User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Valves cleaned, car starts, dies after rough idle. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Harry View Post
    I think he only got 80000ks @slixx but it was straight forward, five screws holding manifold n some electrical plugs. Problem is not enough room to get your hands around, lot of fiddling n wiggling involved. It just looks piece of cake now. We doing mine soon so should be all right.
    Yup. Should be fine. We are all a couple of experts now!

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

2. Default

After my attempt at cleaning valves and getting the MAP sensor CELs I checked the MAP sensor connector and looked at the rubber grommet inside. Took the grommet out and saw that it was upside down. I Put it the right way, connected it all back together and CELs gone ...yay!

Heeres a photo if the offending connector (driver side of manifold, half way down)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367286728.341844.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	14094

For me one of the sticking points of the valve clean was connecting back the EGR pipe. On reinstall it would be wise to attach the pipe firstly to the actual egr valve(via the 2x 8mm bolts) rather than at the Manifold end (via the 22mm nut). I had such a hard time trying to line the bolt holes after I tightened the 22mm nut. I made it work in the end but it was probably better to back track to undo the 22mm nut rather than press ahead.

It is also highly advantageous to have access to compressed air and/or vacuum. I didn't use compressed air so I couldn't blast the crud out of the valve runners. I used a little dust buster attached with a straw to suck the metho/ carby cleaner out of the runners. The carby cleaner is a strong solvent and did some funny things to the plastic bits to the dust buster (don't tell my wife).

I also used a combo of small narrow nylon and brass brushes for the valve clean but I stopped using the nylon as it was useless, and stopped using the brass brush once a brass filament ended up in the valve runner. I Had a hard time taking the filament out. From that moment I used a blunt flat head screwdriver to scrape the crud after a good soaking in metho/carby cleaner (which is mainly toluene). Got them as clean as I could, still some minor reminants but heaps better than previously. Probably about 80% as good as using an air gun with walnut blasting media.

I'll probably finish off the valve clean process with a conventional foaming intake clean (using brake booster vacc line).

For the clean to be really effective the valves need to be soaked overnight with throttle body cleaner or equivalent. I got mine looking brand new but only after alot of work and a soak overnight with strong bristled brushes in between. The best option is a walnut blaster, I used a shop vac with a hose attached to the end to suck everything out and it worked well.
    Last edited by dazza; 30-04-2013 at 12:17 PM.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by newmaz View Post
    Glad to hear you guys got that drama sorted. God those valves were gunky. I'm betting mine are worse .How many km's on the clock? How difficult was the job beside the fault finding at the end.
    Mine has 57k km on the clock and were cruddy. Agree with @Mr.Harry, its not overly difficult but fiddily at times. It just takes a long time, particularly waiting for the carby cleaner to do its thing. It took me 2 to 2.5 hrs each for the removal and install of the mani, and about half a day for the actual clean (most of which was dwelling time of the carby cleaner / metho. you could spend more time cleaning (more dwell time)

In terms of a guide I followed the sticky on MSF (HOW TO: Clean your valves - easy & cheap - Mazdaspeed Forums), and used JBR's thermal gasket install guide. The only thing that was additional was having to unhook the MAP sensor, and also the PCV hose at the back of the bottom of the manifold. These items were not in the guide as the guide is only for the intstall of the gasket, not the complete removal of the Manifold.

OKAY SO I HAVENT READ THE PREVIOUS COMMENTS IN CASE THIS HAS BEEN SAID: ....

My cousin's evo7 was starting up then dying after 5 seconds or so ... we started her up once and she drove okay for about 5 minutes, she died right as we pulled into my driveway so lucky it was at the top just as it goes downhill. ANYWHO.... it is probably your CRANK ANGLE SENSOR or CAM POSITION SENSOR.
    Hook the little computer data thing up to your car it should tell you the code or what the problem is. Im more leaning to the cam position sensor but could be both. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sinsin View Post
    OKAY SO I HAVENT READ THE PREVIOUS COMMENTS IN CASE THIS HAS BEEN SAID: ....

My cousin's evo7 was starting up then dying after 5 seconds or so ... we started her up once and she drove okay for about 5 minutes, she died right as we pulled into my driveway so lucky it was at the top just as it goes downhill. ANYWHO.... it is probably your CRANK ANGLE SENSOR or CAM POSITION SENSOR.
    Hook the little computer data thing up to your car it should tell you the code or what the problem is. Im more leaning to the cam position sensor but could be both. IMO.
    All fixed now it was the fuel regulator ballast connector...
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

Oh okay. fail to me then. i tried at least

I'll come down to Melb and you can do mine @dazza

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123