User Tag List

Thread: 6MPS turbo leak & front diff leak

Default 6MPS turbo leak & front diff leak

I took my beast to the mechanic today to see where oil was leaking from, and why I could smell fumes through the ac.

Turns out that somewhere on the turbo is leaking air/oil fumes. It will go back next week for a closer look to narrow down where on the turbo the problem is.

If they need to pull the Turbo out, is there anything I should get done at the same time? Hi-flow, different config, rcommended changes?

The mechanic also found the oil leak in the front diff. Apparently they need to remove the engine to fix this!!! Now that sounds expensive! Not sure how import this is, so I may leave it for a few months to allow me to save the funds for the work. Anyone disagree with this?

Thanks for your time.
    Red '05 6MPS.

If you can smell fumes through the aircon then i would check the downpipe - turbo connection as it common for this to leak and if its not fixed it can cause more damage to the turbo. If the turbo is dead then i would be replacing it with something better instead of trying to repair it.

Do you only notice the fumes when the car is warmed up and you are sitting still, or the car has been off for a few minutes and you start it up again?

If so, then this sounmds just like what I have... gear oil leaking from the transfer case onto the downpipe/exhaust and burning? You only notice the smell when the car is not moving and the fumes build up under the bonnett...

Need to take mine back to the dealer and let them have alook at it... Will probably cost $$$ to fix... :s

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

My transfer case was also leaking, only very slightly but enough to piss you off, I had my motor out so I resealed it at the same time, motor out sounds about right

Fumes happen even when moving.

Spoke to the mechanic again today and he will have a look at the seals when he pulls the dumppipe off next week.

I think I will save up for the transfer case leak, and get the turbo fixed as it doesn,t need the whole engine out.

Thanks for the advice.