User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Noisy thrust bearing / clutch issue

Just had my box done 47k on the clock 1500bucks later, 3 stuffed main bearings 3 sychros= lovely lol

What exactly was wrong with yours? Not shifting properly and noisy i presume?

Who looked at it?

Noisey and it jammed in 4th once. I had conrod bend which transfered through the main shaft but the synchros where not crash hot.

Interesting.

Mine has been shifting quite well since I adjusted the shifter cable. It made a huge difference to first and second.

I have also ordered a CPE 60 duro rear engine mount just to see how it compares to the inserts.

I think I am going to hit Mazda up again about replacing the bearings, as I don't think its a clutch problem.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    Just had my box done 47k on the clock 1500bucks later, 3 stuffed main bearings 3 sychros= lovely lol
    Gee that was cheap, I did 3k worth of damage.

But after changing flywheel I certainly notice the box is much noisier.... It's almost as bad as the Ralliart Colt's box...

Quote Originally Posted by N3RDPWR View Post

But after changing flywheel I certainly notice the box is much noisier.... It's almost as bad as the Ralliart Colt's box...
    Don't mention the ralliart colt, you'll start another war! Lol

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

7. Default

lol I love forum wars!

Dont worry the clutch cost me a mint too! lol fly wheel also shit itself.

Quote Originally Posted by N3RDPWR View Post

What is noisy thrust bearing?
    When I take off (normally) and give it a push on the accelerator, then push the clutch in to switch to second, it makes a loudish clank / bang noise.. kind of the sound when you stall. and it does this when i change from 2nd 3rd.

Is this what it is? Because it happens to me, and it annoys the hell out of me

Quote Originally Posted by kh92 View Post
    When I take off (normally) and give it a push on the accelerator, then push the clutch in to switch to second, it makes a loudish clank / bang noise.. kind of the sound when you stall. and it does this when i change from 2nd 3rd.

All the info about symptoms of this is in the first post of the thread.

Please take the time to read the threads before replying to them. I'm not trying to get on your case about this but by doing a bit of reading you won't need to post so much with all your questions

Answered in your other thread with a possibility for your noise from the rear of the car.

Thrust bearing acts on the pressure plate fingers, it is rotational noise that will be more evident as you press the clutch pedal in, either in or out of gear.

Been looking into gear oils now to see if I can improve the shift even further. (Currently using Penrite SYN75w90, but its a GL5 oil)

I notice alot of people use Castrol VMX 80, and Redline MT90 (Which apparently has wong wong noise, but good shifts).

Is there any reason nobody is using Castrol Syntrans 75w85? Seems ideal? Thoughts?

off topic, get a rear engine mount. the stock MPS box is clunky by nature, but it is greatly reduced by having the engine more planted

I have the same symptoms you're describing. I had a Mazda dealer in Vic to check it out. They wanted to replace my gearbox. With the new gearbox, the noise and shift is still the same. I'm not concerned with it. I like my sports cars to feel racey.
    BTW, that was over 12 months ago. I now have 63,000kms on the clock.
    It's a normal noise. As for shifting, warm your car up first before driving it.

Kh92 - the engine mount issue is with the 3's, you have a 6 don't you?
    If so, don't worry about engine mounts. It's not needed on a 6, at least not as much as on a 3.
    When researching, just remember that the majority of the members have 3's and most of the issues we talk about are irrelevant to 6's.

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    It's a normal noise. As for shifting, warm your car up first before driving it.
    I wouldn't be concerned about the noise but it sounds like a metal on metal sound when I am driving past. The shifting doesn't get much better when the car is warm.

Ah, yes I have a 6 but it happens to me all the time, I try to shift real slow (clutch in slowly, then out slowly) and it gets real hectic in heavy traffic lol. It sounds like my exhaust is going to fall off or my cars going to fall apart!

Ah, yes I have a 6 but it happens to me all the time, I try to shift real slow (clutch in slowly, then out slowly) and it gets real hectic in heavy traffic lol. It sounds like my exhaust is going to fall off or my cars going to fall apart!
    Could the noise you've been chasing be as simple as a loose exhaust?

if you can't find another 6 MPS driver to go over your car, take it to Mazda and get them to look over your concerns.

Bumping this up.

After more research and paying close attention to the noise, I think we may be talking about different noises.

Noise 1: Light humming sort of sound with the clutch pedal out. Push clutch pedal in and the noise disappears. (Not very loud and can only hear if you listen very closely)

Noise 2: Metal on metal type noise that gets louder as revs increase. Happens with clutch pedal in or out (But you notice it when the revs build up)

Not concerned about noise 1 as I think this is the same noise everyone else has. But I am now wondering if noise 2 is a faulty input shaft bearing?

Can anybody shed some light on this?

I have that metal on metal brushing noise too. And gets louder as revs increase and also when I push the clutch in, the noise goes away.
    It also happens if I'm in neutral and I rev the car, I will start hearing it when the revs increase.
    I'm not too worried about this noise, but it does get VERY annoying, hence why I'm trying to find the loudest induction option to block this noise out

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast