User Tag List

Thread: Gen 1 owners: Where do you store your iPhone or other phone?

Default Gen 1 owners: Where do you store your iPhone or other phone?

Hi all.

A question for Gen 1 3 MPS owners: Where do you put your iPhone or other phone when driving your car?

I find the Gen 1 has a shortage of space to stash the phone in such a way that it won't get knocked around with spirited driving, but is still accessible to change songs or answer calls.

I usually have my iPhone plugged into the aux. socket to play music, so I try to place it in a convenient place.

The little indent to the right of the gear lever seems okay until you take a sharp corner, or knock it when you go to grab the gear lever.

The cup holder leaves it tumbling about whilst cornering and besides; having an ice cold can of coke next to my phone is not really a good option either.

Centre console tray is not practicle for quick access.

So I'm looking at what you fellow Gen 1 MPSers do with your phones, in your car.

PICS OF YOUR SETUP WOULD BE SWEET!

Thanks in advance,

Tom
    Last edited by 03blk; 23-04-2011 at 09:23 AM.

I got one of these sticky matts for like 5 bucks was fairly skeptical but it does exactly what it should ( stays in place ) even while harsh driving it holds anything keys, phone, coins and the lid still opens as if it were never there.
    So far it hasn't stained/bleached the plastic and wen it becomes 'unsticky' just wash it in water and good as new
    May not be to everones taste but works for me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303515804.262049.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	8297  

From memory, I used to put it in that little groove next to the gear shift. I actually miss that in the MPSG2. I liked it there because I could face the screen towards me and out of the corner of my eye I could tell if it was ringing or I had a message from the screen lighting up as I always have music playing very loud and can't hear it.

I have a Gen II but I have a TomTom iPhone cradle that i've mounted on my dashboard. Don't have a photo but Justin was asking me about it when I posted my track video up: YouTube - Wakefield 20110316

5. Default

I always just leave my phone sitting in the handle bit of my drivers door handle, its just the right size so it fits fairly snugly in there without sliding around

6. Default

Every time you drive you plug your IPhone in to play music?

Buy an old school IPod and leave it in the car. It might not be as cool, but it will do the same job, be more convenient and will also fit perfectly in the cup holder.

Hey guys heres a pic of my setup.. I have a old iPod touch I don't carry with me so it always stays in the car.. I have one of those radio station tune in things which has the rewind play/pause and fastforward option on the cigarette lighter which keeps my iPod charged and I just put it on shuffle and change songs without looking at my iPod.. And the white cable is the aux option as it's a lot clearer than tuning into a radio station..

Ohh and the iPod stays in the centre console bit where the aux output is

And this is what it looks like when everything is in place..

Nice and neat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303696680.491065.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	8304  
    Last edited by turkminator; 25-04-2011 at 12:01 PM.

I have a new gen iPod ummm... NANO I think it's called. It's in my glovebox connected to the iPod connector (der...)
    My iPhail sits in the cup holder with the lid open.
    P.S. My Garvin sits on the widscreen next to my oversized rear view mirrior.

jg

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher_13 View Post
    Every time you drive you plug your IPhone in to play music?

Buy an old school IPod and leave it in the car. It might not be as cool, but it will do the same job, be more convenient and will also fit perfectly in the cup holder.
    Thats what I have I brought an 8gb Ipod that stays in the glove box connected up to the ipod connector direct to the stereo ... every now and again I take it out to update the music but other than that it lives its life int he car
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Here is my solution, the cable is routed back to the glovebox where it has a USB power plug for charging and the audio in plug, I also have the video lead running up to the 7" pop up screen (you can just see it at the top) so I can watch movies if I get bored.

I bought the mount and holder from holdmyphone.com.au , it was a more expensive option than others, but saves having $1000 worth of phone bouncing around the cabin.

Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Awesome Matt, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm after.

Thanks for the link to holdmyphone.com.au. I'm just pouring over the site now!

Word of advice DONT buy one of their cables, I had one and the phone kept popping up with a "This device is not supported by iPhone" message, as they dont have the approved Apple chip in them, so it will make your phone sad.