User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Mechanic - Intake valve clean

  1. #1
    discodave is offline Full Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    80

    Default Mechanic - Intake valve clean

    Hi All,

    I am interested in getting the intake valves on my MPS6 cleaned and would like to know if anyone knows of any good mechanics that deal with this sort of thing? Preferably in the south eastern suburbs.

    Also, if anyone has any idea how much something like that would cost i would also be curious to know.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Harry LuvzDrift's Avatar
    Harry LuvzDrift is offline Premhk is my best mate
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne , Victoria
    Posts
    1,173

    Default Mechanic - Intake valve clean

    I rang up all the places in south east n couple of them would do it for 400 n need a car for 3-4 days. I ended up doing them on my own lol

    Edit: overnight soaked in nulon throttle body n scrubbing next morning does the job
    Last edited by Harry LuvzDrift; 05-09-2013 at 02:33 PM.

  3. #3
    ttshark is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Find a place that does it using blast cleaning. That's the method I used. They will come out spotless and you will feel a big difference in smoothness and low-down response

  4. #4
    discodave is offline Full Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Thanks Harry.
    Are there any mechanics you could recommend?
    I doubt mine have ever been cleaned and have heard you can get them blasted with an abrasive to get them looking like new.
    If anyone knows of any place that specifically does this type of clean i would be keen to know.

    I am considering doing it myself. Was it a difficult job and did you require any other tools than standard sockets and spanners?
    How long did it take you?

    Cheers

  5. #5
    ttshark is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    30

    Default

    BMW (and I think Audi) offers intake valve cleaning as standard for all their cars but good luck with the price haha

    Doing it requires removal of the belt, removal of the power steering, removal of the egr, removal of the intake manifold and an understanding of Top Dead Centre on the motor.

  6. #6
    Harry LuvzDrift's Avatar
    Harry LuvzDrift is offline Premhk is my best mate
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne , Victoria
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discodave View Post
    Thanks Harry.
    Are there any mechanics you could recommend?
    I doubt mine have ever been cleaned and have heard you can get them blasted with an abrasive to get them looking like new.
    If anyone knows of any place that specifically does this type of clean i would be keen to know.

    I am considering doing it myself. Was it a difficult job and did you require any other tools than standard sockets and spanners?
    How long did it take you?

    Cheers
    Just need rachets n deep sockets. It's not a difficult job just need a lil bit of fiddling n wiggling n patience. Took me two days but let us know if you need a hand I'm more than happy to help you out.
    Member Of a Wallbangers Club

  7. #7
    discodave is offline Full Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Hrmmm after ringing around to several mechanics (Mazda, bmw, audi, locals) no one was interested in doing this.
    Does anyone know of any mechanics that would actually do it?
    Or would any forum members consider doing this (i would obviously compensate for time etc.)

    Cheers

  8. #8
    Harry LuvzDrift's Avatar
    Harry LuvzDrift is offline Premhk is my best mate
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne , Victoria
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discodave View Post
    Hrmmm after ringing around to several mechanics (Mazda, bmw, audi, locals) no one was interested in doing this.
    Does anyone know of any mechanics that would actually do it?
    Or would any forum members consider doing this (i would obviously compensate for time etc.)

    Cheers
    Before you start cleaning em make sure you buy a new gasket n probably catch can if possible to keep em clean
    Member Of a Wallbangers Club

  9. #9
    dazza's Avatar
    dazza is offline Ain't got time fo dat!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,601

    Default

    dont see alot of point doing a valve clean without a catch can. it will just clog straight back up.
    ideally a catch can and egr block off/delete. coolant bypass while you're at it

  10. #10
    Jmac's Avatar
    Jmac is offline Admin & Team JFat
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    North side, Vic
    Age
    32
    Posts
    6,745

    Default

    Location?

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Kev13B's Avatar
    Kev13B is offline Rotary!
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Northen Melbourne
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Make sure you check out Tim @ Rx8 Specialties/TPM Auto Garage Located in Frankston

    He specializes in the rx8's aswell as the mps's.

  12. #12
    discodave is offline Full Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Thanks guys.

    Harry, Which gasket are you referring to?
    Jmac, im in south eastern suburbs (Carnegie)
    Kev13B, thanks i will give them a try, not a single mechanic i have spoken to or been recommended yet was interested in doing this job.

  13. #13
    slixx's Avatar
    slixx is offline Wallbanger Club Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    And be careful putting you EGR pipe back in. Easy to thread the manifold!!!

    And... Plug everything back in!
    @dazza

  14. #14
    SomePhoenix's Avatar
    SomePhoenix is offline Random Lurker
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC
    Posts
    144

    Default

    If you find somewhere willing to do the clean, I'd be interested in the details. I even have a catch can ready to be put in, but just haven't.

    Quote Originally Posted by discodave View Post
    Thanks guys.
    Jmac, im in south eastern suburbs (Carnegie)
    I've seen a couple of other MPSs around Carnegie, mine is the red 6MPS if you see it!

  15. #15
    Harry LuvzDrift's Avatar
    Harry LuvzDrift is offline Premhk is my best mate
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne , Victoria
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discodave View Post
    Thanks guys.

    Harry, Which gasket are you referring to?
    Jmac, im in south eastern suburbs (Carnegie)
    Kev13B, thanks i will give them a try, not a single mechanic i have spoken to or been recommended yet was interested in doing this job.
    Intake manifold gasket, coolant bypass n EGR block off kit . JBR sell it as a full kit really cheap. I could give you a hand but won't be for next week or so
    Member Of a Wallbangers Club

  16. #16
    discodave is offline Full Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Thanks for the offer, i might take you up on it
    I will purchase the coolant bypass kit and an OCC first (any recommendations on where to get the OCC?)
    How long do you think it would take? I would be able to give a hand but only have a basic socket, spanner and screwdriver set and some jackstands.
    Happy to get my hands dirty, i have done minor jobs but probably nothing as complex as this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry LuvzDrift View Post
    Intake manifold gasket, coolant bypass n EGR block off kit . JBR sell it as a full kit really cheap. I could give you a hand but won't be for next week or so
    Last edited by discodave; 31-10-2013 at 01:05 PM.

  17. #17
    allo80's Avatar
    allo80 is offline Forum Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discodave View Post
    Thanks for the offer, i might take you up on it
    I will purchase the coolant bypass kit and an OCC first (any recommendations on where to get the OCC?)
    How long do you think it would take? I would be able to give a hand but only have a basic socket, spanner and screwdriver set and some jackstands.
    Happy to get my hands dirty, i have done minor jobs but probably nothing as complex as this.
    JBR has all the bits n pieces (OCC, EGR block off, Coolant bypass kit, and intake manifold gasket). It would pay to get it all done at the same time (whilst the intake manifold is off) and get all the pieces ordered from JBR at the same time (to save on shipping).

    Taking off the manifold is about 1 to 2 hrs. Putting it back on the same amount of time.

    Cleaning will take a bit, although it wont be active cleaning as mostly it willl be having the carby cleaner dwelling on the valves. But scrubbing should take about 20 to 30mins per valve set. I think it would be faster it you were blasiting it with walnut media (and a cleaner result)

    You wont need jack stands for the job.

    To get an indication of what is required to remove the intake manifold look at this guide from JBR (which incidentally is the manifold gasket install guide: http://jamesbaroneracing.com/support...structions.pdf)

  18. #18
    Harry LuvzDrift's Avatar
    Harry LuvzDrift is offline Premhk is my best mate
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne , Victoria
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Shop vac, long 1/4 extensions, long tiny metal brushes to get the crap off valves n walls, 4' cans of nulon intake carby cleaner , beers n lot of patience. Might as well get a new pcv valve as a backup it's only 25 from mazda.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •