User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand prix Mazda motorsport launches new car for 2011 season

Exclamation Grand prix Mazda motorsport launches new car for 2011 season

Grand Prix Mazda Motorsport has unveiled the new Mazda3 MPS race car that will be driven by Jake Camilleri as he stakes his claim on the 2011 Australian Manufacturers Championship.
    Replacing the previous generation Mazda3 MPS that Camilleri drove to Class C victory in last year’s Australian Manufacturers Championship, the new-generation Mazda3 MPS is expected to further strengthen Grand Prix Mazda Motorsport’s 2011 campaign.
    Significant upgrades to the fuel system, suspension and brakes have taken performance to a new level and the Grand Prix team are now looking forward to seeing how the improved package stacks up against the competition.
    The team’s first chance to shine will be the round one of this year’s championship to be held at Philip Island on 16 and 17 April.
    Jake Camilleri is looking forward to the season ahead and is optimistic about the team’s chances of success. “The team has worked hard to prepare the new car and get it to the race-ready condition that it’s now at. We’ve done a bit of testing and we’re happy with the results of that. The next stage now is to get it on the grid and see if we can build on last year’s results. With the team as strong as ever and the new Mazda3 MPS ready to go, we’re keen to get stuck in and start collecting points,” said Camilleri.
    In addition to a Class C victory in the 2010 Australian Manufacturers Championship, Jake Camilleri was voted the year’s Best and Fairest Driver by his peers.
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

I see a double dry break valve on the back there. That is an improvement over the old BK 3 that had it in the boot.

It is a sexy looking ride.

Quote Originally Posted by projectrracing View Post
    I see a double dry break valve on the back there. That is an improvement over the old BK 3 that had it in the boot.

It is a sexy looking ride.
    Well spotted, they had some issues with it and last time I saw it they were sorting fume smells from the fuel bladder... Yes it's come up very nice..

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Hey Rino this is one nice looking Gen 2. Would love to go to the awesome Phillip Island track for the race but Victoria not cold enough for me yet so going to wait until mid June so I can see the Pies whoop the Dee's and hopefully get to go on the MPS GOR cruise.

they have interesting colour choices
    hope it goes well

SUPER DEBUT FROM NEW MAZDA SETS UP STRONG SEASON

A SUPER DEBUT from their brand-new Mazda 3 MPS has given Grand Prix Motorsport even more reason to be excited about this year’s Australian Manufacturers Championship.

With just one day of testing under their belt before hitting the high-speed Phillip island circuit, the team had every reason to expect a challenging weekend – but the results proved that the preparation of the new car was spot-on as the team scored a solid haul of points and a class win from the first round.

Driver Jake Camilleri qualified the new car on the front row with an impressive qualifying lap, and was fighting the Class B BMW of Peter O’Donnell in race one before a tyre was cut after slightly clipping a kerb at the turn four hairpin as the pair diced.

Not wanting to make an unscheduled pit stop – with the team already having to make one compulsory stop as part of the race regulations – Camilleri slowed the car and was able to enter pit lane just seconds after the siren sounded, opening the pit window. The excellent timing saved the team more than a minute and kept them in the hunt for a strong finish despite the dramas.

With a new tyre, the car finished strongly and scored a first-up finish of fifth place, second in class C.

Race two went much smoother, Camilleri bringing the car home comfortably first in class and second outright, an outstanding debut for a brand-new car in only its fourth ever day of on track action.

To make matters even more challenging, Camilleri was sick for a majority of the weekend however the results were enough reason to give him a big smile at the end of the weekend.

“It’s an awesome result for the entire team,” Jake Camilleri said.

“I was pretty sick all weekend and that wasn’t a great feeling – but what was great was the way the car performed straight out of the box. To go to third position in the first practice session was great, straight up the car felt really good.

“To qualify on the front row was good and we had a big battle with Peter O’Donnell in the BMW in race one. I made a move at the hairpin and just clipped the inside kerb which we think was what cut a chunk out of the front tyre. We just made it in for the unscheduled stop when the pit window opened so it could have been much worse.”

Camilleri said there was much, much more to come from the car as their development program continued – sending a warning to his class rivals, not to mention the four-wheel-drive turbo car that dominated the weekend.

“There is so much more balance and speed to get out of the car,” he explained.

“The car feels very good on its tyres, especially on older rubber so it’s nice to know that coming into the endurance races later this year.

“We now have a heap of information from the weekend – for instance, we didn’t have the ideal setup in the car and we just lacked the track time to get it right. We made a change in race two and it was probably in the wrong direction – but we now know that and that’s all part of having a new car.

“I’m really excited about the year. I’m proud of the team and the way they worked so well together. It’s a credit to all of them; it was a top weekend!”

Team Manager Graeme Murray agreed with Camilleri and said there was plenty of improvement to come.

“It was an impressive weekend, we had great car speed and only a few little niggling ‘new-car’ issues to work through, which was a great start,” he said.

“It’s a brand new car so we’re not as comfortable with it as we would like, but for a first-up debut it was a great start, really positive - especially given the limited amount of track time we had at the weekend.

“With two practice sessions and then straight into Qualifying, Friday was just flat out the whole way – I didn’t know where the time went. But the more track time we get the better and the more we will develop the car.

“It was great from our perspective to have someone like Allan Heaphy (from TMR Australia) come down to the garage and congratulate us on the weekend and the debut of the new car. It’s a big step forward from the old car and there is more to come. I think we’re in for a really good season.”

Grand Prix Motorsport’s next challenge will be the Phillip Island Six Hour – round two of the Australian Manufacturers Championship – to be held on May 28-29.
    Grand Prix Motorsport would like to thank Castrol, Esanda, Allianz and Grand Prix Mazda for their continued support.

ENDS

Last edited by 240MPS; 19-04-2011 at 07:45 AM.

You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

what wheels are they? look good

I have put in a request to find out Lup15 let you know unless I go there today to see them...

Dropped in to see the boys at Allstar Tuning after dropping Duggie off at the Strathpine railway station this morning, I think when my replacement car comes end of year I may need to look at a Gen2 or 3 so much better, better than the Gen 1 . New setups and ecu's are all happening and the developing and pulling of the hairs have just about passed them and they just can't get over how well the car went with no official testing to hit the track and end up with the result they got,it handles and corners so much better than the Gen1 and the power on normal 98 fuel with their development is pulling some great numbers with less revs ( I won't mention figures up here ) even though they get scrutineer on the day, and they have some great development still to come, going what Richard was saying with a grin on his face........
    Last edited by 240MPS; 04-05-2011 at 01:27 PM.

You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

GRAND PRIX MOTORSPORT READY FOR ISLAND ENDURANCE

Photo: The new Grand Prix Motorsport Mazda 3 MPS on the front row for it's first ever race start, at Phillip Island.

Image: - Click to download hi-res for media use
    A COMPLIMENTARY relationship between co-drivers will be a key component to success at this weekend’s Phillip Island six-hour enduro, says Grand Prix Motorsport driver Jake Camilleri.

The Queensland Mazda dealer will again team with long-time co-driving partner Scott Nicholas in the first round of the Australian Production Car Endurance Championship at the weekend, the pair having already tasted success together on more than one occasion.

The Camilleri / Nicholas combination will also have the added benefit of the new Grand Prix Mazda 3 MPS at their disposal after an encouraging first round, also at the Island, in April.

“Scott and I are both very much aware of how to manage the car throughout the course of a long-distance race and I think that makes us a great combination,” Camilleri – currently second in the Australian Manufacturers Championship - explained.

“We’ve now done a couple of long distance races, like Bathurst, Eastern Creek and even Dubai, together in a couple of different categories and work really well together. He’s great support to what I’m doing. I’ll tend to concentrate on one thing – like going as quickly as possible – but he’ll bring it back and offer ideas, so it’s a great partnership.”

The new Grand Prix Mazda 3 MPS performed strongly at Phillip Island last month, finishing second overall and first in class after a strong weekend ‘straight out of the box’.

After heading to the first round with little time to develop the car, Camilleri said the team had learned plenty from their first hit out at the Island, and would take new developments and new ideas into the six-hour this weekend.

“We didn’t have much time to prepare before the first round, we were really learning as we went with the new car,” he said.

“But we now have a heap of information we can draw on and we’re pretty confident on things like fuel economy and tyre life that are so important for the longer distance races like this one.

“Graeme Murray, our team manager, has put in a lot of work on the car and has been working on some new things we’ll put into the car for this weekend. We’re learning all the time but we know that this new car is already a much better starting point than the old car was.”

A trip to Phillip Island always raises the question of weather – the circuit’s location next to Bass Straight often offering up freezing winds and changeable conditions that can vary from bright sunlight to torrential rain within the space of just a few minutes.

Whilst current forecasts indicate relatively stable conditions and temperatures in the low-to-mid teens, Camilleri said he didn’t mind what the weather did.

“If it rains, I’ll probably be even more confident than I am if it’s dry,” he enthused.

“I’m not really concerned what it does – I’m just eager to get down there and have a go. Either way, we’re ready.”

The 23-car field will take the starter on Sunday morning after practice and qualifying on Saturday. Fans and supporters of Grand Prix Motorsport can watch all the action online across the day via www.itvlive.com.au

Grand Prix Motorsport would like to thank Castrol, Esanda, Allianz and Grand Prix Mazda for their continued support.

ENDS
    Last edited by 240MPS; 25-05-2011 at 06:51 PM.

You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

STUNNING SIX HOUR SECOND FOR GRAND PRIX MOTORSPORT

Photo: Grand Prix Motorsport (left) fought with bigger cars - and beat them - at the weekend.

Image: - Richard Craill / Race Torque Media Photo. Click to download hi-res for media use

Photo: Jake Camilleri and Scott Nicholas in action at Phillip Island.

Image: - Richard Craill / Race Torque Media Photo. Click to download hi-res for media use

GRAND PRIX MOTORSPORT have warned there is ‘more to come’ from the teams new Mazda 3 MPS, after coming close to enforcing a major upset at the weekend’s Phillip Island six-hour Production Car race.

A stunning weekend saw drivers Jake Camilleri and Scott Nicholas not only dominate their class, but give the dominant TMR Mitsubishi squad something to think about in the process – leading the race at times and nearly finishing on the lead lap after six hours of racing.

The new Mazda 3 MPS – in only its second ever race meeting – qualified second outright in Saturday’s two-session qualifying format with the drivers showing just how evenly matched a combination they really are.

Both drivers lapped the 4.46km Phillip Island circuit in 1m49.74s – their aggregate time topping everyone in the field bar the pole-sitting Four-wheel drive Lancer.

The race was an exercise in strategy and consistency, the Grand Prix Motorsport team settling into a comfortable race pace early in the six-hour affair and staying abreast of the multiple safety car interruptions in the first three hours.

And then, when the leader was penalised for a pit lane infringement, the car took the race lead seven laps – alternating between first and second for the remainder of the race as pit strategy was sorted out.

The #36 car remained on the lead lap for all but the final ten minutes of the 183 lap (816km) race, dropping the pace in the closing stages to conserve a suspected front-end issue that developed late in the race.

The final results show the team second outright, having completed 182 laps.

A class victory – by two laps over the Ryan McLeod / Jason Bright Astra – was another sign of the strong performance.

“We’re really pleased, we really couldn’t have asked for a better day,” an elated Jake Camilleri said post-race.

“Everything went pretty much to plan and the car was faultless all day. Scott and I worked to a plan and it was quite effortless really. The crew were pefect.

“With 10 minutes to go something broke in the front end – we’re not sure what – so we backed the pace off to make sure we finished. It was still drivable but you don’t want to take risks at that stage of the day.

“We wouldn’t have dropped off the lead lap if we hadn’t have had the problem – it would have been nice to stay on the lead lap, but it didn’t affect the overall result."

Camilleri said there was more to come from the car ahead of the next championship round at Morgan Park, in Queensland, this August.

“We’ve got a lot of developments to come and it’s only timing that we didn’t get them ready for here. I think by the time we get to Morgan Park we’ll be even better.”

Camilleri’s long-time driving partner Scott Nicholas was similarly pleased with the weekend.

“The car is fantastic, really good and it’s great to drive,” he said.

“I’m really pleased with this result and it’s a credit to how hard the team works. Jake and I make a great combination – we work well together and we’re very closely matched as we showed in qualifying when we set identical times.

“The new car is just chalk and cheese compared to the old one - it's a massive step up. To get this kind of result and push the Mitsubishi as hard as we did is a great result.”

The strong result puts the Grand Prix Motorsport combination an early second in the Australian Production Endurance
    Championship, and solidifies Camilleri’s strong position in the Manufacturers Championship point score after finishing second in the first two rounds – both at Phillip Island.

The next challenge for the Grand Prix Motorsport Mazda 3 MPS will be their home round – at the fast and technical Morgan Park Raceway in Queensland on August 13-14.

ENDS

Last edited by 240MPS; 31-05-2011 at 10:47 AM.

You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

sounds good
    i'll probably make the trek out to eastern creek for the 8hr race on 10/11th of december

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    sounds good
    i'll probably make the trek out to eastern creek for the 8hr race on 10/11th of december
    The OzMPS cruise that the Bathurst 12hr was ment to be???

Shame (in some ways) that the production cars aren't more publicised, so people will see what the MPS is actually capable of.
    Impressive result for a modified road car, not a purpose built race car like the EVO's are

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    The OzMPS cruise that the Bathurst 12hr was ment to be???

Shame (in some ways) that the production cars aren't more publicised, so people will see what the MPS is actually capable of.
    Impressive result for a modified road car, not a purpose built race car like the EVO's are
    Yeh hopefully someone might knock some sense into the organiser next year, talking with the boys and there will be negotiatons but still up in the air, it was a big let down for this year with many numbers down on last year but let's see what next year brings....

PS... Hmmmmm me thinks me get a Gen 2 in the new year there is some more good things to come out of development with the race car.......

You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

WatchGrand Prix Motorsport’s Mazda3 MPS take 2nd outright in the Phillip Island 6 hour on SBS’s

SPEEDWEEK

THIS SUNDAY

12.30 -2.00PM

CATCH ALL THE ACTION FROM THIS ACTION PACKED EVENT

IT HAS IT ALL FROM THE DRAMAS OF CARS NOT MAKING THE START, MASSIVE CRASHES AND A 6 CAR BATTLE FOR OUTRIGHT AND INTENSE CLASS DUELS THAT GO ALL THE WAY TO THE WIRE.

You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    WatchGrand Prix Motorsport’s Mazda3 MPS take 2nd outright in the Phillip Island 6 hour on SBS’s

SPEEDWEEK

THIS SUNDAY

12.30 -2.00PM

CATCH ALL THE ACTION FROM THIS ACTION PACKED EVENT

IT HAS IT ALL FROM THE DRAMAS OF CARS NOT MAKING THE START, MASSIVE CRASHES AND A 6 CAR BATTLE FOR OUTRIGHT AND INTENSE CLASS DUELS THAT GO ALL THE WAY TO THE WIRE.
    Shit Rino I will be in Almadin at that time could you please record it on a dvd & send it to me please

Col

THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by YOU LOSE View Post
    Shit Rino I will be in Almadin at that time could you please record it on a dvd & send it to me please

Col

I'm working too Col,remember I was suppose to go to the V8's and decided i should come to this cruise instead and the staff member piked out on me otherwise I would be in cairns this morning being my normal day off ....

You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Yes mate I remember , but I thought you could record it on one of Hardly Normals dvd recorders wish you were here the weather is fantastic for a cruise .

Col
    Last edited by YOU LOSE; 17-06-2011 at 05:22 PM.

COMEBACK TO CLASS WIN IN THE SANDOWN 500

JAKE CAMILLERI ANDSCOTT NICHOLAS have bounced back from potential race-ending damage to win their class for Grand Prix Motorsport at the Dial Before you Dig Sandown 500, held at the weekend.

Split over two, 250km legs but scored as one race with a long break in the middle, the Grand Prix Mazda 3 MPS was positioned inside the top four and onthe lead lap when the first leg of the race was restarted with one lap remaining Saturday afternoon.

Unfortunately, Nicholas ran off the circuit and made contact with the tyre barrier at Dandenong road in the hectic dash to the flag whilst trying to lift the little Mazda up the order ahead of Sunday’s deciding leg.

The car ended the leg beached in the sand with light damage to the front corner after the contact with the tyres.

With just 15 minutes of time to repair and service the car before parc ferme’conditions began Saturday night, the team worked flat out and ensured the car was ready for Sunday’s continuation – where they would start from the back and one lap behind after not taking the flag.

Strong drives from both Nicholas and Camilleri, and slick pit work from the Grand Prix Mazda team dragged them back into contention and – after a race-long battle with the fellow class C-contending BMW – finished seventh outright and first in class to continue the teams’ banner season in the still new 2011 Mazda3 MPS.

“Scott was doing a great job and running fourth but he knew that the only way to get past the four-wheel drive cars was under brakes where our car was stronger,” Camilleri explained post-race.

“Unfortunately it didn’t quite work out and we had to go from the back on Sunday because we didn’t quite complete the first leg. It was just one of thosethings and to be at that point and contending for a top three showed how well our Saturday had gone up to then.
    In the end we were still able to come through on Sunday and finish the race seventh outright and get the class win which was a great result.

“The team did a great job and the new format for this weekend really allowed them to get involved and play a major role in the race. The pit stops were outstanding and the strategy went to plan and in the end we were able to havean awesome race with the BMW 130 for the class win.

“Even with a couple of issues it was a great weekend and a great event and I’m really proud of the whole team for their efforts.”

Team Manager
    Graeme Murray said the results showed the continued improvement of performance from the Mazda 3 MPS,which continues to punch above its weight in the Australian Manufacturers Championship ranks.

“We’re still learning the car and making it better but the weekend went really well,” he explained.

“We lost time in the pit stops because we were pitted between two class A cars.They would come in and have to change four tyres but we only needed to change one and our boys were so quick that we would be finished but get boxed in bythe cars either side of us. That cost us some time.

“Jake and Scott also reported some issues with fourth gear on Sunday that, inthe end, they had to drive around. To work through the issues we had and still come away with the class victory and a really strong position in the outright championship means it was a good weekend.

“We’ll go back and give the car a complete freshen up before the final race and see if we can keep on going and knocking off the Mitsubishi’s at the front.”

The next race of the VIP Petfoods Australian Manufacturers Championship and Australian Production Endurance Championship will be the Eastern Creek 8 Hour,scheduled for December 8-10.

Grand Prix Motorsport – 2011 Season To Date

Australian Manufacturers Championship – Round 1 (Phillip Island)

Qualified:
    2nd (1st in Class C)
    Race 1 (20 laps):5th (2nd in Class C)
    Race 2 (20 Laps):2nd (1st in Class C)

Australian Manufacturers Championship – Round 2 (Phillip Island)
    Australian Production Endurance Championship – Round 1

Qualified:2nd (1st in Class C)
    Race (6 Hours):2nd (1st in Class C)

Australian Manufacturers Championship – Round 3 (Morgan Park)

Qualified: 5th(1st in Class C)
    Race 1 (1 Hour):4th (1st in Class C)
    Race 2 (1 Hour): 4th(1st in Class C)

Australian Manufacturers Championship – Round 4 (Sandown Raceway)
    Australian ProductionEndurance Championship – Round 2

Qualified:7th (1st in Class C)
    Race 1 (500km):7th (1st in Class C)

Last edited by 240MPS; 14-09-2011 at 07:50 PM.

You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast