User Tag List

Thread: Does my turbo need replacing

Default Does my turbo need replacing

Hi,

how would i know if my turbo seals are gone? Or if they need replacing? Is there a way i can check if i take off the TIP?

Just seeing if it needs replacing because if it does ill go bigger turbo!!

THanks

You will be BLOWING SMOKE

this ^

Other signs of declining turbo condition include oily residue through the inlet tract and excessive free play in the turbo shaft. I have both of these signs, my turbo is clearly due for replacement but I don't have any smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Other signs of declining turbo condition include oily residue through the inlet tract and excessive free play in the turbo shaft. I have both of these signs, my turbo is clearly due for replacement but I don't have any smoke.
    BT Mod time or BNR Stage 3???

I can't decide between BNR stage 1 or 3. I have a relatively new SURE TIP and hypertech tune that would both be made redundant by the stage 3, but if I'm going to all that trouble i may as well go all the way. Then I think about bolt-on simplicity and swing toward the BNR stage 1. I think I need to go for a ride in Dan's car.

You can take it for a spin now but its only half tuned. If you request Bryan can machine the stage 3 inlet down so you can just fit the stock or aftermarket TIP's on (mine is like this)

I do have a bad memory so i could be wrong but i dont think there was much more work involved in installing the stage 3 vs a stage 1 or stock turbo. New coolant hose, trim heatshield, mount boost control solenoid on the bolt that holds the top of the TIP in place, new vacuum lines and restrictor pill. Maybe 1 hour more work. Also i believe Pete needed a new coolant line for his stage one.
    Last edited by Toddy22587; 05-05-2011 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    You can take it for a spin now but its only half tuned. If you request Bryan can machine the stage 3 inlet down so you can just fit the stock or aftermarket TIP's on (mine is like this)

I do have a bad memory so i could be wrong but i dont think there was much more work involved in installing the stage 3 vs a stage 1 or stock turbo. New coolant hose, trim heatshield, mount boost control solenoid on the bolt that holds the top of the TIP in place, new vacuum lines and restrictor pill. Maybe 1 hour more work. Also i believe Pete needed a new coolant line for his stage one.
    I didn't know Bryan could machine the inlet down. That's great news and certainly swings my decision a bit more toward the stage 3. I spoke to Zak the other day not long after he installed Pete's stage 1 and he said there was not much difference between the two in terms of installation. Love to go for a spin in your car to get a feel for the stage 3.

Gone to Volvo

Yep. New coolant hose. Fortunately Zacka had some bits and pieces lying around the shop and was able to fabricate one on the spot.
    Toddy, would you mind moving your wedding back a week so that Mal and I can both try the BNR3 at the next cruise?
    If it's not too much trouble, that is...

where can BNR turbos be bought from?Prices?Website?

Quote Originally Posted by esp22 View Post
    where can BNR turbos be bought from?Prices?Website?
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Bnr+turbo+mazda
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

^ This

+1^^^^^

yeh i saw them..i just thought there was somewhere in australia...lol

Quote Originally Posted by esp22 View Post
    yeh i saw them..i just thought there was somewhere in australia...lol
    Nah, have to ship it to the states, there is a few places in aus that do refurbishments...

No idea what they are like
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    I didn't know Bryan could machine the inlet down. That's great news and certainly swings my decision a bit more toward the stage 3. I spoke to Zak the other day not long after he installed Pete's stage 1 and he said there was not much difference between the two in terms of installation. Love to go for a spin in your car to get a feel for the stage 3.
    Very useful piece of information this, it hadn't even occurred to me that it might be machined to better fit. Makes the BNR an even easier option than it already was.

I find it interesting that most people (myself included) tend to look at either the Stage1 (essentially a replacement for the stock turbo, with potentially better flow rates for higher rpm) or the Stage3 (its the BT your running when your not running a BT). The stage2 is largely ignored. I guess if it was vastly cheaper than the Stage3 it might attract more attention...

Quote Originally Posted by guitar69 View Post
    Yep. New coolant hose. Fortunately Zacka had some bits and pieces lying around the shop and was able to fabricate one on the spot.
    Toddy, would you mind moving your wedding back a week so that Mal and I can both try the BNR3 at the next cruise?
    If it's not too much trouble, that is...
    .... If you guys can give me about $30,000 to cover my losses then i might be able to move the wedding back

Probably easier to move the cruise date IMO but thats not up to me.

Procharge do a GT2871R upgrade and after I called and had a chat they can also do a GT2876R upgrade for the same price:

Cheetah MPS 3 GT2871R - Cheetah Turbos - Turbo Repairs - Turbo Sales - Turbo Accessories

Looks good. Ball bearing too.

They have the housing and flanges machine, so both the 2871R and 2876R should be a direct replacement bolt-in job.