User Tag List

Thread: Fixing up dodgy fibreglass work and painting - rear lip extension

Default Fixing up dodgy fibreglass work and painting - rear lip extension

So I bought a replica RE Amemiya rear wing extension from Nextmods. I must agree with all the comments out there about their quality...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lip.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	10000

I was going to patch this up with some body bog and sand down. Would this be the best way to tackle this? I dont want the bog or whatever I end up using to crack and chip off later down the track.

Secondly, painting. I was going to try using spray can paint. I'm after good quality high gloss black paint along with high gloss clear coat. Any recommendations? Also any tips as to prep work and inbetween coat prep? Should I sandpaper between coats and if so, wet sand and what grit should I b

Out of curiosity how much was postage ?

You could try sending cton a PM, he is a professional spray painter and might be able to give you some helpful tips.

I was going to order lip kit from nextmod but lately people have been complaining about their quality...

If it's cracked right through, it's going to need more than a bit of glass and bog.

If you don't know how to paint, learning on a little spoiler will be a good way to learn.
    Start out with a few light coats of primer.
    Generic gloss black from a can will look fine for this item. No need for clear coating.
    Build it up slowly. Final coat can be thick and glossy.

If you do all the prep work and prime it, I'll paint the colour and show you how to do it next time.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Ok, pretty much what 2XS said,
    If you want to go the spraycan route, finish off all the bog repairs and rub the whole thing back with some 240 sandpaper dry. Youll prob need to rub the bog with something like 120 first to shape it properly, then go over it with some 180 or 240 to make it smoother and get those corser scratches out. Then get some primer and put a few good coats over the whole thing. let it dry properly. put it in the sun for a bit on a hot day. maybe an hour. then get a bit of the black and put a very light dusting over the whole thing, this is used as a guide coat so when you rub the primer smooth you can see what your doing. Id probably use some 800 wet to do this. rub untill you get all the black dots off the primer and it all looks nice and smooth. the better the job you do here the better it will look. you might even find that you rub the primer off before you get all the guide coat off in some parts. if you do, put some more primer on.
    Also id probably recommend a 'trim black' (semi gloss) over a gloss black. the reason being that any imperfections will be shown up more in a gloss black.
    Good luck, anything else just ask. the Septone brand of can paint seems to be ok from memory.

Great posts guys ^

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

the postage from Canada to USA was $40. then to Aus I only paid $10 as I bought some wheels at the same time. Otherwise I dont think I would've gotten it. It comes in a very big box and the volumetric weight will be used to ship. I would imagine it would cost at least $100 to have it posted to Australia. You would need to use a forwarding agent as I dont think nextmods ship direct

thanks for all the great advice. What you see in the picture is the worst of the cracks. will bog be fine? The item has already been primed, but I will be sanding down the imperfections so will go over the lot again. with the colour coating, should I be sanding between coats?

No need to sand between coats, just between primer and colour (and clear if chosen)