User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: short shifter opinions

Blog Entries

Here is another way to do a Free Stiffen... bit more time consuming :P and you need machinery available
    or a friend who is a engineer
    Not everyone has those kinda connections hehe but I know people who have just gotten washers and stacked them up to make up solid bushes.

here you go Ante... google is your friend

I have a TWM short shifter for sale if anyone is after one. It was in the car for less then 6 months, and is in perfect as new condition. I prefer the standard shifter because it's easier to drive in heavy traffic...

PM me if you are intersted.

Cheers,
    Spud.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    here you go Ante... google is your friend

Beleive me i been searching!

its just one of those things.. my wording would have been different to yours...

thanks heaps tho PaulG

Easy to Replicate...

I just struggle to understand how they could charge so much for something...

Hmmm

just breifly

that plastic cup thing they have in the installtion

is that already there from factory.. i have a feeling mine is missing...
    Last edited by Ranton; 15-05-2009 at 10:15 AM.

I have to agree wiht Spud, I have no dramas with the standard shifter!
    Drive a normal Maxx Sport and then get back into the MPS, you'll be happy with the stock unit!!

that thread above had a picture i have been trying to find for a while...

this shows the principal of what i want to modify my Gearbox end of my shift Linkage so i can shorten throws without haveing to drop the height of my Shift Lever!

Depending on which way you move the Nog will determine weather your increase or decrease the throw length.. im not a engineer but i thought it was pretty basic really to draw it out... and show my intention. its quite common practice.. you will probably find that this is infact the difference in the shifter mechs between the model ranges..

the same princpal can be applied to the left and right movement of the shifter as well...

if anyone has a ****ed MPS Gearbox and would be willing to sell me the pictured Mechanisim.. let me know.... i would like to make something up and still ahve my stock unit available if necessary!...

Thanks team

Hope what im trying to depict makes sense but im pretty sure the further away from the Pivot point the shorter the throws get..

... to much effort and risk for me.. lol

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

ph and... if that cup thing is missing then you got issues ?? are you talking about the plastic bit that hols the large ball in place ?? and requires paper clips to remove ? it has to be there !!

Blog Entries

yeah I could see something going epically wrong with that...gold star for thinking outside the box (gear? no pun intended) though.

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    yeah I could see something going epically wrong with that...gold star for thinking outside the box (gear? no pun intended) though.
    such a pessimist lol

I have made shifters before.. its nothing new..

Beleive me its not as complicated as you think it maybe...

Cable Shifting Mechinisms are brilliant and simple in design..

Nor is there much to go wrong... ill do a write up one day if i can ever get one to play with in my spare time

Watch this space.. Ranton performance will be coming to rock the Mazda scene at a Repco near you :P jks jks

the Plastic cup im talking about is the little white one that goes on the small ball end that comes off the side of the main ball end..

i think that's only there to stop metal on metal contact ... could be an issue over time i guess ??

Blog Entries

I'm just used to Mazda's falling apart via gearbox related stuff

Would be interested in that write up though..

I wonder if I could get one for the 2....

Default sts

Well speaking of short shifters. this one arrived this morning. will probably have a fiddle with it after work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	685  

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Well speaking of short shifters. this one arrived this morning. will probably have a fiddle with it after work.

Let us know how you go im so keen to get a short shifter ...amd like the look of this one
    マツダスピード

15. Default

Nice Tone, I knew you would like it. Have a look on the US forum for a complete 'how to' with pics for installation

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic3MPS View Post
    Nice Tone, I knew you would like it. Have a look on the US forum for a complete 'how to' with pics for installation
    Yeah first impressions...It looks cool. Luckily there was a full set of instructions with pictures on installation in the box.So I think ill be able to manage this one. As for the #20 Torx wrench required. I could do this with a socket set hey? tighten it tight then some more?

17. Default

Yeah first impressions...It looks cool. Luckily there was a full set of instructions with pictures on installation in the box.So I think ill be able to manage this one. As for the #20 Torx wrench required. I could do this with a socket set hey? tighten it tight then some more?
    Yeah, I think that is overkill. Certainly did not seem necessary when I did mine. Just be very careful not to overtighten the allen studs that go into the aluminium housing

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic3MPS View Post
    Yeah, I think that is overkill. Certainly did not seem necessary when I did mine. Just be very careful not to overtighten the allen studs that go into the aluminium housing
    Yeah they are probably they be safe and suggest the use of one rather then saying "tighten tight".

Ill remember to be careful with the studs.You are referring to the little ones that go into the big peice with COBB written on it? the ones that adjust height of the gear stick?

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LYNCHY View Post
    Let us know how you go im so keen to get a short shifter ...amd like the look of this one
    Once ive got it in. ill let you know how it goes. I think ill schedule a docs appt for tomorrow. haha

19. Default

Correct but I think most of the issues occurred when they sent out the wrong sized shaft with the first batch and people were overtightening (myself among these)

Would it be a bit silly having an exposed shifter?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast