User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GEN 2 SRI's & CEL's

Default GEN 2 SRI's & CEL's

After Dessa's post on getting a Cel after installing an SRI I did a search on other MS3 forums and was suprised at what I found. It seems that Gen 2 owners are having this occur with other brands of intake but not consistantly. Here's a link to a recent poll on Mazdaspeed forums.

Does your SRI cause a CEL ? - Mazdaspeed Forums

I thought this deserved its own thread. Here's another interesting link.

First CEL on Mazdaspeed3 - Page 2 - Mazda Forums

This should be a good topic for you tech guys to ponder.
    I'll be back to discuss the issue further later. Back to work now.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

I'm wondering what the VIN range is of the vehicle's getting CEL's?
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

any other gen 2 owners having cel with your intake?

I've had his intakes almost when he first advertised I think, Not one issue! I love the unit and i've had people that have swapped their filters for the same one as mine. Must be unlucky with yours.

'fillo' contacted me this morning. He has a CEL after a week. OLDHEAD contacted me yesterday. He also has a CEL now but I believe he might have been getting them before the intake install. None of the GEN 1 owners or early GEN 2 owners have had a CEL. The one thing that's in common with these 3 vehicles is that they are all new and have low kms.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

Another case

'10 Mazda 3 Sport CEL Code P0462 - 2010 Mazda 3/Mazdaspeed 3 Forums

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

Dessa and oldhead are both from Melbourne. fillo is from NSW. Has the temperature dropped down south in the last couple of days guys? Seems like these CEL's have all come up within a couple of days of one another.
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

Gen 1 stock maf housing ID 66.5mm
    Gen 2 stock maf housing ID 68.0mm

bing bing... this would be why

and id assume that the later gen 2 are having this issue because they are running the latest mazda software. Which prob throws the CEL in a smaller window of LTFT's
    Last edited by Doc; 19-04-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Gen 1 stock maf housing ID 66.5mm
    Gen 2 stock maf housing ID 68.0mm

bing bing... this would be why

and id assume that the later gen 2 are having this issue because they are running the latest mazda software. Which prob throws the CEL in a smaller window of LTFT's
    I new it would be you that came up with the answer DOC. We'll you've solved half the mystery. The other half is why haven't any of the GEN2's in QLD with intakes designed around the GEN1 housing thrown CEL's? The answer has to be air temperature / density. It's the combination of these two factors which is throwing the CEL.

Now I need to come up with a solution. Any advice would be much appreciated.

4500 klms Gen 2 ,After Ist install ,had no CEL, but after dismantling and installing new air box and SRI ,i had a CEL. No problem ,disconnect wiring loom ,wait 10 seconds and re-instal wire loom,CEL will diappear. Travelled 400klms since 2nd install and NO cel.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    4500 klms Gen 2 ,After Ist install ,had no CEL, but after dismantling and installing new air box and SRI ,i had a CEL. No problem ,disconnect wiring loom ,wait 10 seconds and re-instal wire loom,CEL will diappear. Travelled 400klms since 2nd install and NO cel.
    Was the air temp cold when you got the cell?

This is all very interesting to me because most intake manufacturers are still using the GEN 1 size Maf housing. I would imagine a tune would rectify the issue but that's not necessarily in everybodies budget.

what will be the solution re design the sri body size ?

I have contacted the intake pipe manufacturer for advice on the best course of action. Other manufacturers appear to looking into the problem too. I Will keep you updated. Really sorry for the inconvenience Derek. Hopefully we'll have this sorted soon.

EDIT already suggested..

ok.. well the gen 2s require a larger diameter maf housing..

how much meat is there in the flow straighteners?

if you grind down the thickness of the straighteners.. you are increasing the cross sectional area/volume of the maf housing..

Going back to Bernoulli's, this larger (ever so slightly) volume, will slow down the intake air just a tad.. and hopefully bring the fuel trims back into their window.

Otherwise.. just remove the straighteners all together (gasp!!!).. they arent really needed because the air filter is straight in front of the maf.. its nat as though its a CAI with bends just before the MAF.

Let me know what you think

Doc

After Ist install No Cel .then car traveled 2 hrs at approx 100klms air temp 30 C. NO CEL. Car then in garage for approx 4 hrs whilst fab air box ,start car ,and throw CEL.outside temp approx 30C. Tim I dont seriously believe air temp causes prob. Diff between MAF housing is minimal ,between 66.5mm and 68mm should not cause prob as this is strictly air intake. Prob will be as i see it, that air flow is increased from orig setting and once Ecu sees a change it throws CEL. Re set wire loom and prob disappears as ecu will now recognize intake increase.I can not understand what the fuss is about. All input welcomed . Thanks Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    ok.. well the gen 2s require a larger diameter maf housing..

how much meat is there in the flow straighteners?

if you grind down the thickness of the straighteners.. you are increasing the cross sectional area/volume of the maf housing..

Going back to Bernoulli's, this larger (ever so slightly) volume, will slow down the intake air just a tad.. and hopefully bring the fuel trims back into their window.

Otherwise.. just remove the straighteners all together (gasp!!!).. they arent really needed because the air filter is straight in front of the maf.. its nat as though its a CAI with bends just before the MAF.

Let me know what you think

Doc
    PM sent

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

After Ist install No Cel .then car traveled 2 hrs at approx 100klms air temp 30 C. NO CEL. Car then in garage for approx 4 hrs whilst fab air box ,start car ,and throw CEL.outside temp approx 30C. Tim I dont seriously believe air temp causes prob. Diff between MAF housing is minimal ,between 66.5mm and 68mm should not cause prob as this is strictly air intake. Prob will be as i see it, that air flow is increased from orig setting and once Ecu sees a change it throws CEL. Re set wire loom and prob disappears as ecu will now recognize intake increase.I can not understand what the fuss is about. All input welcomed . Thanks Tim.
    At the rick of sounding stupid. What do you mean by Re set wiring loom?
    Last edited by DISIMS3; 19-04-2010 at 12:59 PM.

incorrect..

ECU sees X amount of air FLOW..
    if you INCREASE the diameter of the MAF housing.. you are decreasing the amount of air the engine is seeing, not the amount of air the engine is getting.. Engine thinks its getting less air, so it adds less fuel. Oxygen sensor in exhaust detects a slightly leaner condition, and ADDS fuel INCREASING the POSITIVE LTFT.
    IF you DECREASE the diameter of the MAF housing. you are INCREASING the amount of air the engine thinks its getting. Again, not the amount of air its actually getting.

An intake will not allow more air to flow into the engine. This is dictated directly by the intake stroke/boost. What the intake will do is cause less restriction. The MAF cares not about restriction.

Cheers guys

Doc

Default Re: GEN 2 SRI's & CEL's

This is kinda strange. I've driving my car when it's been cold enought that the cold engine light has been on for around 10mins. When I've installed mine I didn't remove the battery I just when for a quick cruise and tries to get my car to show a cel( sort of racing it). So far round 8~9000k's and nothing, sounds fkn awesome!. Even had has it removed to get the heatsheild installed!...

Quote Originally Posted by Brackaus View Post
    This is kinda strange. I've driving my car when it's been cold enought that the cold engine light has been on for around 10mins. When I've installed mine I didn't remove the battery I just when for a quick cruise and tries to get my car to show a cel( sort of racing it). So far round 8~9000k's and nothing, sounds fkn awesome!. Even had has it removed to get the heatsheild installed!...
    I guess air temp is unrelated? The only other common denominator is the age of the vehicles. Maybe mazda have released a new ECU update since yours was fitted?

Default Re: GEN 2 SRI's & CEL's

Well mines been throught a service in march, no issues or warrenty issues either from Mazda!

Tim ,to the left of battery box is a wiring housing ,just above connection point of SRI. Remove lid and disconnect all couplers (3) wait 10 sec ,then reconnect.
    Doc, thanks heaps for very useful info. But i have not thrown another CEL since. Apparently even gen1,s have thrown CEL after looking at USA sites.

Disconnect the ECU harness you mean. With the battery connected?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast