User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Simple way to get the most out of your Stock Intercooler & eliminate heat soak.

Bunnings only had it in 0.6mm thick and williamstown was too far away! But anyway I couldnt get it to fit with my aftermarket TMIC so im not going to bother. It covers too much of the underside of the TMIC, this may be great for the stock one though.
    Will probably sell off my TMIC and get a FMIC in the future anyway.

2. Default

Great write up. I did this using 1mm alluminium sheet metal and found that the IC indeed stays cooler. I don't have dash hawk to monitor relevant temperatures so I figured I'd use my hand to measure any sort of improvement. And the result is that the IC stays a lot cooler with this sheet metal in place. Ozmps forum is great!

Any updates on results?

^^Just had some huge performance results....... I sold the MPS and brought another EVO

Default Simple way to get the most out of your Stock Intercooler & eliminate heat soak.

Quote Originally Posted by NQMPS View Post
    ^^Just had some huge performance results....... I sold the MPS and brought another EVO
    Lol what model?

The best one.... Black V.

7. Default

how does it compare to the MPS?

can we keep this on topic...

For someone who is looking at some basic mods on their (first) turbocharged car, can I assume this is is a crock until some real numbers come out?

anything that helps reduce BAT (boosted air temperature) can only help, even on a stock car. But by how much it reduces it by is the question. If it lowers BATs by more than 5 degrees consistently, then I'd say it'd be worth it.

I have a CPe intercooler after a blast up the putty road i could hold my hand on intercooler. where as @Justins was hotter with standard, i still feel this mod would help those who sit in traffic but not so much on the open road or track

TMIC heat shield

Thanks to NQMPS's idea, i made up a heat shield for my TMIC. I bought heat shield wrap to cover the entire peice of aluminium for added cooling. I also added heat shield to the aluminium cover that is supposed to shield the turbo as that wasn't doing much of a good job factory. There is 15mm between both the cooler/shield/engine. Took 2 hours to do. As per NQMPS's thread in "tech talk", the differences now would be more than likely better than buying an aftermarket TMIC as the flow is much cooler and doesnt allow so much heat soak.
    Attached Thumbnails

some more pics.. Attached Thumbnails

If someone with stock top mount could read Boost Temp before and after this mod would be helpful in showing what gains have been made, not sure if it's only a Dashhawk that can do this?

With the temp's dropped HP-F might be able to forward the timing a little more, but i doubt that they can squeeze more psi out of it i think stock k04 would be determining that.

PremHK has a great set up there! Well done.

16. Default

Hi Prem, what sort of heat shield tape did you use? Is it something you can get from supercheap or something you get from a specialty store? I tried doing this last night but ran out of time. Wasn't going to use a heat tape/ shield but seeing your setup has changed my mind

Default Simple way to get the most out of your Stock Intercooler & eliminate heat soak.

Quote Originally Posted by allo80 View Post
    Hi Prem, what sort of heat shield tape did you use? Is it something you can get from supercheap or something you get from a specialty store? I tried doing this last night but ran out of time. Wasn't going to use a heat tape/ shield but seeing your setup has changed my mind
    I ordered 5 meters off eBay last night. Titanium heat shield wrap. Temp 1200-1500 degrees
    Member Of a Wallbangers Club

18. Default

Thanks, I shall look into it

Quote Originally Posted by allo80 View Post
    Thanks, I shall look into it
    Try to get maximum thickness one if you only using for intercooler, Mine is 2mm bcoz il be using on downpipe aswell.

Yeah plenty on ebay. Bakis, i run 17psi hpf tune. Going up to 18-19 should be ok now with the cooler temps. NQMPS logged cooler temps but im not sure on boost temps.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast