User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on my soon to be tyre/wheel setup

Default Opinion on my soon to be tyre/wheel setup

Hey guys I convinced my mum that getting new rims and tyres will still be cheaper to get from the US than just getting tyres here so I've decided I want the Enkei Imola's in black and the BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2

Just wondering will I need to run different tyres instead of 215/45/18 as the Imola's have a 50 offset? I'm a real noob when it comes to all this so would like to confirm it and get some opinions. Cheers.

Depens how wide the rims are.

Stock rims are 7' wide for the Gen1 and tyres are 215/45/18

So the wider the rims are i.e: 8', 8.5' etc .....you can fit wider tyres i.e: 225, 235 etc
    Last edited by Nirvandan; 02-05-2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: TD knows best lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Depens how wide the rims are.

Stock rims are 7.5 wide for the Gen1 and tyres are 215/45/18

So the wider the rims are i.e: 8', 8.5' etc .....you can fit wider tyres i.e: 225, 235 etc
    Stockies for the Gen1 are 7" wide and +52.5 offset...

Matto, what exact wheel size are you ordering? Post a link.

No point sticking with 215 tyres if you're upgrading the entire package. I assume by Nirvandan's answer that you own a Gen1 3MPS?

Enkei Performance Imola Black Painted

and
    BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

and yep 06 gen 1

Hahaha cheers TD

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

Its a 8' wide rim so you can fit 235/40/18 tyres

They are the same size as RX-8 rims. You can have a look at what other people have on them.

Both of those together cost $1256 before shipping cost, so you will have to pay GST on those, and probably an admin fee aswell. The GST is on the item cost+the shipping, so all up may be about $200 extra. You can split the order but the shipping cost will increase.

Never mind, found em on tirerack.com, and found that you have a 2006 3 MPS.

They're an 18x8 rim, so the ideal tyre size is 235/40R18, you could also run 225/40R18 or 225/45R18 on them. With 235 tyres you may require guard rolling (especially in the rear) so they don't rub.

Those tyres are an interesting choice, I'd caution against buying them, the load rating is 95XL in 235/40R18 size which will mean a very harsh ride.

Other tyre choices on tirerack you might want to look at which may be better suited due to lower load rating (and are under US$200 a corner) are:
    - Continental ExtremeContact DW (91W load rating/serv desc version, not the 95XL)
    - Pirelli PZero Nero
    - BFGoodrich g-Force Sport
    - Dunlop Direzza DZ101

When reading the reviews on tyres there, go by car first (so for you a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3), then by location. Try to find reviews from people who live in the warmer states like Texas, Arizona, California, Florida etc as these are the best comparison for Australian conditions.

I will caution that if you really don't know what you're buying, pony up the extra $ and buy local. The advice you will get locally comes with the price. As the saying goes, buyer beware. It's tempting to buy from over in the USA at the moment but you really gotta know what to get and why you're getting it before hitting the order button, otherwise your bargain could turn into an expensive mistake.

Maybe just grab the wheels and go local on the tyres?

Good luck.
    Last edited by TD; 02-05-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Spelling :p

Yeah to be honest I don't that's why I wanted your opinions, I think I may have to do that or just buy new tyres for my current wheels.. I'm actually not that fussed on 'ride quality' since I really only drive maybe 15-30 minutes a day? and in suburban areas so the roads are in fairly good condition and usually if I go for a longer drive I just go take my mums commander.

I'm not to keen on rolling my guards.. though you mention that 235 is the ideal size does that mean if I run 225 I will encounter problems?

I like higher rated kg load tyres, as i live on rough roads. Less likely to damage a rim harder side walls ( correct me if im wrong )

You will be fine with 225/40/18 on your 18x8 rims. I have this on the front of my Gen 1 on RX8 rims and they are a very popular tyre size in the US. They fit snug and give minimal flex so handling is great. You're rolling diameter is slightly reduced from the 215/45 but isn't really noticeable.

Yes; you'll need a better weight rating than that.

I went for Yokohama S Drives from Tire Rack; all up $850 delivered. They are great tyres and several members run them on their Gen 1s.

Consider this also; 18x8 & 50 offset will have your inner rims 11mm closer to the shocks than standard. With my BC Coilovers with their broader shock barrel I have very little inner shock to rim clearance: so 235/40 would have likely rubbed.

The rears have more clearance and I can't see much rubbing issues with 225 or 235 unless your going to run quite low.

Update: Still no contact from tirerack if I get no reply by next week I'll have to go local and get me some sumitomo HTRZ or what ever it's called since my mate can hook me up with a good deal. I think it will be around $900

Blog Entries

I'm considering these myself for a set of 8" wide.
    Inexpensive, excellent fit, and 8" wide. 235/40 compatible, good choice of tyres available...look good. Can't go wrong with the wheel I say.
    Dunno about the BF Goodrich. I've though about tyres from tirerack, but I think I'd go the tried and tested Kumho KU-36 if I was purchasing from them...

Just a note, I asked for a quote from Tirerack, and they said they cannot ship OZ wheels outside of North America. There could be limitations on other brands aswell.

It's literally been a week since I've last had contact with them.. Still no reply in regards to how much shipping is, and Wisp I asked for 2 different quotes, 1 just tyres and the other rims+tyres package.

Quote Originally Posted by WispRush View Post
    Just a note, I asked for a quote from Tirerack, and they said they cannot ship OZ wheels outside of North America. There could be limitations on other brands aswell.
    www.shipito.com

Use these guys to get your "American only" stuff here. They're a forwarding company. Has worked well for me.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WispRush View Post
    How much does that suck? That's coz dealers have whinged that they can't sell for a profit at the price people can independently import. Some nice, well fitting OZ been released, too.
    I could still import Enkei as of 6 months ago. You'd want to be able to, coz Enkei AU seem to be useless when it comes to an end user looking for particular wheels. Don't stock RPF1, want you to buy 40. End of story. If the AU dealer can't supply, get them to put it in writing, forward that to tirerack and demand service.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    USA Address & Mail Forwarding

Use these guys to get your "American only" stuff here. They're a forwarding company. Has worked well for me.
    That's a bit more....subtle...
    I think I'd just get in the AU distributorships face.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Okay I finally decided to get in contact with a different rep at tirerack here are the quotes I received from them, the tyres+wheels package is actually a lot less than I had thought

Q506296
    18X8 5-100/114 ET50 ENKIMOLA 159.00
    235/40R18~ BS POZ RE760 SP XL 160.00

FED EX ECONOMY (3-5 DAYS) - $ 360.17

Total = $1636.17 USD

Q506297

215/45R18~ YO AVID ENVIGOR 135.00
    FED EX ECONOMY (3-5 DAYS) - $ 268.08

Total = $808.08 USD

Q506299

225/45R18 BF G-FORCE TA KDW2 155.00
    FED EX ECONOMY (3-5 DAYS) - $ 268.08

Total = $888.08 USD.

Hey Matto.

That's a good shipping price for the wheels and tyres combined.

Just know that as the purchase price goes over the $1000 threshold you'll be stung with import duty from Aussie customs. I'm not sure how much but it may be worth shipping the wheels an tyres as separate purchases to avoid this.

Yep, what I've told them is to ship the 2 tyres + rims then antoher 2 tyres+rims, to 2 different addresses though in the same post code
    So i wont have to pay for them to get fitted and balanced

I think it will be like $1800 all up since I'm splitting theshipping, mums agreed to paying 1K so I'm pretty much paying $200 per corner for the enkeis nt bad

I presume we're looking at something like this?

http://www.enkei.com/imola.html

Or

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast