User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TMIC vs FMIC?

Default TMIC vs FMIC?

Which do you prefer and why?

I always assumed FMIC's were better but have seen in here a few people going back to TMIC after having a FMIC. Im a bit confused as to which way to go.....

How much power do you want to make?
    A tmic will support you just fine up until the point you need extra fuel...

Unless you want the bling of a fmic
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 06-11-2014 at 11:37 AM.

fmic.. close thread lol

Quote Originally Posted by skeetskeet View Post
    fmic.. close thread lol
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    How much power do you want to make?
    A tmic will support you just fine up until the point you need extra fuel...

Unless you want the bling of a fmic
    ^^^ this

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Why?
    no reason just my opinion

fmic kills the BATS , tmic is good for less lag but still has heat soak issues ..

Default TMIC vs FMIC?

This is like the racepipe/downpipe debate.

FMIC will have less heat soak in traffic, probably slightly better cooling at WOT; and look better; but is expensive; difficult to fit; may involve messing with crash bars (on a gen 2 at least); will be ruined I you hit a roo/fox/big snail; and I think is potentially illegal to fit in some states (not 100% on this one though).

A TMIC will provide 90% of the cooling until you get to really big turbos; cools quickly when you get moving; costs half as much; is a sinch to fit; is legal and inconspicuous.

TMIC + meth and/or e85 > a FMIC imo
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

TL-DR version
    Unless you are flowing too much air for a tmic to cope, (looking at 260-270kw+) or need power from a stand still (drag racing) a tmic will suit you just fine

isnt meth Illegal?

Eth ain't @skeetskeet

isnt meth Illegal?
    Most of the mods we do to our cars are

lol tru dat

I love these threads, they go on forever and everyone gets mad as!
    I went with TMIC from cpe, seems to do the job well and I haven't noticed any heat soak issues.....but then I'm only running 200kwatw.....

Honestly I think that with a good turbo, air intake and TMIC there isn't any reason why you couldn't do 300kwatw on a 6.

Quote Originally Posted by wsDKII View Post
    I love these threads, they go on forever and everyone gets mad as!
    I went with TMIC from cpe, seems to do the job well and I haven't noticed any heat soak issues.....but then I'm only running 200kwatw.....

Honestly I think that with a good turbo, air intake and TMIC there isn't any reason why you couldn't do 300kwatw on a 6.
    You'd run out of fuel first otherwise yeah, but that would be close the limit of air a tmic can flow...

Also, as strange as it may sound, in some ways aftermarket tmic's are worse than stock

Whilst it takes longer for them to heat up and heat soak, it also takes longer for them to shed that heat...

But that's a tube & fin vs bar & plate argument!
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

15. Default

I have had stock ,corksport and ETS TMICS on my car and recently switched to COBB FMIC on a Gen 2 with a gtx2867 running meth, the only reason i went FMIC is for drags, the TMICs even with meth heat soaked in the staging lanes and burn out process that it caused the tune to flick over to high BAT mode which pulls timing and richens up AFRS, the BATS didn't start falling until after the 400m run which is way too late.

The FMIC gets rid of the soak by 2nd gear, power wise it made no more than the ETS and seems to spool the same, the FMIC actually runs higher bats during cruising etc, they only drop once going WOT...as SarcasticOne said TMIC do the job fine..FMIC for Circuit/Drags.....The corksport maxed out around 265kw on mine, the ETS can do a tad over 300kw.
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

isnt meth Illegal?
    You will have to read up on your state rules. Generally water injection is allowed as it is not a fuelling system. A mechanical engineer friend of mine confirmed that you can add up to 50% alcohol without changing that status.
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    You will have to read up on your state rules. Generally water injection is allowed as it is not a fuelling system. A mechanical engineer friend of mine confirmed that you can add up to 50% alcohol without changing that status.
    Any idea where this is covered? I haven't been able to find any real info other than forum talk (but maybe I'm searching the wrong terms). If 50% is legal that would be awesome.
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Any idea where this is covered? I haven't been able to find any real info other than forum talk (but maybe I'm searching the wrong terms). If 50% is legal that would be awesome.
    I struggle to believe that...
    It would be classified as a secondary fuel tank in a non-oem mounting location...

There's something about goods vehicles over 4.5 tonnes, but that's it
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Queensland is under the NCoP for vehicle modifications.

I have searched extensively and I cannot find any prohibition of water injection. On the other hand NOX is clearly banned.

I don't know what regulations apply in other states.

My mate is in to performance and drag cars and used to be licensed to certify vehicle modifications in QLD.

I asked him specifically if WMI up to 50% was permissible and he said yes.

The rationale is that up to 50% alcohol the blend is not flammable and therefore it is not treated as a fuel.

@Rayd has the same opinion when we discussed this on Facebook.
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

20. Default

Thanks for the replies guys, as cool as a FMIC can look, as I live in Melb I have to put up with 'PrickRoads' so it sounds like an FMIC would probably not be legal here (even if I get it certified by an engineer?).
    I must admit I do like the idea of concealing everything, keeping the car like the wolf is sheeps clothing it was intended to be from the factory.
    So maybe TMIC is the way to go, I wont be taking the car to the drags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast