User Tag List

Thread: Is this noise normal?

1. Smile Is this noise normal?

Just thought I`d throw this out there as I`ve noticed there is a lot of knowledge available thru this site.Have just purchased a 2011 MPS Luxury.Being of mature age and a virgin when it comes to the turbo scene,I have noticed a noise coming from area where the turbo is situated.After giving the engine a rev to about 2.5-3000rpm.as the revs slow down to normal idle,there is a "whirring" sound that lasts for approx.20 seconds.Is this the turbo slowing down or something more sinister?Being "old school", it sounds like bearing/bearings failure.Remember,I have only just picked up this car and it has only done 40km. I know if this is to become a warranty issue that my first port of call is back to the dealer but I`d like to have some ammo (information) available to me when the Service Manager gives me his feeble diagnostics.Any info will be much appreciated.

Does not sound familiar to me mate, is it audible from inside the car?

3. Default

You can`t really hear it inside the car but definitley when the bonnet is up.

Can you post up a vid with the audio?

5. Default

Have tried to record the actual sound but it becomes virtually inaudible and cannot be distinguished between it and engine sound.

6. Default

it could be ur air box

i think i know the sound your talking about, ive noticed this on a few MPS's it sort of sounds like a distant police siren , freaked me out a couple times actually... im pretty sure its normal.