User Tag List

Thread: If your going to lower your car in NSW, do it before Aug 1

Default If your going to lower your car in NSW, do it before Aug 1

From news.com.au

Approval from RTA needed to raise or lower car suspension

AAP

July 16, 2009 12:11pm

NEW laws making it an offence to raise or lower a car's suspension without proper approval is about saving lives, New South Wales Roads Minister Michael Daley says.

From August 1, car owners will be limited to raising or lowering their suspension by no more than five centimetres, and all modifications will need approval from Roads and Traffic Authority engineers.

Currently, a car can be raised or lowered by up to five centimetres without approval and by up to 15 centimetres with approval.

Mr Daley says while drivers may think a lowered car looks "cool" it really is dangerous and any adjustment of more than five centimetres doesn't belong on the road.

"I don't want to see young hoons putting their lives or the lives of others at risk, just because they think their car looks better 15 centimetres closer to the ground," Mr Daley said.

"Raising or lowering a vehicle's height can put the driver, passengers and other road users at risk.

"It can affect handling, braking and safety features such as electronic stability control."

Any vehicle that is raised or lowered after August 1 will have to carry a certificate stating that the modifications confirm to safety standard requirements.

shizen.
    Mine is already lowered on eibachs - but how will they know its been done prior?

Just another way to get defected.. Thanks NSW.

I actually just read that - (Courier Mail)

You make a valid point Justin.. HOW will they know when you lowered it?

Me too, dont know how they would prove the dates of lowering, maybe the suspension installer will be required to issue the paperwork for the certificate, all I can think of is whether you might have to show your invoice detailing the spring install date, assuming you still have it, or didnt do the install yourself.

Ive been talking to east coast lately about another issue, I'll pick their brains next time I speak with them.

Quote Originally Posted by DanSP23Bris View Post
    I actually just read that - (Courier Mail)

You make a valid point Justin.. HOW will they know when you lowered it?
    They wont, they will just defect you anyway i reccon.

When I had my SSS i used to get pulled over all the time. Everything on it was legal but they would defect me for being too low, wheels too big etc.. the officers that pulled me over didnt even know the rules..
    The main one was because my wheels were apparently more than two inches bigger than stock they were illegal.. but with the profile of tyre I had they were in fact legal.

Just prepare to have a sore behind if your car draws too much attention.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Me too, dont know how they would prove the dates of lowering, maybe the suspension installer will be required to issue the paperwork for the certificate, all I can think of is whether you might have to show your invoice detailing the spring install date, assuming you still have it, or didnt do the install yourself.

Ive been talking to east coast lately about another issue, I'll pick their brains next time I speak with them.
    In some cases, even if it is engineered you will still get a defect, its kind of pointless.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

wow and i thought NZ car laws were ****ed..

Heard this on the radio this morning.... I love how he keeps refering to people who lower (or raise) their cars as "hoons"..

I suppose the raising part refers to the hillbilly's who jack their 4x4's up to the point that they tip over at the thought of going around a bend.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    I suppose the raising part refers to the hillbilly's who jack their 4x4's up to the point that they tip over at the thought of going around a bend.
    we get quite a few clowns in WA who try this mainly in the bush. Looks ridiculous when you see them drive around like this in the city especially when you need a ladder to climb in! Useful only in the bush!
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

I'm one of those hillbillys who love camping & going to remote places like the Simpson Desert. I have 50mm lift on the 4WD & it is definately noticable. We don't have to worry about lowering the MPS any lower than 50mm because I think you could not lower it by that much without it bottoming out.

i have height adjustable coilovers in my car so does this mean that i will need an engineers cert every time i make an adjustment?

Ok, when I first read that I thought damn maybe I should get it done straight away, but now thinking about it, as you say J-Mac, how would they know that you have lowered it prior Aug 1st and they will ask for a Engineers Cert. I hate how these laws generalise all road users. Having said that a 30mm drop on an MPS 6 atleast still looks like how the car should have come from factory so it's not exactly the fully sik look how low my car is attention grabber.

Does it apply to air suspension??

15. Default

Does anyone know how they are regulating this?