User Tag List

Thread: MPS6 Transfer case issue

1. Default MPS6 Transfer case issue

Hey Guys,
    I was under the car the other day and noticed a greeny grease on the transfer case tunnel. Where the shaft comes out of the transfer case, it looks as if the seal or bearing is leaking. This may explain why i thought i have been feeling more of a shutter when accelerating. I was on the M7 yesterday when i could hear a whinging noise. I ended up pulling on my handle brake slightly to disengage the rear (read that's what happens) and the whine disappeared. I accelerated and the shutter didnt seem to be there.

Has anyone seen or heard of this before? I have been through past post but nothing has answered my problem. I live in castle hill and would like to get this inspected/quoted. Anyone know someone who can fix? Rough price? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have provided photos also. Our car is has got an upgraded lower engine mount and boost gauge. No major mods

Thanks guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1452_10-05-10.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	8298   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1452[01]_10-05-10.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	8299   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1453[01]_10-05-10.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	8300   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1453_10-05-10.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	8301  
    Last edited by MPS01; 23-04-2011 at 10:23 PM.

This is not a transfer case leak. I have the same thing and mazda claim that its just grease thats sprayed out of the UJ. I still dont think it's right though

3. Default

Ok thanks of clearing that up. Does your Mps 6 shuttle when accelerating alittle harder than normal? Especially in second? If so do you know what could be some causes? I was thinking when i applied the hand brake a little the car become smoother that it might have been something to do with the rear drive/transfer. Im lead to believe that the handbrake disables the rear drive? Please clarify?

Cheers

No i can't say i've noticed any problems while accelerating hard. Yes as soon as the hand brake light comes on the dash the car has disengaged the rear drive. The whine is from the rear diff and its a very common thing. mine does it around 75-80kmh the worst and i can also get a a bit of vibration if cruising about 110kmh. I think some people that have upgraded the rear diff mounts have reported that the vibration / whine got better but i can't confirm that.

5. Default

yeah cool thanks for that. Im going to change over my new stiffer lower engine mount and install the standard one back in to see if the acceleration vibs clear up alittle. The extra vibs i feel with the stiffer mount from the air con kicking in/out is already getting on my nerves after about 4 months.

See how i go! Let you know

Default Mazda 6 mps suspect transfer case leak

Hi guys,

I apoligise in advance if this is the wrong place to post this, new here...

I previously had a transfer case leak which was repaired. 30,000kms after a service the mechanic told me it was back. After further investigation I found that the leak wasn't coming from any of the places I have already seen on this forum but from higher up... After driving a bit I found that it was seeping from the edges of this little cap looking thing?? I have no idea what it is and have looked through all of the manuals that I can find. It can be moved around a little as well (it's not firm in place). It is about 1-2cms in diameter and has a small gasket around it, my gasket looks a little damaged thus the leak.

If anyone could tell me what this thing is I would really appreciate it.

Sorry these are the best pics I could get.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cap.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	14975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	middle.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	14976