User Tag List

Thread: Will my phone work on Telstra's NextG network???

Default Will my phone work on Telstra's NextG network???

Hi All,

Telstra's nextG network is far and away the best 3G network of any of the australian networks in terms of speed and coverage (optus is about the only one that comes close...)

if you're in the market for a new phone, and wish to buy one outright, it can be confusing buying a phone that's not supplied directly by telstra... to see if your phone is supported, try going to this website: GSMArena.com - GSM phone reviews, news, opinions, votes, manuals and more... and look at the specs of the phone, if it has "HSDPA 850" under 3G network, it will work on the nextG network

for a list of all currently available phones here is a pre-defined search query: Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com

anyways, just thought i would post this as i was bored at work and was browsing around looking for a replacement for my phone, and wanted to ensure it was nextG compatible
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Optus does not come close. I changed from Optus to Telstra about 6 months ago and the difference between their networks is cavernous.

My company was on Optus for all our mobile phones and the coverage was shocking. We kept getting dropouts on 3G so we switched to Telstra. No more problems.

Voice coverage I could handle, the main problem I had with optus was their data service simply DOES NOT WORK. Sitting there refreshing web pages half a dozen times just to get the server to respond is no good, trying to load maps and having that fail when you have somewhere important to be is no good. With telstra, its always a breeze.

5. Default

Most phones these days are quadband GSM. However 3G/HSDPA+ (high speed data) usually isn't. The good news is that a lot of the latest phones these days are also coming quadband 3G - like the iphone 4, and Samsung Galaxy S II

Generally speaking, the main carriers below use the following frequencies for 3G/HSDPA+

Telstra = 850/1900 Mhz
    Optus = 900/2100 Mhz
    Vodafone = 850(limited)/900/2100 Mhz
    Three = same as Vodafone
    Virgin = same as Optus