User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPS Garage Short Shift Plate / Heavy Shift Knob Combo

Default MPS Garage Short Shift Plate / Heavy Shift Knob Combo

Has anybody fitted this combo? http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/pro...nob-combo.html
    Looks like a knob 2x the weight, short shift plate and heavy gear weight.

The past owner of my MPS must of had a lot of rings on his/her left hand as the knob has scratches all over it and it bugs me!

That's the James Barone kit. Do a search here there's some info around. I won't offer an opinion on it as I'm running another one. Can tell you now the replacement shift weight is definitely lighter than factory.

IMHO, The JBR one has issues. The cable rubs through (proven) and the revision (cable spacer) hits on the std airbox, if you are running the std airbox.

Funny thing, If you reduce the weight at the gearbox, why would you then increase it at the gearstick? Reverse psychology?

Food for thought.

My 2 cents.

yea i have the JBR ss plate and use the stock airbox. took a lot of fiddling with some rubber gromets to push the airbox high enough for the linkages to clear when in 5th gear. besides that its fine. cant comment on the heavier gearknob, but I have the same issue where my stock ones all scratched. will eventually get a heavier one

I run a CPe intake so clearance will be no problem

Im thinking the shifter knob will get really hot in summer....

I once owned a metal gearknob like that and I did once burn my hand on it. If you get one like that all I can recommend is to carry a sock in your car to put over it in Summer.....

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    yea i have the JBR ss plate and use the stock airbox. took a lot of fiddling with some rubber gromets to push the airbox high enough for the linkages to clear when in 5th gear. besides that its fine. cant comment on the heavier gearknob, but I have the same issue where my stock ones all scratched. will eventually get a heavier one

Can you post some pictures of the rubber gromets that you used, or how high or wahat messurs the gromets have?

I'm running the JBR plate on the stock knob and I think it feels great, there's no rubbing that I'm experiencing, but that's because i have a SRI.

However, it was quite the bastard to put in, mainly due to the spacers required to lift the shifter cable. T
    2XS's plate it more practical to install as it is pretty much a straight substitution , but I havnt used it so I can't compare but I'm sure it's like all other 2XS stuff... Pretty awsome!

Quote Originally Posted by Nepharius View Post
    I once owned a metal gearknob like that and I did once burn my hand on it. If you get one like that all I can recommend is to carry a sock in your car to put over it in Summer.....
    +1...i have the jbr shift knob...muchhhhh heavier then stock. Makes shifts feel alot smoother. Still need to install the 2XS shift plate i bought from another member
    CURRENT: 2009 VW Passat R36

PREVIOUS: 2008 Mazda 3 MPS

Hi

I also have the same combo, SSP, Weight, Knob and Base bushes...

IMO it is great! The throw is heaps shorter than stock and the gear knob feels great to hold, you have to get used to it but after a few days you're fine.

at first I noticed that 5th was somewhat hard to select but after a few days I managed to get used to it, then this weekend I decided to fine tune the shifter as per that YouTube video on his site which proved to be just what I needed, now it goes into 5th without a hassle and feels even better than when I initially installed it.

The whole boot rubbing is no big deal as made out to be, I'd be more concerned with the cable it self rubbing on something but it is just a rubber boot and it is a slight rub. The one thing that is a bit of a joke is the whole air box rubbing, IMO that piece that hold the nipple for the cable is way too long and I don't see why it needs to be so high, in reality the plate is just there to mimic a shorter cable and after speaking to one of the old blokes from my old work (lead mechanical engineer) he also agreed that if you were to replace the original cable with a shorter one you would get the same "short shift" effect, this is just a compromised way of doing it by relocating the point where the cable attaches to the gear selector arm on the box.

All in all it feels great and it does what it says it will, that is reduce the throw...

If you want a better alternative and think the world will blow up coz this thing rubs on your air box and your rubber boot will make the car blow up, then go spend $500 or whatever it is for one of those TWM short shifter and call it a day.

Hope that helps with your decision..

Alex

oh and yes the gear knob gets really hot in summer and the sticker with the pattern will come off as it did on mine!
    Last edited by Malicioso; 07-02-2011 at 04:58 PM.
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

For those concerned with scratches on the OEM shift knob, some Autosol metal polish and a cloth or small buff wheel on a Dremel will get rid of them. I reckon finger jewellery should be banned anyway!

Autosol from SCA - Autosol Metal Polish - 75ml - Supercheap Auto
    Autosol MSDS - http://www.autosol.com.au/MSDS/MSDS_Autosol_1000.pdf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Autosol_thumb.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	7406
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

^^^ Yet to try that, would be great in case needing to return it back to OEM...

Also Mothers makes this beauty: Mothers® PowerBall Mini®

Quote Originally Posted by Malicioso View Post

If you want a better alternative and think the world will blow up coz this thing rubs on your air box and your rubber boot will make the car blow up, then go spend $500 or whatever it is for one of those TWM short shifter and call it a day.
    Hahaha

Love it!

I used the JB SSP before the revision for almost 4 months, there was some rubbing but the rubber boot suffered no damage, after the FREE revision the issue was put to rest...for me anyways since I have a SRI.

Quote Originally Posted by Malicioso View Post
    oh and yes the gear knob gets really hot in summer and the sticker with the pattern will come off as it did on mine!
    I hope you not talking about the JB gear knob, I just bought one!!!
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    I hope you not talking about the JB gear knob, I just bought one!!!
    Belive dat hommie, the sticker comes off!

Should have been better if it was engraved or etched on...

Oh well can't have it all I guess???
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

Sucks..

Oh well..as long as it fits and sits right and doesnt turn like the crappy MOMO I had on previously Im happy

It's a shame, he used to use the E4 performance knobs. They looked nice and probably quality too.

Well today I had the chance to see the combo for myself in fully6mps car, looks tough and the throw is definitely shorter.

I have a CPe CAI so I'm not concerned about rubbing I am worried about the extreme heat of the shifter in summer

This is going on the list of gear I'm getting after I get the ECUTEK tune & front carbon grill.

LoL @ the sticker with the pattern, it come off again today on the way to work and its barely 16c in melb this morning hahaha!

Don't find the knob too hot, no worse than the stock one, better probably.

And my sticker is still attached, no problems so far. Though probably just jinxed myself now.

Had problems with it rubbing at first, even with the rubber spacers. Couldn't select 5th properly. But didn't worry me as I was going to get a Sri shortly, but that plan has been delayed, so fixed the problem by actually removing one space. Works perfectly now

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Don't find the knob too hot,

Had problems with it rubbing at first. Works perfectly now

Sorry Brad, that's all I read out of your email.....
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast