User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch upgrade for Mazda 6 mps

Default Clutch upgrade for Mazda 6 mps

I was thinking of upgrading the clutch on my 6 mps, however, I don't want something that will be a pain in the butt to drive in traffic, I had my clutch changed under warranty over a year ago.

Does anyone have any ideas? if so do who do you recommend in Brisbane to do the install?

Thanks
    David

Hi ATTICA, what is your current clutch like, how many kms on it, and what, if anything, is wrong with it - and how do you drive or what do you want to do with it?

The answers you get will be different according to whether or not you want to drag with it, or if the current one is worn out or apparently faulty or you simply find it difficult to use, or if you have extensive mod's. Cheers.

Curious to find if when your clutch was changed by Mazda if the replaced it with a stock MPS clutch or their upgrade.
    They had an upgrade kit when new that replaces just about everything that has anything to do with your clutch, they use a Falcon F6 clutch plate.
    Not perfect, but better than stock

Hey Doug I had the clutch replaced in 2008 under the Mazda warranty fix so I assume it was the clutch bd mentions. My car has 45000 km on it is an 05 build I don't drive fast often at least not from traffic lights as I find the clutch too hard to get right. It is far better than it was but it could be my driving that is the problem. I tend to try for a fast take off and either snuff it or ride the clutch trying to get smooth take off which kills the fast take off I was wondering if the braided clutch line might improve things?

Sounds like a mps 6 to me. Normal. They got a bit of a flogging from the press when new over their "tricky" clutch. Hence the upgrade they released that they didn't tell anyone about.
    I don't think that any 6 owner can honestly say that they still don't have troubles with the clutch and they can constantly drive it smoothly.

6. Default

I still stall mine after 3 1/2 years though thats mainly in reverse. Its just a tricky clutch

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Sounds like a mps 6 to me. Normal. .....I don't think that any 6 owner can honestly say that they still don't have troubles with the clutch and they can constantly drive it smoothly.
    Definitely agree. Although I only drive it occasionally, it is by far the hardest car to drive smoothly in first few gears. Not a criticsm, just what I've found to be the case.

"Sector six, 80, copy the sixth, the sum of the eighth, the quadrant over the ninth, plus 80, four circles, weave the 80 and call the fourth. Copy." - Thufir Hawat, Mentat, Master of Assassins.

I must be weird - or lucky. I LIKE my clutch and never stall it. Guess it's all in the technique! And I've always hated woolly clutches that feel like custard anyway. I much prefer direct engagement that feels like a switch - on or off.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    I must be weird - or lucky. I LIKE my clutch and never stall it. Guess it's all in the technique! And I've always hated woolly clutches that feel like custard anyway. I much prefer direct engagement that feels like a switch - on or off.
    LUCKY - I stall mine occassionally after 5 years of driving and new clutch plus modifying pedal height etc before clutch fitted. I think mine is due to a very tight rear diff as I commonly stall on reversing tight corners. The slight extra load of the diff sufficient to stall at low rpm. Usually unexpected addition of load as it doesn't stall reversing straight or for that matter forward either.

Quote Originally Posted by rd415 View Post
    LUCKY - I stall mine occassionally after 5 years of driving and new clutch plus modifying pedal height etc before clutch fitted. I think mine is due to a very tight rear diff as I commonly stall on reversing tight corners. The slight extra load of the diff sufficient to stall at low rpm. Usually unexpected addition of load as it doesn't stall reversing straight or for that matter forward either.
    Does the short shifter reduce the time between gear changes that makes the clutch easier to engage?

"Sector six, 80, copy the sixth, the sum of the eighth, the quadrant over the ninth, plus 80, four circles, weave the 80 and call the fourth. Copy." - Thufir Hawat, Mentat, Master of Assassins.

11. Default

Im not saying I hate it, im used to it and love everything about my car. Nearly everyne who does get in it still stalls it though

Well that's a releif so really apart from the warranty fix nothing has really come along to change the tricky nature of the clutch. So I am not a completely hopeless driver afterall

Ah Doug as for you being weird since I am new hear I make no comment.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by attica04 View Post
    Ah Doug as for you being weird since I am new hear I make no comment.
    David
    We accept Doug for being weird cause he provided an Aston Martin on one of our cruises! haha

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Aston Martin very nice. Hey doug u can be as weird as u like.

Quote Originally Posted by attica04 View Post
    Aston Martin very nice. Hey doug u can be as weird as u like.
    Check the pics on page 5 on the link below

breakfast-club-cruise

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

RD415, Hi. Re the stall on tight reversing, mine does that too. It's not the clutch - it's transmission wind-up that locks everything up, due partly to the loads imparted by the limited slip rear differential, and the full time AWD. My Toyota Landcruiser also has the same setup, limited slip diff and full-time AWD and does the same thing. We have a car-park at our local shops that has a speed hump at the rear of each bay, so you have to back out tight, turn and transect the hump all at once. A lot of load-up. I have stalled the MPS6 there on occasion.

Avoiding full lock turns under load is the easiest way to avoid this. If that is not possible, then you can do it in small bites perhaps. It can be overcome by application of more power, but that doesn't reduce the lockup, just enables you to apply sufficient power to overcome the only way the car is going to move and this is by scrubbing the tyres. Cars with fatter tyres will experience it more. You will note that it will not do it, or will do it less under otherwise identical circumstances, on a slippery/gravel surface, as these surfaces enable the tyres to slip easily and relieve the transmission wind-up. You will find that occasionally, the diff will click or groan as the plates slip, depending on the severity of the turn. It sounds painful but doesn't hurt the diff unless you make a habit of it.

In short, no matter how big or how new, or how wonderful your clutch is, it will still do it.

This is an issue often dealt with by 4WD drivers, most particularly where there is no centre diff to compensate. However, talking of making a habit of it, the mining industry used to blow up out lots of FJ45/55/65 gearbox transfer cases (no centre diff) that couldn't handle prolonged low-range 4WD use on tight turns when working underground, even on loose (but still hard and unforgiving) rock surfaces. These cars were often locked permanently in 4WD low range as part of the mine safety directives, so the boxes and transfer cases never got a chance and would last mere months in some cases.

Hope this useful advice compensates for being weird! :-)
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 22-09-2010 at 06:33 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Nice of you to agree that they stall - maybe not necessarily a clutch fault but you have to admit that a better controlled clutch would relieve the stalling. Of course it's not a direct clutch fault, but the fact that you can't manipulate the clutch and increase the revs to compensate for driveline wind - up - I'll keep blamimg the clutch operation thanks.

Pretty useless advice actually - please don't take offence, because with a good clutch operation the car could be driven to overcome the problem. I am actually offended that you didn't check my profile and qualifications before giving me advice.

Just by the way my last car was a crapadore that did exactly the same diff lock up, never stalled it, just clunked away happily, but I could feel it coming on and increase revs while manipulating clutch pedal, something you can't do in an MPS6.

Hi RD, I didn't mean to sound patronizing if that is how you felt I was being - I appreciate that you are more familiar in this area. But there are others here who may never have heard of or be familiar with transmission wind-up. It can take considerable power to overcome, if that is what one wished to do and to put up with the graunches from the back end as it can sound like mechanical bastardry.

I only stalled the once in the situation I described. But also did so once in my Cruiser - that speed hump is a bitch. And the 4500 Petrol Cruiser has a giant clutch and lots of grunt as you will know. I guess you might disagree but I still think that if you asked the average driver to drive a manual car directly over a curb from a standing start hard-up against the curb, an effort I'd estimate as equivalent to overcoming worst-case wind-up, they would likely also stall their engine, and that they would probably feel it was the fault of the obstacle, not the clutch. That might include the first attempt in a 4WD for those unfamiliar with it, even given the advantage of larger wheel diameter. And I doubt they'd say, "I wish my car was a tracked vehicle so it could do this".
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 24-09-2010 at 11:25 AM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

My clutch was always a mole and never consistant. I now have a solid lightend/balanced flywheel with 5 puck brass sprung disc and farken heavy pressure plate and its a dream! easy shifts, easy take offs and if I dont get it right... a broken mount lol!

MPS2NV, interesting - so who did the mod or what was the parts source?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast