
    2. We run out of injector “head room”, on full E85 our cars max out their fuel capacity on E85 on the stock turbo.

6. E-Tune vs Dyno Tune
    They go through exactly the same process, do a Wide Open Throttle log in a gear (usually 4th), tuner reviews the log, makes changes, upload new map, repeat.
    Just that a dyno makes it easier to get that last 2-3kw of “peak” power, easier to see quantifiable gains. An experienced tuner will know when to stop, even with street tuning.

7. VVT rattle
    There is 2 “bad” rattles in the MPS engine, the HPFP and eventually a VVT.
    If you’re worried about the noise, try and locate where it’s coming from:
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...tml#post269285
    Your engine bay may looks slightly different if you have a TMIC/different FMIC, but hopefully you get the idea. Our engines are noisy, even at the best of times, but if you’re getting really distinctive noises (youtube it) from the VVT side, i’d start being slightly worried.

8. Who to buy from/avoid?
    If they're vendors on the forum, they are generally the people we trust to provide you with good customer service
    It's suggested to not but SURE motorsport parts: Link of reasons
    Protege Garage has not had the best success rate in getting parts to us very quickly
    MPS Garage, well, for the most part forum members say it's best not to purchase from them... large delays and a serious lack of communication are often said to be the main issues

10. What intake?
    For the most part, they're all the same... however, there has been measured gains from intakes larger than stock...

(happy to add more if people can think of it)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS3Exhaust.jpg 
Views:	2035 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	16292  
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 25-08-2014 at 09:03 PM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

@SarcasticOne great post thanks! Do you think it may be worth adding some clarification into your post for #4 as in the few names these things go by ( I know it confused me for a while trying to figure out if they were the same or different) eg. Catless midpipe, race pipe, cat delete pipe, test pipe, down pipe, dump pipe there might be a few other names to reference. I'm still not entirely sure which are the same lol
    Corksport SRI// Corksport TIP// Race Pipe//​ Turbosmart BPV// Resonator Delete// JBR 80a RMM// Autotech HPFP// Cobb AP V3// HDI GT2 FMIC// ​NGK LTR7IX-11// Simota 360* Filter// Eonon GM5151-With Back Up Cam// ​RaydTuned

Quote Originally Posted by Mspec View Post
    @SarcasticOne great post thanks! Do you think it may be worth adding some clarification into your post for #4 as in the few names these things go by ( I know it confused me for a while trying to figure out if they were the same or different) eg. Catless midpipe, race pipe, cat delete pipe, test pipe, down pipe, dump pipe there might be a few other names to reference. I'm still not entirely sure which are the same lol
    High quality MS Paint picture coming up
    NVM, found the street unit picture...
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 01-06-2014 at 09:51 AM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast