User Tag List

Thread: NAS or External SATA HDD Dock?

Default NAS or External SATA HDD Dock?

Hi All,

my "beloved" desktop PC of 7 years has decided it no longer wants to be in the land of the living and fried it's motherboard...

i dont really want to buy a whole new desktop PC, as it hasnt been used as anything more than a torrent box/storage solution for the past 3-4 years... currently have 1x 750gb SATA HDD that's in good shape, NTFS format, and works fine

not looking to spend a fortune, just want to get it up and running and storing stuff again

was considering something like this:
    2.5/3.5" 3x SATA HDD Dock Docking Station Clone USB HUB | eBay

the thing is, i have 1 HDD already, so i would ideally like to be able to plug it straight in and then have space to add more to it....

anyone have experience with a decent USB dock? or a cheap NAS (preferrably with 4 bays...)

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

SATA QuickPort USB3.0 | SHARKOON Technologies GmbH
    another option... can pick them up for ~$60
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Bought this the other day...USB3 2.4" HDD enclosure. Needs two USB ports on your PC (one for Power, the other for Data). But still effective.
    2.5" SATA HDD Enlosure - USB 3.0 - Jaycar Electronics

or try this USB2...

External USB 2.5" Hard Disk Case - Jaycar Electronics
    Last edited by Yeldarb; 27-04-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Hi Mate,

Off the shelf NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices, even basic 2 bay units, tend to start at a couple of hundred bucks without drives. So unless you're looking in that sort of price bracket or beyond, then I'd stick with USB connectivity

NAS devices do have significant advantages though in terms of a) they can be plugged directly into the network. ie. don't need to be connected to a PC that has to stay on all the time, b) can support RAID for disk redundancy/performance etc etc.

I've got 2 spare sata docks that I'm not using, you can take one off me for $30 (postage inclusive) if you want ...

I've tried Docking stations and didnt work well for me - Vantec was the brand I was using and it kept "error"ing when I was copying and swapping files. I've gone back to the tried and true HDD enclosures plus they give me a bit more security when I'm transporting the HDD's around. My two cents and experience.

Blog Entries

Cheap USB solutions can be a bit hit and miss. I've had one client for whom the drive passed diagnostics, etc, etc...but when it came to running is image backup, it would lockup. No fault of the software, OS, and the hardware passed diagnostics. A near identical but slightly upmarket model - no worries.

I would reccommend a simple NAS solution, myself.

Or you could build a mini-ITX system, install linux or whatever and have the same thing for the same or less money.

I work in IT and at home i use a QNAP NAS, does a little more than just a storage device. Western digital do one as well .

just depends what you want to spend and what you would like to do..

or you can shop at umart online, Umart Computer Notebook&PC Parts - Umart online® Your one stop Computer Shop for computer parts,notebook and new system

build a pc with mITX mobo
    Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3 Mini-ITX Motherboard B3 [GA-H67N-USB3-B3] - $149.00 : PC Case Gear
    This way the Mobo, Cpu and RAM are covered for <$200 and it uses low power.
    I reccon you could build one for ~$300-$400 easily.

4x2TB in RAID5 = 6TB
    Install ubuntu and setup a Samba share. Doneskis.

Would make a good home server, low power consumption, data redundancy and can be left online to download
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

You can get 3Tb drives now, though they're exxy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    build a pc with mITX mobo
    Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3 Mini-ITX Motherboard B3 [GA-H67N-USB3-B3] - $149.00 : PC Case Gear
    This way the Mobo, Cpu and RAM are covered for <$200 and it uses low power.
    I reccon you could build one for ~$300-$400 easily.

4x2TB in RAID5 = 6TB
    Install ubuntu and setup a Samba share. Doneskis.

Would make a good home server, low power consumption, data redundancy and can be left online to download
    Now THAT is tempting...
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Should have mentioned though, the price is a guesstimate WITHOUT drives....
    If you dont already, check out pccasegear's prices

Pccasegear = win

Been buying from them for years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so, been having a look at it all... dont think that MB comes with CPU/RAM
    the ones that do are either an atom, or older dual core AMD... and if i went mini-ITX i would turn it into a HTPC
    been looking around and found the following:
    I3 processor ($140) Intel Core i3 2100 [BX80623I32100] - $135.00 : PC Case Gear
    that motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3 Mini-ITX Motherboard B3 [GA-H67N-USB3-B3] - $149.00 : PC Case Gear
    Lian Li case (only one with support for 4+ HDD's) Lian Li PC-Q08B Black HTPC Case [LL-PC-Q08B] - $155.00 : PC Case Gear
    to get a PSU that supports 4+ sata HDD's, looking at this: Antec EarthWatts 500W [EA-500D] - $85.00 : PC Case Gear
    + ram ($30 for 2GB or $50 for 4GB) and 1 new HDD ($70)
    looking at ~630-650

if anyone can find a way to drop that down, whilst still keeping a HTPC capable of HDMI out @ 1080p and support for 4 HDD's, i'm open to suggestions

Just found this as I'm thinking of getting another NAS - Main List Network Storage > NETGEAR, Buffalo, LaCie, Synology Inc, Iomega | ht.com.au

Buffalo Quad bay $248 checking Google I found Whirlpool forums have info and mixed reviews on it but depending on your needs, still deciding if I get this one or spend another $50 and go for the Netgear at $298 - would like a 6 bay but that jumps to the 1k mark so a 4 bay is good enough with my 1TB drives - the other 2 I may just plug in via USB into the 4 bay..................
    Last edited by KRNAGE; 15-05-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    Former 06 Black MPS3

EXE-Crew