User Tag List

Thread: Need help choosing a clutch

Default Need help choosing a clutch

Hey guys

My Gen 1 3 MPS has already 90,000kms on it and i am feeling that its time to change the clutch. I was looking into npc clutches (too pricey for me tho),spec and act. All of them have different stages depending how modified your car is so i cant decide which one would be the best clutch for my car. If you guys have any suggestions or another clutch brand that you think is better than the ones i listed please tell me,i am a noob with clutches and all that stuff

The car has following mods:

Fujita F5 CAI
    Corksport TBE
    CPE FMIC
    Haltech piggyback (fitted and tuned by Allstars Tuning)
    TurboXS bov
    JB short shifter
    Lovells Springs
    Prosport boost gauge
    Scangauge Dashhawk
    HKS type-0 turbo timer

Thanks in advance

I have a ACt street clutch kit holds 500nm, will give a review when i drive it ( tomorrow)

I would say get a new stock clutch as you are not really that heavily modified. The after market ones make all kinds of noises (rattles,clunks) are not that comfortable to drive. They sound like something is broken. The spec ones are like on/off and there's no smooth transition into gears.

Looking forward to read your review Luke ! What do you think about 4 puck sprung/unsprung and 6 puck sprung/unsprung act clutches?

As for the standard clutch,i feel that it doesnt really hold power at higher rpms. And i dont really mind the noises as long as the clutch works well.

Cheers

Coming up on 135,000kms here and I've been looking at exactly the same thing...

ACT HD Street Clutch/Flywheel kits.
    ACT MAZDASPEED 3 HD Clutch/Flywheel Kit, Street Disc Kit

Either that or getting something done by DCS:
    Clutches - International supplier clutch kits, clutch parts, clutch plates, clutch cylinder.

I stayed away from 4/6 puck clutchs as they are hard on teh drive train. Tricky to drive in traffic, the street clutch seemed teh best option. They hold 40% more than standard so that would do me, remebering its FWD so teh wheels will spin before the clutch lets go

I phoned DCS the other day,they quoted me around 1700 for the normal organic clutch and 1880 for the heavy duty organic clutch ( both include flywheel ). A bit too pricey for me

What about Exedy Clutches?

Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    I phoned DCS the other day,they quoted me around 1700 for the normal organic clutch and 1880 for the heavy duty organic clutch ( both include flywheel ). A bit too pricey for me
    Have you asked Mazda what they charge for the stock item? Also, labour is going to be a killer

Quote Originally Posted by zippymps3 View Post
    What about Exedy Clutches?
    Exedy only make an OEM replacement clutch. No better versions.

[QUOTE=Jeev;166284]Have you asked Mazda what they charge for the stock item? Also, labour is going to be a killer

I had mine replaced 10 months ago by Mazda and they charged me about $2500
    The invoice was made up of $2000 materials and $500 labour. They had the car for 3 days
    Cheers

Allstar put in a new heavy duty clutch with ceremic flywheel for me last month which was also around the $1800 mark and took about 4 days which included fixing non-related issues.
    I wouldnt want to recommend it to anyone as it is a killer in traffic, constantly having to bring the gear back to nutral at lights and heavy traffic just to get my foot off the clutch. I've probably done 3 maybe 4,000 kms in it and it has become alot softer.. Either that or my leg has got alot stronger. But the clutch itself seems very good though, and while you are moving the gear changes are very responsive.

So I kind of have a love/hate with it. I didnt get OEM because it was too exxy, and I didnt want to let Mazda touch my car again, lol.
    Last edited by ZedN; 13-04-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZedN View Post
    Either that or my leg has got alot stronger.
    that'd make you easy to spot in a crowd. Just look for the guy with the massively over-developed left leg walking around in circles
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

I was seriously scared that is what would happen to me the first day I drove it... I actually had muscle aches the next day as if I had had a big gym work out - on one leg.

Why not give MPSG a call & ask them about this clutch...
    http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/pro...-3-clutch.html

Could be worth a try.

is your clutch slipping ? how does it not hold power at high rpms ? i thought it either holds or it doesnt.

I have a MPS3 Gen1 with 151k on the clock.

Just been looking at pricing for replacing the clutch, I bought my MPS at 60k and the clutch is pretty heavy/bitey, so i am thinking it may not be standard.. I could be wrong though.

I got a dealer price for replacement. 2300 for the kit, which includes a dual mass flywheel and ~800 in labour.

So I am now thinking maybe going for the SPEC Stage 3 Clutch and Fidanza flywheel, anybody using this combination at the moment?

Has anybody done this change themselves? I have done many of clutch/flywheel replacements on other cars, including FWD turbo, but never a Mazda3. So tossing up whether to pay the days labour or give it a go myself.

cheers guys.

PS. my current clutch is not slipping under load, but seems to be biting in quite quickly/hard since a couple weeks ago. Also I have been getting occassional irregular idle, which I have heard can be a cause of a dying Dual Mass flywheel.

Looks like DCS might not be such a bad option after all. Either that or I'll opt for whatever AllStar are selling.

I have the spec stage 3 and fidanza flywheel. Idle is terrible, all sorts of noises, sounds like the car is broken. Very harsh on the drivetrain and its completely on/off and is ridiculous to drive in traffic. If you are not going to big power and you are keeping the stock turbo, there is no need for aftermarket clutches. Thats just my opinion. I also note the guys in the US are going Big Turbo and using the stock clutch.