User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injector Cleaner -- To use or NOT To Use

Default Injector Cleaner -- To use or NOT To Use

Anyone have any opinions on if/not we should use these after market injector/fuel system cleaning products in our MPSs.
    Some say don't use them in DISI engines.
    Some say if you exclusively use 98RON fuel then you never need to.
    Any thoughts here one way or the other?

2. Default

I use a fuel cleaner every 5000km, without fail. Theres no harm in using one, and while the fuel companies to state their additive to UPulp provides sufficient cleaning, it doesnt. To say that a fuel cleaner is not good with a DISI engine is wrong. With direct injection, with the jet being closer to the combustion chamber, there is more chance of carbon build-up at the jet, so fuel cleaners are essential to maintain good flow.

The unfortunate thing with fuel cleaners, is they dont clean spark plugs. I recommend a spark plug change every 20,000km, or at least a manual clean of the plugs as a bare minimum. Keeps the idle sweet too.
    Last edited by Wardski; 03-03-2009 at 02:35 PM.

i recently added a bottle of the wynns gold formula or whatever its called

couldnt honestly say that it has improved performance, but i did notice that the exhaust tip didnt get as dirty as quickly while i had that stuff in the tank, if anything, it left a trail of white residue on the bottom of the tip

anyway, it does say that it is made for newer engines and i didnt mention that it was suitable for carburettor engines, but that that stuff on the box is all crap anyway

unfortuantely it cost $29 rather than the $10 or so for the regular formula which can be used for two tanks of fuel

i am a little more worried about how filthy the head/ports get. With the PCV vented back up there.. no fuel to de-gunk the valves.. Meth is a nice answer though...

I put it in the 2 atleast once a month...

Ive always used Injector \ fuel system cleaners on my cars.
    Havnt done it on the MPS yet though,

People say DONT use the injector cleaners etc on WRX's either...
    Boxer style engines apparently.

Going to chuck some LUCAS Injector Cleaner through the MPS on the weekend... actaully... NOW.. just filled up a tank of fuel lol Cheers

Sorry to open a old thread.

Agreed! At worst, it might be a waste of time but I can't see how can possibly do any damage. Most Nissan owners I know will use a cleaner regularly. I normally use the Valvoline Fuel Injector cleaner (no particular preference), even though I always fill with BP Ultimate.

Quote Originally Posted by ManicMPS View Post
    Agreed! At worst, it might be a waste of time but I can't see how can possibly do any damage. Most Nissan owners I know will use a cleaner regularly. I normally use the Valvoline Fuel Injector cleaner (no particular preference), even though I always fill with BP Ultimate.
    do yo happen to know the part number on the valvoline brand ?

I am buying the valvoline p/n 8552 (TWIN PACK CARBI CLEANER) through my work at cost price
    2005 Mazda MPS6 Radiant Ebony Luxury-Pack

I used it all the time on my 300zx, I noticed a big difference, smoother, quicker, its all good, Ive heard nothing bad about it

Quote Originally Posted by nissanman View Post
    Ive always used Injector \ fuel system cleaners on my cars.
    Havnt done it on the MPS yet though,

People say DONT use the injector cleaners etc on WRX's either...
    Boxer style engines apparently.

Going to chuck some LUCAS Injector Cleaner through the MPS on the weekend... actaully... NOW.. just filled up a tank of fuel lol Cheers

Sorry to open a old thread.
    Mate, don't be sorry to resurrect these old threads, some good information here

Did you feel any noticably difference after the fuel cleaner btw?
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

11. Default

Guys,

It is fortunate we have MPS's because it can take fuel injector cleaners.

Can't say the same for the RX8. Saw an RX8 engine which required an engine to be opened up to clean away fuel injector cleaner as it messed up the rotary engine.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Mate, don't be sorry to resurrect these old threads, some good information here

Did you feel any noticeably difference after the fuel cleaner btw?
    Not hugely, I can say i think i got better fuel economy.
    It idled a tad better and just ran a tad smoother.

Ill continue to use it

I REALLY RECOMMEND THE LUCAS RANGE, GREAT STUFF

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

i noticed quite a bit of difference

There's quite a bit of difference with DI injectors over PFI injectors, like the fact they are operating at about 30 times the pressure, which is supposed to prevent the accumulation of deposits in the nozzle. But I dunno if that's reliable info.

I don't have my car here to check, but I have a feeling the owners manual specifically states that fuel injector cleaners should not be used in the MPS.

Can someone else check that?

Owners Manual Page 4-2

Never add fuel system addidtives. Never add cleaning agents other than those specified by Mazda. Other cleaning agents and additives may damage the system. Consult an expert repairer, we recommend and Authorised Mazda Repairer.
    That's all I could find on fuel. There was no mention of cleaners in the Technical training manual. Link here:

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...p-manuals.html
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

I recon thats so mazda can make more money with their products that do the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by pockets View Post
    I recon thats so mazda can make more money with their products that do the same thing
    does it say the same thing in your manual? Be interested to know if the advice is specific to DI (not diesel or PFI) engines.

Gone to Volvo

I will have a look, Im really not sure

I read the same thing in my manual. Most of them have it due to legals. My mate that works at ford said that they all use Wynn's treatments on Ford cars....
    Sadly its all about sponsorships and money when it comes to what brand the dealers use.

money money money

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast