User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gen II stumbling/stuttering during acceleration

I went repco and asked for earth cable lol. Pretty sure it 8 gauge tho

How old/dirty is your engine oil and oil filter? Perhaps it just needs a new filter and fresh oil.

Cause I had the same issue last night going uphill, and so changed oil/filter this morning and feels lot smoother now.

Quote Originally Posted by 1CMS1 View Post
    Have you waterblastered the engine lately?

I had a similar issue, felt like a rod snapped at times, I had cleaned the engine and water was in the spark plug ports, dried it out, pulled the plugs and cleaned them with a wire brush, did a coil spring stretch and cleaned map sensor plug contacts. Fixed!

Sent from my HTC One X
    No, haven't cleaned the engine at all since we bought it last June/July.

Seems like spark plugs seem to pop up fairly often as problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    Fuel pump is possible but I think it is more simple.

You may well find it is a combination of high BAT's due to low airflow highway driving, at low rpm's, and a small boost surge that the boost controller tries to reign in.

The combination of these two things will make the PCM pull timing, and close off the throttle plate, to control boost spike and KR.

This is especially prevalent when partial throttle boosting, say for hills or overtaking, after a period of time travelling at something like 100km/h.

It would still be worth checking your fuel pump out, since a faulty hpfp is a death sentence on our cars, but I personally think it is more a quirk of Mazda stock tuning, since the oem tune is not great.
    Thanks, I have read something similar to this elsewhere.

Pretty much describes what is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by AzzA SP20 View Post
    Had this 3 times previously.

Cracked porcelain on the spark plug #1
    Each time were less that a thousand km's and one step colder.

Cause of this was total and utter crap factory earth system.
    Solution... Add additional earth straps to block.

First check would pop the plugs out, visual inspection of porcelain. Second check would be spark plug gapping.
    The plug gap is probably my guess in your case.

If plugs check out... Then get HPFP checked out.
    Possibly download torque app on your phone with an elm327 obd reader. Monitor your HPFP pressure for like $30

Its not the greatest... But does the job if no cobb AP
    Thank mate, I'll pull the plugs soon and have a look.

I'll look around for this elm327 reader and app as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob777 View Post
    ^^^ what he said. I exactly the same. Ran 3 new earth cables all fixed. Thought it was cracking the spark plugs, thought it was the coils. It was a shitty earthing system
    Thanks, another thing to check. I remember I had crappy earths on a previous car and it did weird things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ag MPS View Post
    How old/dirty is your engine oil and oil filter? Perhaps it just needs a new filter and fresh oil.

Cause I had the same issue last night going uphill, and so changed oil/filter this morning and feels lot smoother now.
    Oil and filters are 3,000km old. Oil is Motul, filter is oem.

Haven't had a chance to look at this, and this morning it happened again.

120 km/hr in 6th, light acceleration and it started carrying on, together with the fluttering noises in engine bay coming from drivers side.

Will just bite the bullet and book it in with my regular workshop (Brisbane Tuning & Turbo), not Mazda.

Did they resolve it?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Haven't booked it in yet, I'm away for work.

Get back in just over 2 weeks so will book it in then.

They are a 10-15 minute walk from my office so it's really convenient having them close by.

What fuel are you running mate?

Shell 95 usually. Can only think of one fill up that wasn't v-power but that was last year.

A lot of people would argue that you should run 98.........maybe give it a try and see if it still does it.

Would try to do the cheap things first and one at a time. I would also suggest cleaning the MAF sensor as that thing gets real dirty

unless im fully losing my mind... mps 6 ( for context)

i got some new tyres. fronts were not thattt bad but i changed them..
    now i have no stutter/ hesitation..!!

i think maybe as boost came on strong i might have had maybe 1-5% gripless?? and it was causing the traction control to kick in for 1 millisecond.. never noticed the light tho.. weird as

haha could be. Hopefully that's what it was.

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    haha could be. Hopefully that's what it was.
    in 4th and 5th gear?... don't think so.

Yeah doubt that was it. When I bought our car the dealer had put a cheap set of chinese tyres on the front.

It takes a fair bit of stick to get the traction control light to come on.

I haven't booked this in yet, been running around for home reno's and looking at a potential relocation to north QLD.

Went for a drive the other day down to Surfers and back, car performed perfectly. Next tank of fuel I'll try 98 to see if that makes a difference.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Brissy_MPS3 View Post
    Yeah doubt that was it. When I bought our car the dealer had put a cheap set of chinese tyres on the front.

It takes a fair bit of stick to get the traction control light to come on.

I haven't booked this in yet, been running around for home reno's and looking at a potential relocation to north QLD.

Went for a drive the other day down to Surfers and back, car performed perfectly. Next tank of fuel I'll try 98 to see if that makes a difference.
    Just get you plugs pulled and checked please.
    honestly sounds identical to cracked plugs/ ground issue myself and others have had.

if its the type of stutter you describe 98 wont change much (but you should be using 98 anyway )

sorry my issues only happend 2- 3 gears not really 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by AzzA SP20 View Post
    Just get you plugs pulled and checked please.
    honestly sounds identical to cracked plugs/ ground issue myself and others have had.

if its the type of stutter you describe 98 wont change much (but you should be using 98 anyway )
    Just picked car up from workshop - all parameters normal.

They put it down to dodgy fuel and the ecu pulling timing.

I haven't experienced it again, and am on another tank of 98.

Damn it, it happened again today after a few months of flawless running on 98.

Can you guys recommend a elm327 obd reader that's compatible with android? There are heaps on ebay at the moment.

Pulled the plugs on Friday and they were black black but no cracks. Threw a new set in for the hell of it and stretched the coil springs and so far so good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast