User Tag List

Thread: Bose HU output confusion - and some other Q's

Default Bose HU output confusion - and some other Q's

Car Audio gurus, I need your help/advice!

I've been scouring the net for info on replacing the Bose headunit in my Gen1 3MPS and one question has me stumped as the answers seem to be 50/50 so far which has left me incredibly confused.

Are the feeds into the Bose amplifier from the Bose headunit line level or speaker level?

-------------

At the moment I'm looking at integrating one of the cheapie all-in-one Chinese DVD/GPS/DVB-T units like this one link here into my car. It seems to have the steering wheel inputs and an option of line level or speaker level outputs...

I've read lup15's guide here which is a great source of info.

A Metra dash kit like this link here would be needed, would I need an additional harness/adaptor like this one link here?

At a later date I may rip out all the Bose stuff, but I'm just going to start with the head unit and go from there.

I think its a high level input, if your were to buy a cheap old school amp ( like soundstream, orion etc there cheap!) running 20-30rms per channel run rcas to it from ur after market head unit the sound will be much cleaner coming out of ur bose speakers ( cuz its got no detail at the moment )

What about the resistance of the Bose speakers being only 1-2ohm? A conventional amp for 4-8ohm speakers would burn out the Bose speaker coils pretty quickly wouldn't they?

90% of amps will run 2 ohm stereo. some of the old school orion amps will run 1ohm stereo.. If you run 2 ohm speakers off a amp that will only run 4 ohm the speakers will be fine but the amp will trip out the protection 98% of the time.. or burn out the amp. As long as you dont clip the speakers they should be fine
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Thanks for the info.

Well as I'm bored here this afternoon I took the plunge and ordered one of the head units I linked above after doing some more reading, it has both line level and speaker level out so I'm covered either way there, $191 delivered! Haha!

I also ordered the Metra dash kit and wire harness for $28 or something via Amazon.com, will get that sent once delivered to my US address for another $30 or so.

So hopefully for under $250 and some elbow grease I'll have an operational 7" high resolution DVD/GPS/Digital TV/Bluetooth head unit keeping the Bose speaker hardware and steering wheel controls
    Last edited by TD; 24-04-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Good Luck Dan. I will follow with interest!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Good Luck Dan. I will follow with interest!!!
    Thanks Brad - should be interesting and electronics in cars is something I can actually do, well more so than mechanical stuff. I get a bit of a kick out of making stuff like this work properly. I'm nowhere near the level of some of the other guys on here (Nexus for example) but enjoy mucking around.

I think I have figured out the install after discovering a wiring diagram for the unit and the wiring diagram for the Bose system on my searching this afternoon. Getting the steering wheel controls to work could be interesting, the cords are there on the head unit ready for it and it appears to be resistance based only (i.e. pressing the buttons gives different resistance values, matching these to the relevant command in the head unit is via a GUI in the head unit software). But until I have the head unit in my hands I won't know.

The GPS software will be project two, I've found some online resources for that so am buliding up a couple of packages ready to dump on SD cards to test in it, but that will be another thing I'm not sure of until it's all up and running.

Looks like the digital TV capability will be SD only (also needs a better antenna than that suppiled which is 4db, a 20db omni would be the go, just have to find one). Some have had overheating problems with similar systems, so I'll rig up a small computer fan or a diversion from the factory AC to blow into or over it during the install as a precautionary measure.

They can't take HDD's via USB either, but that would be power related more than anything I think. I'll look at rigging up a permanent media drive at a later date.

interested in the outcome as i may look at "upgrading" the headunit too and was about to PM you if they would do 2 units till i read the whole thread and you had already ordered. so ill let you test, build the what to buy list and see if thats the way i want to go, or ill look at an ebay unit

Quote Originally Posted by KRNAGE View Post
    interested in the outcome as i may look at "upgrading" the headunit too and was about to PM you if they would do 2 units till i read the whole thread and you had already ordered. so ill let you test, build the what to buy list and see if thats the way i want to go, or ill look at an ebay unit
    Wait for me to figure it all out and then we'll know exactly how to set it all up

I was looking at this as a cheaper alternative to eBay, and to be a minimal muck around.

If you can't get a definite answer and want to be sure, just play some tunes and throw a multimeter across one of the channels.