User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil cooler?

Default Oil cooler?

Hi all. I was looking at the price of engine oil coolers and the kits have come down in price. Has any one fitted an oil cooler to their MPS?
    Was thinking would be a benifit as its a high heat/tight engine bay.
    Cheers

the mps already comes with an oil cooler that cooled by the coolant system. But im sure that adding a cooler can only benefit. Make sure the cooler has a thermostat. you may need to convert to a spin-on oil filter to fit the fittings

you will have to convert to a spin on with a sandwich plate for the cooler

Yeah it's what comes in the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    the mps already comes with an oil cooler that cooled by the coolant system. But im sure that adding a cooler can only benefit. Make sure the cooler has a thermostat. you may need to convert to a spin-on oil filter to fit the fittings
    the standard oil cooling system can be greatly increased i have a oil temp gauge on my 6 and after a hard run the oil can be sitting anywhere from 105 deg to 130deg depend on outside temp etc, also as your water can be hotter then 100 deg as its under slight pressure (15kpa i think correct me if im wrong ) its actually heating up your oil i would personally like to see temps at max 110 -115 deg pushing hard around a track and 80-90deg normal running temp not the 100deg running temp that they all sit at, at the moment.

I was thinking of a twin cooler system one water, one oil . i was going to remove the lines feeding both the engine oil cooler and the transfer oil cooler hot water from the motor and run separate cold water system to these parts with its own external cooler, reservoir and pump and a sandwich plate for an external oil cooler, and was thinking of running a scavenger pump off to external cooler for the trans, but im building mine up for track work
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

water cooler? isnt that what a radiator is for?

For track work it would be wise for an oil cooler, but for daily street car ??

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    water cooler? isnt that what a radiator is for?

For track work it would be wise for an oil cooler, but for daily street car ??
    yes but your radiator is constantly at around 100deg in temp, read what i said again, would you use a hot water source for a liquid to air intercooler??? NO... same goes with your oil we are meant to be cooling it not heating it up/keeping it at a constant temp

a street car would still benefit from a external cooler due to how hot our motors run,
    too higher oil temp = quicker deterioration of oil = more engine wear

Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

I meant if you had an oil cooler (decoupled from the coolant system), why would you need another water cooler. Just get a better/larger radiator

edit: i think i get it now, you want to add another water cooler to cool the oil system? bit overkill imo, more parts that could fail and weight.
    Last edited by lup15; 03-08-2012 at 03:43 PM.

not really considering i have the 6 mps and the transfer case oil cooler runs of the engine water and it gets really hot also most of the pipes are already there so all im really doing is changing the their route adding 2 pipes that go to the front and adding a cooler and a pump, no reservoir i think as even if the water gets up to 70 deg its still doing a better job then the 100deg engine coolant also if it works well i wont even need the external cooler for the oil

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

maybe even a twin external cooler for the oil cooling system not hard to add one on and doubles your cooling efficiency

130 degrees for oil is fine. don't get too hung up on that. depending on your oil, that is within normal spec.

i do like you idea of bypassing the water to oil coolers. as they are really only there to regulate the temps. but just getting a air to oil coolers for both would be enough.

i have one of those water to oil transmission coolers on one of my 3s. would be very easy to bypass it and just put a few new longer length pipes in place and attached a 9 row air to oil cooler. just put it somewhere safe where the front wheel wont kick crap onto it.

130 oil temp. Wow

also our oil pumps pump out a lot of psi my oil pressure gauge regularly say's MAX so that's 150psi+ oil pressure @ 6000 - 6500rpm, so if you do go air to oil it better be a bloody good core or it will go pop and you will be left there cursing your mother haha

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shr3da View Post
    130 oil temp. Wow
    i know right, but it has never peaked that high since i got the fmic

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by projectrracing View Post
    130 degrees for oil is fine. don't get too hung up on that. depending on your oil, that is within normal spec.

i do like you idea of bypassing the water to oil coolers. as they are really only there to regulate the temps. but just getting a air to oil coolers for both would be enough.

i have one of those water to oil transmission coolers on one of my 3s. would be very easy to bypass it and just put a few new longer length pipes in place and attached a 9 row air to oil cooler. just put it somewhere safe where the front wheel wont kick crap onto it.

For every 18deg Fahrenheit (10.3deg c) in oil temp increase, your oil deterioration doubles, so say if our engines regular and optimum engine oil temp is 90 - 100 deg then @ 130 deg your oil is deteriorating 6 times faster then normal which is not good in any ones books

Quote Originally Posted by Axspeed6 View Post
    For every 18deg Fahrenheit (10.3deg c) in oil temp increase, your oil deterioration doubles, so say if our engines regular and optimum engine oil temp is 90 - 100 deg then @ 130 deg your oil is deteriorating 6 times faster then normal which is not good in any ones books
    That would be correct if there was only one grade of oil available. But there isn't, there are many different oils out there, and their rates of flow, even up to 150deg.c is very different to eachother.

You just pick the right one for the application being used, and you wont have shearing at high temps.

All oils have product data sheets available from the manufacturers websites, and you can see what centi-strokes (cSt) the oils are at air temp, 40deg.c, 100deg.c. And some motorsports types even show 150deg.c. Most don't though as there isn't really a big market/care factor for everyday users.

So most if not all MZR engines like a flow rate of 10-12 cSt at operating temp 100deg.c. So if you are running over 100deg.c temps, just gotta do a little maths on which oil to use and go from there.

read http://www.lubeng.com.au/assets/file...egradation.pdf it applies for most motor oil types, there is a safe running temp for most motors of 80 - 115deg c, 135deg c max wanted temp but not prefered so if you are running hotter for extended periods of time eg track work, things start to go very wrong

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

also i'm not running a F1 car so going into that much depth with oil cSt's is a bit much as long as you buy the right weight from a good oil manufacture i use AMS then you should be ok, anyway i was talking about deterioration being increased due to heat +all the other problems described in the above link also your oil flow rate changes as it deteriorates and dirties so those figure are just a "starting" rate and dont represent a oils flow rate's over time and use, as its a rate that is completely variable between every single model of the combustion engine ever made(even same series engines can be different) it cant be calculated properly and as we dont know the exact rate we apply preventative measures eg cooling to minimise risk, the mazda MZR DISI engine oil flow rate @ 100deg c is 297(43psi) - 551kPa(79psi) @ 3000rpm, double that for @ 6000rpm and you get 594kPa(86psi) - 1102kPa(159psi)

read http://www.lubeng.com.au/assets/file...egradation.pdf it applies for most motor oil types, there is a safe running temp for most motors of 80 - 115deg c, 135deg c max wanted temp but not prefered so if you are running hotter for extended periods of time eg track work, things start to go very wrong
    according to that link, it is 135C + 11C for shiz to do wrong, hence why i said 130C isn't a problem and not to get too hung up about it.

also i'm not running a F1 car so going into that much depth with oil cSt's is a bit much as long as you buy the right weight ..... the mazda MZR DISI engine oil flow rate @ 100deg c is 297(43psi) - 551kPa(79psi) @ 3000rpm, double that for @ 6000rpm and you get 594kPa(86psi) - 1102kPa(159psi)
    cSt is important, as the oil ability to flow at certain temps has a direct impact on oil pressure.

anywayz, back to why i said 130C isn't a problem and not to get hung up about it. that is not me saying there is no reason to fix this issue. far from it. it's just not gonna kill anything anytime soon. i do agree that you gotta do what you have to do to get the oil operating temps of your oil as close to 100C as possible. as this will keep you oil's cSt within operating spec and then keep your oil pump pressures within spec.

I just change my oil regularly, i've never seen my ECT above 95 degrees either, haven't really monitored oil temps myself but given my regular track habit, just changing the oil regularly and with good quality stuff takes care of the higher rate of deterioration.

my main concern is the transfer case as it only has 1.2lt of oil (i think from memory), as you guys have 3's you dont have this prob , but because it is constantly in operation when moving it heats up quite alot, im making up a custom oil drain plug with an oil temp sensor in it so i can see just how hot the transfer gets

That sounds cool, (no pun inteneded). The transfer case is on the back of the gearbox right? And because the centre diff is actually attached to the rear diff. The transfer case is running 100% of the time huh? Guess it must get hot with onlt 1.2L of fluid and strapped to the back of the gearbox/engine right near the hairdryer.

the center diff gears are in the transfer case and both the transfer and rear diff have magnetic clutches which the awd control system engage's at various rates, the transfer is always running its just whether or not the clutches are engaged that gives the rear wheels drive

Why no just add something like this;

NEW 15" ALUMINIUM FINNED OIL COOLER

into the water line feeding the oil cooler to drop the water temp a bit first?

Chris.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast