User Tag List

Thread: Possible issue after fitting new tyres

Default Possible issue after fitting new tyres

Two days ago I had new 225/45/18's fitted to the car all round. Since i have driven the car twice and found that when cold there is a strange noise coming from the front of the car right when the clutch engages.
    The weirdest thing though is that it only happens for say the first 10 minutes of driving then miraculously disappears. The car seems to perform as normal but it is a very disconcerting sound, has any one come accross anything like this before, I know it will be one of those things that disappears as soon as I go near a mechanic only to return the next morning!
    And ideas or thoughts would be most welcome.

You might want to talk to shakespeare.

He had some issues with apparent differential wind up after fitting different tyres to his mps 6.

Ahh interesting I have heard of 'wind up' on 4WD's left in 4WD mode on the road, maybe it is what I am experiencing, I will PM Shakespeare and see what he thinks. Thanks for the heads up.

Hey mate, as mentioned in the PM, I'm not sure if the noise you're experiencing is tyre size related. I still get some noise from the front when engaging the clutch and changing up when cold and for the first 10-15 minutes until everything has warmed up. Had it this morning too and I'm now back on stock sized tyres

Have a look at the Diff thread, as this details most diff related problems and the issues I had with non-standard tyres.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...solutions.html

Hope this helps
    Chris
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Cheers Shakes. I had an issue with my front right outside shoulder wearing much much faster than the other three and was looking to replace with the same sized 225/40/18's but was told that hey are not legal size on a 7 inch rim. I'm not going to have to buy 4 new tyres but I've ordered the standard size 215/45/18's @ ~$240 each. Falken 912's I believe. Hope they do the job better than the low rate rubbish the previous owner had on it.