User Tag List

Thread: Just another VVT question

1. Default Just another VVT question

Hey Guys,

So I purchased my car a few months ago from a dealership and it turns out it had the dreaded rattle on cold start up which was diagnosed as failure of the VVT actuator and oil control valve by my local Mazda dealership.

Anyway I took it back to the dealership i got it from to get it fixed under statutory warranty along with a couple of other small things, they had no problem with doing it.

So I got it back today and on the receipt it says they inspected the noise on start up and found it to be a failure of the timing chain tensioner and guide and they replaced it along with the timing chain and the VVT was not replaced.

The noise doesn't appear to be there on startup anymore but I'm just wondering if it would have been the timing chain? Or would it have definitely been the vvt and the problem will come back?

Thanks
    2008 MPS3 Sports Pack - Metro Grey

[Cobb SF Intake]-[CP-E TIP]-[CP-E FMIC]-[CP-E 3" Cat Back Exhaust]-[Hypertech Max Energy Sport Tuner]-[Eonon GM5151 Head Unit]-[18x8 +35 wheels]-[Kumho KU39 225/40/18]

Many members are getting high k's out of their VVT units with other parts of the timing train wearing sooner. I personally don't trust VVT units anymore then the other timing train components in these engines and given the VVT isn't expensive as an individual part it pisses me that repairer didnt even give you an option to replace that part even if they were confident the VVT was fine and the extra cost was to be paid you.

I recommend if your getting the timing chain done you should just replace the whole lot that is associated with that so it only needs to be done once... of what I have heard it its a pain in the ass job and will definitely see how bad it its when mitch n jas do mine on friday/saturday

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4

I would have done the whole thing even if I had to contribute, VVT and chain happen at random some go early and some last , noone knows

Yep n mine went a year ago and um still driving on it

I'm doing another one after yours Will, it's in the critical stage should make an interesting write!

7. Default

Thanks for all the replies!

Yeah I didn't even realise the VVT was not being replaced until after I picked it up and read the receipt, I wouldn't have minded paying a bit extra to have it done.

Also My car is a 2008 model, should that mean that I have the "revised" VVT in it, which isn't meant to fail?(even though I've heard they even fail in 2nd Gens)

At least the rattle is gone and the engine just seems to be quieter in general now.

[Cobb SF Intake]-[CP-E TIP]-[CP-E FMIC]-[CP-E 3" Cat Back Exhaust]-[Hypertech Max Energy Sport Tuner]-[Eonon GM5151 Head Unit]-[18x8 +35 wheels]-[Kumho KU39 225/40/18]

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    I'm doing another one after yours Will, it's in the critical stage should make an interesting write!
    Yeah jase was telling me .... lucky it hadnt zzb yet

~ Radiant Ebony 2005 Mazda 6 MPS ~
    SURE REM - SURE TIP & SRI - Corksport 3" DP - Custom Exhaust - DGR Coilovers - SuperPro RSB - CX Racing FMIC with a 2xs touch - 2xs SSP - NGK Iridium Plugs - Autotech FP internals - AWR TMM & PMM Engine mounts - COBB AP - Hankook
    Ventus S1 EVO2 225/45/18 on custom painted stock black rims - Gold Brake calipers
    Dagher Tuned 195kw atw / 425nm

9. Default

So it turns out the rattle on cold start up is STILL there! Damn it!

I will have to call them on Monday and probably have to take it down to Sydney again!
    Just wish they had replaced it in the first place!

Dont stress to much my car still rattles after vvt and timiing chain replaced I cant find it but mitch thinks it could be the vtcs in the inlet manifold. .. im taking them out when I get around to it.. see if that goes away after... oh and I fixed a f**ked pulley as well that I thought the rattle was coming from

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by auscer View Post
    Dont stress to much my car still rattles after vvt and timiing chain replaced I cant find it but mitch thinks it could be the vtcs in the inlet manifold. .. im taking them out when I get around to it.. see if that goes away after... oh and I fixed a f**ked pulley as well that I thought the rattle was coming from

The only reason I am worrying is because the actual VVT wasn't replaced, only the timing chain and tensioner.
    Should I call back the dealership and tell them the rattle on startup is still there?

Absolutely. If they have not fixed the issue it falls on them to diagnose it properly.

Ken oath ya should, ESP if Mazda did it lol