User Tag List

Thread: How long to build and deliver?

Default How long to build and deliver?

Hi folks, after finally pulling my finger out and ordering a Mazda 3 MPS Lux Alu about 3 weeks ago, I was given a delivery date of end of April (brand new 2011 build)... I got a call last week to tell me that the factory had actually stopped building the cars (due to the earthquake), and that they wouldn't start building the cars again until April 18th!

Anyone know how long it'd take the to a) build the car and b) ship it to Australia? I've asked the dealer to find out for me and they're trying to find out the information, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Hi and welcome

If it's like most things, shipping time would be around 4-5 weeks or there abouts.

Not sure about the build time. Mazda can crank out cars pretty quickly, but it's highly dependent on how many other orders are waiting in the queue ahead of you. That's something only the factory can answer unfortunately.

Good luck. They're worth the wait

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

" How long is a piece of string ? "

At one point their was a 3month wait time on the Mazda3
    All depends how soon they can get production + parts up and running again

I ordered my car in late November.
    Said I wanted a January 2010 build instead of a December 09.
    So it was built 2nd week of January. I had it last week of Febuary.
    It was a hard wait!

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Shipping is only a couple of weeks from memory.

Heh that sucks!

When I paid my deposit for my car it had just been loaded onto the ship bound for Australia, it arrived at the dealer about 3 weeks after that.

There is probably a get out clause on your contract for that if you want to try your luck at another dealer and see if they have stock ready. Depends how patient you are really.

Id say you would be in for a decent wait depending on if the factory was damaged etc, maybe ask around dealerships and see who has stock

Most dealerships sell for each other, ask if they can get one in through some other dealer if same car is available?

Yeah they already tried ringing around other dealers to see if they could get one (I was initially just going to get a 2010 model) but they weren't able to source one, so in the end they put me on the list to get a 2011 one, first thought to be delivered by end of April, but now ??

An article on car advice shows that Toyota are resuming on April 18th as well, so doesn't look like it was a Mazda specific date:

Toyota Japan to resume production at all plants on April 18 | Car Advice | Reviews

Mazda's two main plants in Japan are in Hiroshima and Hofu, which are both a fair way from the epicenter of the earthquakes and tsunamis, so I don't know if the factories themselves would have been directly affected

Having said that, Mazda, like all other Japanese car manufacturers, would employ contract manufacturing companies all over Japan to produce components for them, so it could be something as simple as a crucial $20 part that hasn't been able to be manufactured that is holding up the show.

Got a call today to let me know that the MPS I ordered would be built this month... still couldn't say how long it would take to get here with any accuracy though.

That's a good sign

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took 2 months from order placement to arrival for mine. I kept getting mixed msgs from my dealer so I tracked my car by calling Mazda Australia customer assistance line direct.

You know the dealer, color of your car. If you get the nice man I got he will give you the tracking number based on that info.

Once you have that get updates direct from Mazda Australia every 2 weeks or so.

The wait will feel like forever though no matter how short or long it takes ;-)

Interesting, didn't know you could do that - the dealer said they'd keep checking and keep me updated though... but I'll keep that in mind!

From info I've heard, the actual assembly of the car on the manufacturing line is probably around a day. The rest of it is waiting for a boat, stopping off at other ports, arriving at the port and going through all the checks, dealer being allocated the car and getting it delivered etc.

hey yer i work for mazda atm there haven trouble because of the earthquake we have alot of cars that we r waiting on that were given a delevery date of 2 weeks ago and we still dont have them but hopeing that they come soon..... shouldnt b to much longer though.

I was told the boat my car was going on, and the date, from there you can simply track the boats position on the internet, and when its docked,
    Then it probably took about a week by the time it went through customs, was transported to the dealer and was ready for my pick up.
    So once your car is on the ship you know you have about 3 weeks till you get it...

Well I rang back again today to see what was happening, they had a new date - mid June sometime between 15th to 19th.

Urgh, another months wait. :\

it will be worth it mate

19. Default

6 mths for some european cars. waiting is not such a bad thing, makes you appreciate s**t.

I ordered at the end of January, it's still not here