User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My ported intake manifold...

1. Default My ported intake manifold...

here are some pics of the ported intake that did a little while back... has anyone done this to their intake yet?

The first speed6 to the low 12s
    First to hit the low 1.6 60ft
    P3 Performance (record for the first 400 hp speed ever)

Curious, did you take before photos? How much of a difference did porting it have?

Can I ask some dumb questions? Why porting? Is it about better flow? More air/fuel?

4. Default

Ported intake hp - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum

if you choose to read it all it is up to you but the meat of it all in starting around post 36..

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nepharius View Post
    Curious, did you take before photos? How much of a difference did porting it have?
    I can get you some stock intake pics if you would like..
    Last edited by qtrmile beast; 06-05-2011 at 06:10 AM.

dont think anyone has done this yet...
    luke 3mps might be doing it.... MPS2NV might as well, think he's already done "port matching"

the only other person who has done enough to their car would be 2XS... those are/were the 3 most heavily modified cars on the forum

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    dont think anyone has done this yet...
    luke 3mps might be doing it.... MPS2NV might as well, think he's already done "port matching"

the only other person who has done enough to their car would be 2XS... those are/were the 3 most heavily modified cars on the forum
    So what is it money or options because if that is not something that you guys have done then man there are worlds of stuff that can be done... For those that was their intakes port and powdercoated i can do that for you as well!! Well i will try and bring as much info as i can with me to this forums as possible as i want to see you guys grow!!!

By the way i was looking for anymore forums weather it be from AU or where ever can someone point me in the right direction?

Quote Originally Posted by qtrmile beast View Post
    So what is it money or options because if that is not something that you guys have done then man there are worlds of stuff that can be done... For those that was their intakes port and powdercoated i can do that for you as well!! Well i will try and bring as much info as i can with me to this forums as possible as i want to see you guys grow!!!

By the way i was looking for anymore forums weather it be from AU or where ever can someone point me in the right direction?
    it's probably more the fact that not many people have replaced their stock turbos yet...

for quite a while it's been simple bolt ons (ie intercooler/intake/exhaust/tune)
    2XS was (as far as i know) the first person to really push it in australia with turbos by putting a 2876r on his
    luke has a 3076, and MPS2NV has a 3071 (luke's is built, just needs proper tuning... MPS2NV's is still being built...)
    someone over in perth has a BNR stage 3, another a BNR stage 1...

sourcing parts from the states is another challenge entirely, but i wont go into that...
    and up until recently there hasnt been much (if any) locally made products for the mps/mazdaspeed

also, things are much more expensive here in australia... a downpipe costs AU$1000-1200 here whilst you can pick up a CP-E one in the states for $500, or corksport for $300
    even taking into account the average wage of an australian is ~50% more than the US (63k vs 40k) we are still paying 50-100% more for products here (imagine the CPE downpipe being US$850-900

i think with locally made parts starting to become more easily accessible, a stronger dollar allowing easier access to parts from the US (it's actually cheaper for us to buy some stuff from US & ship it over, than to buy locally...) and cars starting to come out of warranty, things should start to move along nicely

we've seen a few gen 2's pushing 270-280hp (210kw) at the wheels with only 15-16psi (intake/TMIC/downpipe/tune stock turbo) so i think things will start to move along nicely over the next year or so as people start to push the boundries a bit more (and hopefully 2XS gets another MPS.... )

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

and very much appreciate you bringing information over to these forums
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    it's probably more the fact that not many people have replaced their stock turbos yet...

for quite a while it's been simple bolt ons (ie intercooler/intake/exhaust/tune)
    2XS was (as far as i know) the first person to really push it in australia with turbos by putting a 2876r on his
    luke has a 3076, and MPS2NV has a 3071 (luke's is built, just needs proper tuning... MPS2NV's is still being built...)
    someone over in perth has a BNR stage 3, another a BNR stage 1...

sourcing parts from the states is another challenge entirely, but i wont go into that...
    and up until recently there hasnt been much (if any) locally made products for the mps/mazdaspeed

also, things are much more expensive here in australia... a downpipe costs AU$1000-1200 here whilst you can pick up a CP-E one in the states for $500, or corksport for $300
    even taking into account the average wage of an australian is ~50% more than the US (63k vs 40k) we are still paying 50-100% more for products here (imagine the CPE downpipe being US$850-900

i think with locally made parts starting to become more easily accessible, a stronger dollar allowing easier access to parts from the US (it's actually cheaper for us to buy some stuff from US & ship it over, than to buy locally...) and cars starting to come out of warranty, things should start to move along nicely

we've seen a few gen 2's pushing 270-280hp (210kw) at the wheels with only 15-16psi (intake/TMIC/downpipe/tune stock turbo) so i think things will start to move along nicely over the next year or so as people start to push the boundries a bit more (and hopefully 2XS gets another MPS.... )

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

and very much appreciate you bringing information over to these forums
    Well if anyone need any info about what ever it over here then please let me know. IF you are interested in some ported intakes please let me know. i am not here to be a vendor nor am i pushing things to sell. But if you need a helping hand in finding things or you need any info let me know and i will help as much as i can!!!

Mine is all matched and ported, throttle body aswell

Something I will look at doing when I upgrade my turbo

If anyone has a head thats sitting around... throw my way

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    If anyone has a head thats sitting around... throw my way
    I told you I had a whole motor months ago, but, I'll be holding onto that for "secret" reasons now
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    I told you I had a whole motor months ago, but, I'll be holding onto that for "secret" reasons now
    a MPS powered Go-Kart? or maybe a skateboard? oooo wait, MPS powered mobility scooter!

For those who have ported what kind of difference does it make? Porting is where you get rid of the rough surfaces inside and make sure they line up perfectly so you get best airflow isn't it?. Am curious though costs vs benefits. What do you actually get out of doing this and how much does it cost to do?

Looking good those ports

here's a reference of porting :Cylinder head porting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Nepharius View Post
    a MPS powered Go-Kart? or maybe a skateboard? oooo wait, MPS powered mobility scooter!

For those who have ported what kind of difference does it make? Porting is where you get rid of the rough surfaces inside and make sure they line up perfectly so you get best airflow isn't it?. Am curious though costs vs benefits. What do you actually get out of doing this and how much does it cost to do?
    Un interupted airflow to the cylinders, most cases the manifold ports are bigger then the matching port on the head so you get this annoying step in the path of ingoing air, matching isn't a cost but you will get charged an hour rate in most cases, matching is pretty straight forward and on an mps prob as much as you need to do. Porting on the otherhand is a little more involved, the reason for it is to increase available air and also get a consistant result in and out of your head, porting your manifold to suit is important to mantain air speed and flow, removing your shutter valves and porting them should only be done when they are more of a restriction then they are useful, porting to this extent is expensive mainly because your hole engine is apart, not really an option unless you need to rebuild whole engine, the way the engine is built doesn't help. Your manifold can be removed and matched but wouldn't recommend a die grinder tool near the engine ports due to the possibilty of debre entering your motor

so umm mitch... i also bought a GT3071R :P and was lookn forward to havn a chat about supporting mods (e.g porting and machining as per mentioned )

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    Un interupted airflow to the cylinders, most cases the manifold ports are bigger then the matching port on the head so you get this annoying step in the path of ingoing air, matching isn't a cost but you will get charged an hour rate in most cases, matching is pretty straight forward and on an mps prob as much as you need to do. Porting on the otherhand is a little more involved, the reason for it is to increase available air and also get a consistant result in and out of your head, porting your manifold to suit is important to mantain air speed and flow,
    AGREE

removing your shutter valves and porting them should only be done when they are more of a restriction then they are useful, porting to this extent is expensive mainly because your hole engine is apart, not really an option unless you need to rebuild whole engine, the way the engine is built doesn't help. Your manifold can be removed and matched but wouldn't recommend a die grinder tool near the engine ports due to the possibilty of debre entering your motor
    DISAGREE...I disagree because if you take the manifold off to get it ported the you need to have the manifold cleaned before you re-install it so that the debris doesn't get into the motor. Also since your valve start to close the higher you get into the RPMs they become a restriction at that point. Their real goal is to atomize your fuel at IDLE... if anything you want to get rid of the butterflies this will open up a few ponies right there. Did any of you read the thread that i posted????
    Last edited by qtrmile beast; 10-05-2011 at 08:19 AM.

Kinda obvious I wouldn't put a manifold on a car full of filings dude.

Mazda's primary intent of the shutter valves is to close one inlet port to promote faster air speed and volume into the cylinder to achieve low down response and torque, how ever there is support showing that there is no low down loss of power by having them removed.

A few words were lost in my origanal post linking the processes of porting and matching both the intake manifold and cylinder ports to each other and in seperate situations, sorry about that

which thread mate?

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    which thread mate?
    Ported intake hp - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum

Has dyno charts and everything. This was done a pretty stock car... start about post 35 i believe and let me know your thoughts..

Being direct injection, the atomisation at idle shouldn't be an issue.

Porting will only increase airspeed with revs, right ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast