User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smokey turbo seals - NEW mazda fix apparantly?

Default Smokey turbo seals - NEW mazda fix apparantly?

Hey guys

My mates 07 MPS3 developend the smokey turbo issue after idling for a period of time, he took it to mazda and advised the details on here of the turbo being replaced which mazda looked into.

Apparantly Mazda have advised him the fix now is not to replace the turbo but to install what they call a "Ventilation Kit" at approx $1200 which mazda are paying for

Apparantly this latest fix is as of last month

Anyone else heard this

Same was reported on the American MazdaSpeed forums. Fix was released only in the last few months.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buzurk View Post
    Hey guys

My mates 07 MPS3 developend the smokey turbo issue after idling for a period of time, he took it to mazda and advised the details on here of the turbo being replaced which mazda looked into.

Apparantly Mazda have advised him the fix now is not to replace the turbo but to install what they call a "Ventilation Kit" at approx $1200 which mazda are paying for

Anyone else heard this
    Quite some time ago it was tentatively determined that there was nothing wrong with the turbo's as such, but some of them didn't flow enough oil, and that a modification to the PCV would increase the flow through the turbo. It was a fix "in development", are we able to confirm that the "venitlation kit" fix being installed is a replacement PCV solution?

Rather late in the 07 warranty cycle to be releasing $1200 replacement components at their cost....
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Hey guys

Anyone else heard this
    Would be good to know what Mazda are ACTUALLY doing, reguarding warranty fixes etc....
    See if you can get a copy of his invoice & maybe post it up here. It would be good to have a bit of info if any others have the same issue with cars that are out of, or nearly out of warranty.
    $1200 is better in everyone's pocket if its really Mazda's fault in the first place.

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Quite some time ago it was tentatively determined that there was nothing wrong with the turbo's as such, but some of them didn't flow enough oil, and that a modification to the PCV would increase the flow through the turbo. It was a fix "in development", are we able to confirm that the "venitlation kit" fix being installed is a replacement PCV solution?

Rather late in the 07 warranty cycle to be releasing $1200 replacement components at their cost....
    It may be late in the warranty period , buy why shouldnt they fix a design problem that is obviously flawed????

Quote Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
    Would be good to know what Mazda are ACTUALLY doing, reguarding warranty fixes etc....
    See if you can get a copy of his invoice & maybe post it up here. It would be good to have a bit of info if any others have the same issue with cars that are out of, or nearly out of warranty.
    $1200 is better in everyone's pocket if its really Mazda's fault in the first place.

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

It may be late in the warranty period , buy why shouldnt they fix a design problem that is obviously flawed????
    There's multiple reported cases where MAZDA have applied a TSB outside the warranty period for this exact issue, by way of replacement turbo's. One can only hope their good-will continues with this TSB.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
    Not querying whether it should be addressed, just observing that's it's late in the warranty cycle. The $1200 cost is less than a turbo, but how much less when you're an OEM? That strikes me as a very expensive PCV fix...

I wouldn't go quite so far as to call the system "obviously flawed"..."obviously flawed" would warrant a recall (engine mount etc - now THAT was obviously flawed.)
    I'd be inclined to label it an improvement addressing an issue that a modest % of turbo's exhibit.

My stance is that if it was "obviously flawed" we all would have applied an obvious fix long before now.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

I've had this done. New rocker cover. Pcv does not plumb back to oem location on intake anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Not querying whether it should be addressed, just observing that's it's late in the warranty cycle. The $1200 cost is less than a turbo, but how much less when you're an OEM? That strikes me as a very expensive PCV fix...

I wouldn't go quite so far as to call the system "obviously flawed"..."obviously flawed" would warrant a recall (engine mount etc - now THAT was obviously flawed.)
    I'd be inclined to label it an improvement addressing an issue that a modest % of turbo's exhibit.

My stance is that if it was "obviously flawed" we all would have applied an obvious fix long before now.
    The "fix" makes it look like the original design is indeed flawed. Its a serious redesign of the head. The MSF forums have a copy of the TSB which I CBF to go find right now

9. Default

Im pretty sure I saw this on MSF but I think it was for a cx7. it was about changing the ventilation in the rocker cover. So pretty much in the tsb I saw they had to change his rocker cover and his TIP to the new design. It looks like that the breather that goes into the TIP is closer to the turbo.

The final smoke at idle fix from Mazda TSB 01-002/11 dated 2/23/11 - Mazdaspeed Forums
    Last edited by markeymagz; 09-05-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredycrow View Post
    The "fix" makes it look like the original design is indeed flawed. Its a serious redesign of the head. The MSF forums have a copy of the TSB which I CBF to go find right now
    Of the head itself??? Or just the rocker cover? If the head is different, that certainly does make it look flawed. A rocker cover and a slightly different TIP? A rocker cover is a significant change I suppose, but I'm still inclined to call it a relatively subtle re-design.

If we're going to call it a serious re-design, we'd be calling it a serious PCV re-design wouldn't we? People keep referring to a head design in the browsing I've done so far, but so far in every case they call it a "head re-design, it's NOT a head re-design, but rather a rocker cover re-design. That's not nearly as severe as a head redesign. Not by a long shot. Correct me please if the head is up for coming off to apply the fix...

In any case, it's worth pulling the bulletin apart and seeing what can be done for aftermarket solutions, if necessary...

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Its not replacing the cylinder head. Its only replacing the valve cover, with a better baffle. That's a gen2 valve cover they are using. People have used that method here already. The inlet reroute crap seems like more fail though.

I can't stand reading US forums any more, so if someone who has read them could translate, I have a couple of questions that many people are probably wondering about:

1. Is the PCV mod something that can be improvised by those out of warranty, without the high cost of a new rocker cover?

2. Has the Mazda modification been validated through experience, or is it a fishing exercise?

Mal,

I had a replacement hose from the intake to the rocker cover with the equivalent of the PTP pill in it, and that resolved my smoking.
    Took it to mazda and they replaced the rocker and the plumb back location is NOT the same.. this also resolved the smoking.

Take from that what you will

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Mal,

I had a replacement hose from the intake to the rocker cover with the equivalent of the PTP pill in it, and that resolved my smoking.
    Took it to mazda and they replaced the rocker and the plumb back location is NOT the same.. this also resolved the smoking

Take from that what you will
    Hey did you get this done under warranty and which dealership did this? Also is this replacement hose a Mazda item or aftermarket

Thanks

well i wouldnt say its FLAWED...

180000kms later with orginal turbo and no smoke..

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Will they only replace this if the turbo is smoking? or will they do it anyway? I have a gen 1 06, and well it's not smoking atm though if I can get it changed it'd be good

Quote Originally Posted by markeymagz View Post
    Hey did you get this done under warranty and which dealership did this? Also is this replacement hose a Mazda item or aftermarket

Thanks
    The hose was aftermarket.. it was a clear silicone (I think?) hose with a restriction pill inside it, though the replacement rocker cover was done by mazda under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Matto View Post
    Will they only replace this if the turbo is smoking? or will they do it anyway? I have a gen 1 06, and well it's not smoking atm though if I can get it changed it'd be good
    Nope. its not a recall.

IF you have the smoking, it can be intermittent. I would HIGHLY suggest taking photo and videos of the incident just in case mazda cannot replicate the problem.
    Last edited by Jmac; 10-05-2011 at 07:50 AM.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305010166.396571.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	8497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305010198.262110.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	8498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305010221.814240.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	8499

-= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Ah okay to be honest I've never let my car idle for more than 10 minutes lol, and I've never really trashed it hard for 15 minutes straight... so maybe sometime this week I should give it a go

Well he has had it done and no more smoke at idle was free of charge even tho he is our of wty

but they wanted full service history

Well he has had it done and no more smoke at idle was free of charge even tho he is our of wty

but they wanted full service history
    Thanks for the update, just like me

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast