User Tag List

Thread: Pre-purchase mechanical inspection - issues

Default Pre-purchase mechanical inspection - issues

I am currently searching for a 6 mps.
    In my search I have taken three different cars for a test drive.
    1st car was ok but had geaebox issues.
    2nd was rubbish (and at a dealer)
    3rd was good.

With the 3rd car, the owner had originally said he was happy to get a mechanical check in Rhodes (MRT) but has since changed his mind.

Also does anyone have a short list of the best(5 or so) mechanics to work on an MPS?
    I have heard good things about:
    MRT
    Insight motors

Any others? Tunehouse?
    Last edited by Fever; 08-05-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Mate, it took me 2 years to find the right MPS6 for me (check out my post in the 'members Ride' section for more info on that).

Given that you are 1) looking for a MPS 6 and 2) on a car forum site, ill assume that you actually care about cars. With this in mind i would say the following.

The MPS6 is an interesting car, it is first and foremost a GT, preferring to cruise at high speeds along long, windy country roads. It excels with gear 3 to 4 and 4 to 3 changes, giving you most of the power with ease and quick execution. Because of this design choice, the gears 1 and 2 are short and pretty much designed to get the car moving. If the previous owner has thrashed these gears then you WILL have issues with the gearbox and the clutch at some point. Another issue with the gearbox is the stock oils that Mazda use. I changed mine (read the 'members ride' section for that) and it proved to be a lot better for the gearbox and for shifting.

Apart from the gearbox / clutch issue with the MPS6, are the stock dampeners, which are prone to failure after 40,000-60,000 kms. The control arms can also be an issue.

What i am trying to say is that an inspection is a must with this car. You dont want to be left with costly replacements.

A list of the things i checked when i got mine was:

Clutch response / take up point
    Gearbox feel, crunching, slotting, and level throw
    general suspension travel, rust and camber of the wheels
    Air intake system including airbox, turbo inlet pipe, turboseals, intercooler seals and the BOV seals (all were fine, but there have been issues, especially with smokey turbos with others)
    sustained high RPM with no smoke, pinging, temp increase etc whilst driving

The above are some of the things that can go wrong with the MPS6 over time (others to comment further if required).

I would finish by saying you should probably look into changing these components regardless:

Mazda OEM Timing Chain
    Mazda OEM Timing Chain Tensioner
    Mazda OEM Camshaft Washer
    Mazda OEM Friction Washers x3
    Mazda OEM Crank Pulley Bolt
    Mazda OEM Front Oil Seal
    Mazda OEM Chain Guides
    Mazda OEM Valve Cover Gasket

but maybe im just being paranoid
    wsDK_II
    Radiant Ebony Mazda MPS 6 (September-2007)
    My Ride: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...-services.html
    What is stock????

Thanks for the reply mate.

I personally am very paranoid mostly because if they won't let MRT look at it, I feel like they are hiding something.

ah well. I guess back to car sales!

P.S I am aware of the GT nature of the MPS and that is why I really want one....with 90% of my travel is 500km drives to inland NSW

Sounds good mate, it would be a shame for a mps 6 to go to someone who just wants to beat Holdens and fords off the line :P

But yea, if you can afford to wait for a car that you wont be second guessing, then you might be a happier person :P

Sent from my 920 using Tapatalk

Yeah I can wait - I still have my trusty old 99 Toyota Corolla "thrill" Seca.

Hopefully it doesn't take me 2 years to find one though!

Mate, we should mighty modd that sucker :P

Sent from my 920 using Tapatalk