User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things to be aware of when modifying ANY model car...

Default Things to be aware of when modifying ANY model car...

Hi all.
    I been in the auto trade for a few years, and I've seen alot of silly, unnecessary, and dangerous mods done to vehicles.
    I'd thought I'd post up a thread where others in the auto trade could post photos, showing mods that are wastes of money, and obviously reasons why.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305590910.681908.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	8583
    BC coilovers were fitted to this car.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305590989.815756.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	8584
    Adjustable camber and toe out/in arms can help. But if A wheel alignment isn't carried out, these cheap Tyres (on vehicle) will be destroyed.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305591039.994118.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	8585

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305591095.530139.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	8586

Most people get coilovers for the sole purpose of 'moar loow'. Personally, it's a waste of money. And as a few people know, can destroy a cars characteristics during handling.
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305591554.649162.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	8587

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305591604.193925.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	8588

I don't care what anyone's argument is, extra earth straps are a waste of hard earned cash.
    Thus example is even fitted wrongly. The earth strap is fitted to the battery terminal clamp securing bolt, which doesn't bolt down, but worse is that this bolt hooks onto the body that is painted! A painted surface won't allow any positive or negative current through. A piece of metal must be cleaned of dirt, grease and paint before continuity can be achieved...
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Fantastic idea for a thread.
    Shame I'm out of the trade now so I won't be able to share with pictures.

I do remember fixing a car that was using lots of fuel. The reason as it turned out was because the car was so low it wore a hole in the fuel tank.
    This car was so low, we couldn't get a trolley jack under it, couldn't get go-jacks under the wheels, wouldn't fit on a hoist, had to get everyone in the shop to lift it.
    Stupid thing was, after I fixed it, he didn't raise it.
    Why.....because it looked cool

Nice idea for a thread Jon, I alway chuckle a bit at what some people do in the name or performance... half the time it'll be detrimental rather then doing anything to help.

The earth kit is just... funny... actually it's not even funny, it's sad... :P

Wise man once said: "For every advantage to a modification, there's usually at least 3 downsides..."

Quote Originally Posted by spooon View Post
    Wise man once said: "For every advantage to a modification, there's usually at least 3 downsides..."
    Yes, much against popular opinion, the car manufacturers actually DO know what they are doing when they spend buttloads of ca$h developing a car... It's just that the trade-offs they make are usually in the direction of quietness, comfort and reliability...

We, the enthusiasts, generally prefer our compromises more in the direction of harsher, louder and faster...

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

I still don't quite get the idea of modding. I know it's a very personal thing but if you're going to buy a car and then spend money on it, why not just buy a car that has everything you want so you don't need to change anything?

I have also noticed on here the amount of issues caused by mods. Issues that I just don't get with my stock MPS.

Hehe awesome thread.

The main thing to consider when modifying any car: Don't be a fuking idiot.

There's always an inherent level of risk in modifying a car, with mine I have picked things that i consider to be shortcomings with the base model and changed them for the better. Nothing that sacrifices comfort or practicality are my basic rules.

Yes, people tend to forget that you find get things for nothing.
    EVERYTHING is a compromise

Hopefully this thread will show this, and not end up in arguments.

Modding cars is a learning expereice, me of all people know! BUT there are things that just freak me out, ie welding supension swing arms, welding struts, cuting springs down, no fuses for aftermarket amp's etc.

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Yes, people tend to forget that you find get things for nothing.
    EVERYTHING is a compromise

Hopefully this thread will show this, and not end up in arguments.
    @Brad................................ goodluck with that statement
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Great Post. Man has always tried to develop/modify almost everything with a goal to ,performance,speed,comfort etc and the ONLY one thing he has not been successful with is WOMEN
    Can u begin to imagine if we could WOW ??? What mods would we start with !!!!!!!!! Performance /speed or comfort.
    Not trying to hijack thread .

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    Great Post. Man has always tried to develop/modify almost everything with a goal to ,performance,speed,comfort etc and the ONLY one thing he has not been successful with is WOMEN
    Can u begin to imagine if we could WOW ??? What mods would we start with !!!!!!!!! Performance /speed or comfort.
    Lmao
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Remind me not to service my car with you Jon

Silicon, saline, botox...

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    Silicon, saline, botox...
    You forgot behavioural enhancing medicines
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

ONLY one thing he has not been successful with is WOMEN .
    Don't get me started on what I'd like to modify on men!

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Don't get me started on what I'd like to modify on men!
    Behave I need a snip 6 kids are enough
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

It's not so different than modifying other important things in your life. Nearly everyone changes at least some, if not a lot of their house. That's not to say they weren't happy with the original house, but gardens, kitchens etc, usually change. it's almost impossible to buy a house that is 100% perfect.

For me with my car, I basically love the majority of it, but wasn't a fan of the stock wheels, the ride height nor the shock-absorber characteristics. So I addressed only those elements. To me it looks better (subjective) but unquestionably rides better.and is still very comfy. Everyone is different. But people can take it too far particularly if you don't plan or know what to do, you can easily go too far and spend a lot of $ and make a good car a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    I still don't quite get the idea of modding. I know it's a very personal thing but if you're going to buy a car and then spend money on it, why not just buy a car that has everything you want so you don't need to change anything?

I have also noticed on here the amount of issues caused by mods. Issues that I just don't get with my stock MPS.
    Last edited by lucifuge; 17-05-2011 at 09:54 PM.

"Sector six, 80, copy the sixth, the sum of the eighth, the quadrant over the ninth, plus 80, four circles, weave the 80 and call the fourth. Copy." - Thufir Hawat, Mentat, Master of Assassins.

Upgrade valve seats when installing heavier valve springs

let people modify how they want to their car. only proviso I'd add is that it should be safe. sure not all things might be sensible (like 20" wheels :P) or might just be 'rice' but if people don't go outside the box, all the cars would look the same. We also wouldn't be able to know what works and what doesn't.

Just remember, everyone has different goals and we are all here to enjoy motoring. Plus we can get a giggle out of outlandish things.

Hahaha how good is the forward facing gauge!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast