User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Illegal BoV's

ive been running 50/50 for a while now. if i plumbed it back 100%, after some driving and readjustments of the ecu should i notice any difference in anything? as the car was tuned at 50/50 would this cause the change of BOV to 100% plumb back, to be pointless as it was tuned the other way?

I had a bit of a chuckle about this thread - worried about the legality of BOV's ????

POD filters are illegal in NSW - how many MPS's and other cars are fitted with POD Filters.

If you do the right thing and don't get caught - really who will know!!!

From a technical point, BOV's that vent to atmoshere make noise just for show - there is no real advantage other than what "pockets" said and it is that they are usually better quality than standard.

ME , i got defected for my trumpet BOV about a month ago, they didnt even hear it go off it was a random pull over, rbt, pop your bonnet please

Bam, BOV venting to atmosphere.

Easy way, how I plan to fix it so i can continue to use is fit a piece of pipe to the front of the trumpet and run the pipe behind the block, presto looks plumbed in to system

Gen I MPS's usually fly under the radar...

Yeah im sure if your MPS still looks stockish cops wont even look at you twice

the cop that pulled me over when i lost my licence heard my bov and was asking me if the mazda 3's even came turbo in stock trim. he had no idea wat the car was until i told him. He didnt even bother asking me to look under the hood.
    Last edited by STEALTH_MPS; 24-02-2010 at 07:37 AM.

True, hmm maybe my age and shopping list and interior made him look under my bonet

lol people always ask me if i put the turbo in myself

So i also tossed up the question between these BOVs with one of our performance stores here in Brisbane. Originally i was thinking of putting in a CPE HKS SSQV Bov but he recommends me to go turbosmart due to the "harder springs" it has which can handle the high boost of the Gen 2. Apparently the spring rate in the SSQV is an old design and i will actually be getting a leak and loose boost? Anyone fitted either of these can validate whether this is true? Maybe someone from MPS garage?

lies

on both accounts

The nature/mechanics of the CPE unit dictates a better BOV (i dont have one by the way.. not fan boy info)

The turbosmart is fully adjustable.. from soft to stupid hard.. so that is also a stupid point..

Remember where this 'shop' is... drive away and dont go back

To me the HKS valve sounds like a pigeon being runover (for your consideration).

ive never run one over...

I like my GFB valve.. Its well made.. simple construction and its not huge..

For what its worth

what's a GFB doc?

Default Illegal BoV's

Go fast bits

Quote Originally Posted by DISIMS3 View Post
    To me the HKS valve sounds like a pigeon being runover (for your consideration).
    Thats the best one I have ever heard

CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Hmm Digging up old threads,

Was talking to this dude at a Shop.. and also looking online as was asked about BOV's being illegal... found this:

"Some people have asked if whether or not venting the BOV to the atmosphere is legal. It is perfectly legal! Why? Because its just regular air... the air that surrounds us. Its just the air from outside that the turbo has sucked in.

Venting the WASTEGATE to the atmosphere on the other hand IS very illegal, because it is venting EXHAUST GASES to the atmosphere which to be legal, MUST go through the catalytic converter.
    "

Interesting is that this is almost word for word what alot of shop keepers tell me, and surprising i have had one cop say that same thing. The only thing they can get you on was "excess Noise", but since that is up to the police officer.. who knows. IT's suppost to be under "ADR 28/83" but after reading it.. it's mostly about Buses and other useless crap (fuel usage)

Still reading it all.. found another website that is all about the rules of "ADR"... really interesting... for a police officer to get you on the "excessive noise" complaint, there are heaps of rules to do testing with... Might be reading this wrong, but for a 'moving' test, they have to have the mic 7.5m from the car? are they even going to measure that when they test?

The biggest thing i want to know is.. It's it really illgeal. I get heaps of talks about yes this is and no it isn't. It's not just BOV, is almost any mods. (eg FMIC, Gauges)

It would be nice to have a "Save Mod" thread, with Link or a image of the document to show what is and isn't?

just saying...
    OMG pressing the right pedal makes me go forward!...but pressing the middle doesn't.. hows does that work?... aliens...

There's way too much apocryphal crap talked about BOVs and BPV's and how they are "different" or "how they hold or don't hold boost" or any one of a thousand other myths. It's a snap to google the technicalities and understand what exactly goes on and what their purpose is.

They are essentially the same thing in engineering intent but differ in sophistication, design and functionality. I wouldn't stress too much over which is which. A bypass valve (BPV) as its name implies, simply bypasses. A blow off valve (BOV) may only VTA or in some cases may be able do both, as in the Turbosmart, which can be set up to VTA 100%, Bypass (recirc) 100% or 50:50 of either. Hence the need to stick to one term. I think most of us in the automotive context should be comfortable with "BOV" as a generic term and assume it refers to its intent as opposed to its precise functionality or destination of discharge.

But if you want to vent 100% to amosphere (100% VTA) - legally or otherwise - then the issue is backfiriing and excessive fuel washing off the lubricant on the cylinder walls, unless you set up your ECU to cut fuel at the time of throttle lift-off. Partial (50 Bypass:50 VTA) does not encounter the same issues but the BOV must still be setup to minimize backfiring.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12