User Tag List

Thread: Upgrade path

Default Upgrade path

Hey guys

A mate wants to upgrade his MPS and needs to do the following

- Dump Pipe
    - Turbo upgrade
    - Tune (Sorted out, local tuner southern motorworks)

What would you guys recommend, i showed him the CPe DP but he does not want to pay that much for a DP, however we looked at BNR turbos, and looks like stage 2 or 3 is what he wants

Do the DPs bolt up to the standard exhaust?

He has a budget of about $3500

Im estimating
    $1400 for a turbo upgrade or high flow the stock one
    $1300 for Custom tune
    $600 odd for DP

he does not want to change the stock exhaust but
    Last edited by buzurk; 18-05-2011 at 10:10 AM.

2XS DP FTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can it use the standard exhaust?

4. Default

Should PM "DISIMS3" on here too, he also custom makes DP to fit standard exhausts, also knows which replacement turbos fit straight up etc...

??????Gen1 or Gen 2 .. Dump pipes fit directly to existing rear exhaust.
    Look at some USA sites (IE Street unit, CPE, etc ) u can purchase and ship directly . Whilst Ausie dollar is so good u can save a shit load. Your estimate of $600.00 is too short. Fitting is a bitch.

Gen 1 Chiptorque agents in southern states piggy back or flash , Cobb Access port from USA, .
    Gen 2 Very limited at the moment for Flash only Ecuteck to my knowledge and this would blow his budget (heaps).

hmmmm, $3500, ouch.... think that might be a bit ambitious...

as oldhead said, depends which MPS he has, gen 1 or 2?
    DP, 2XS makes one, $1000 delivered... if you're willing to do the work (~5-6 hours) that's all it will cost http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/2xs-r...w-breathe.html
    the other option is the CPE from MPSG http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/pro...down-pipe.html ($1000)
    or the cobb from here: COBB Downpipe: Mazdaspeed 3
    or the CPE one from street unit: CPE Mazdaspeed3 SS Downpipe which is $550 US + $150 cat + shipping comes to ~ $880

i wouldnt want to do the turbo without a better intercooler, certainly not a BNR stage 3, but that's just me... a down pipe is just the first part of the exhaust... you pull the old one out, and replace it just be careful not to damage the O2 sensors
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Everywhere i call is asking what is the standard turbo tag on the side of the turbo?

if they are chasing the make of turbo for the correct flanges / gaskets etc, its a Hitachi Warner k04-022.

A DP fitted is around the 1500 mark, you can also call Chris at Best Mufflers, located at Carlton.