User Tag List

Thread: Turbo shaft play

Question Turbo shaft play

Hi
    Upon installing my CS SRI the other day I found that there was about 1/2mm play with the turbo shaft. The motor isn't burning oil and feels as strong as when I bought the car. I'm assuming that a little play is usual. Is this the case? Or is my turbo on the way out?

Cheers

pulled my stocker out of storage, this is it with ~62k km on it...
    not sure if good or bad

this might give you a better idea:

as long as you can freely spin the turbine while applying slight pressure on the shaft aswell as extruding movements without it scraping, grinding, hits the housing or make any strange noises as it turns, then all good

in and out is usually fine (depending how much it moves) its up and down you dont want.

Default Turbo shaft play

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    in and out is usually fine (depending how much it moves) its up and down you dont want.
    My missus disagrees.....

Terrific info, thanks. My turbo has about the same play as the ones above at 120K Kms

Default Turbo shaft play

As has been said....

If its not squeeling and it's not burning oil/blowing white smoke you shouldn't really be concerned - and if it is - well, shit happens and you replace or rebuild.

I used to boost an 18yr old TO3 garrett on my r31 skyline to 14 psi ( double is intended duty ) for years without complaint..... I'm sure these newer turbos are a bit more compliant, but at the the end of the day they're just another piece of machinery. So long as you keep the oil changes up they should go for years ahead.