User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air filter options

Default Air filter options

I just had my 6mps serviced and was told i need the air filter replaced,
    i didn't have it done as i want to weigh up all the options first,
    *factory replacement paper filter, chep and easy
    *K&N replacement panel filter
    *SRI or CAI ,do they offer much power increase or is it just intake noise?
    hard to justify price atm.
    So what do you people run/recomend ?
    Cheers Todd

Blog Entries

the K&N is an unreal replacement and most of the time its usually not that more than a genuine filter.

I had a K&N in my 3 for a while and throttle response was so much better than stock.

SRI or CAI will help the turbo breath and give you some more power but like you said depends on how much you want to spend.

HKS SRi with K&N strapped to it !!

someone should move this to intake section.... i feel... MODDDDD !!!!!!!!

CPE CAI, not sure of actual power increases the RPM store has a dyno graph showing some increase. More noise - yes, more low end and top end response - yes, do I like it - yes! Hope this helps, think there is one for sale from memory here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0125 lr.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	340  

K&N is a great option.

CAI/SRI will give an increase. I just spent the last 2 months testing both the CPE and Mazdapseed CAIs.

CPE was the better of the two, more torque, spooled up quicker. BUT noisey.

Mazdaspeed was slightly quieter and less responsive.

There is also an airbox mod you can do.

After all my research and listening to other MPS6 with CAI on I found something rather odd:

"BOth the AEM and Mazdaspeed CAIs are near silent on 05 models. On my 07 model the same Mazdaspeed intake that I borrowed made the car sound like a jet fighter. The CPE was even worse."

So....what year is your car....(would love your thoughts on this too shakespear)

Quote Originally Posted by EQ View Post

So....what year is your car....(would love your thoughts on this too shakespear)
    Hey EQ, mines an Oct 06 build, the CPE is loud, low rpm sounds a bit like an angry vacuum cleaner, not much BOV noise. At high RPM/WOT it's singing loudly and lots of BOV noises, I'm liking it most at this end as the whislte/wine is quite a nice noise (I tend to drive with the passenger window partly down to listen to her singing), just need to do my exhaust next.

exhaust...same here...hmmmmmm remus...hmmm expesnive...

hi EQ i've got a 2 and i rang mazda about putting a k&n it it they reckon do that and i loose the warrenty on my motor?

K&N is a great option.

CAI/SRI will give an increase. I just spent the last 2 months testing both the CPE and Mazdapseed CAIs.

Mazdaspeed was slightly quieter and less responsive.

There is also an airbox mod you can do.

After all my research and listening to other MPS6 with CAI on I found something rather odd:

"BOth the AEM and Mazdaspeed CAIs are near silent on 05 models. On my 07 model the same Mazdaspeed intake that I borrowed made the car sound like a jet fighter. The CPE was even worse."

Hey EQ mine is an Oct 05 build, i was thinking of modding the airbox with
    the K&N panel filter dropped in, just wasn't sure about the best way to go
    about it without wrecking it

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by spastic View Post
    hi EQ i've got a 2 and i rang mazda about putting a k&n it it they reckon do that and i loose the warrenty on my motor?
    That's pretty pathetic if a drop in panel filter voids warranty, i'm lucky
    (or unlucky) as my Mazda warranty runs out in a month, you could always swap back the factory filter if you ever had to make a claim

Quote Originally Posted by spastic View Post
    Just call another stealership.
    If some sort of engine failure happens they must prove it was the mod (fail to see how a K&N could do anything)

If the dealer is not mod friendly then use a different one.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Your dealer is absolute [insert phrase here] if they void your warranty cos of a tiny little panel filter.

12 Lead - as JMAC says find another "Stealerhip" ROFL love it!!!

On my 07 model the same Mazdaspeed intake that I borrowed made the car sound like a jet fighter. The CPE was even worse."
    Apparently with the new cp-e Nviscid Silicone inlet pipe, the lower range induction and spool up / bov noises are muffled by about 30%, but intake noises are louder at WOT.

the HKS SRi sucks small children from the bikes as i go past... 06 model... loud as ... even sometimes on start up.. sits there ... slurrrrrppppppppppp

Just got my car serviced in waterloo, and was advised that a K+N panel filter would NOT affect my warranty ( other then extenuating circumstances eg, filter breaks down and engine lunches on bits of plastic)

Blog Entries

My dealer has never had a problem with either my k&n or my custom intake at all...if you are nice to your dealer they will be nice to you.

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    My dealer has never had a problem with either my k&n or my custom intake at all...if you are nice to your dealer they will be nice to you.
    Depends on your dealer. Some just don't want to deal with any aftermarket mods. When I worked in a company that was a dealer for accounting software, we would charge extra if people messed around with the software that required us to fix it - i.e. mod their application. I can see the dealer's point of view, but some just take it too far, case in point K&N filter. My dealer has not said anything about my SRI and TMIC during services and even installed my CP-e engine mount for me, but the ultimate test will be if I make a claim.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nuliaj View Post
    Depends on your dealer. Some just don't want to deal with any aftermarket mods. When I worked in a company that was a dealer for accounting software, we would charge extra if people messed around with the software that required us to fix it - i.e. mod their application. I can see the dealer's point of view, but some just take it too far, case in point K&N filter. My dealer has not said anything about my SRI and TMIC during services and even installed my CP-e engine mount for me, but the ultimate test will be if I make a claim.
    Very very true...the fact that I have known my Mazda dealer for well over 10 years does help but I know of a few other people who have modded mazda's at the same dealer and like you said it depends on the dealer.
    Not Gone...just "busy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino
    It's not blue screen of death Kent, it's Auora Blue screen of death

I think dealers vary, let not discuss which dealers are mod friendly etc
    Last edited by EQ; 04-03-2009 at 02:54 PM.

I think dealers vary. Be warned, following some recent events let not discuss which dealers are mod friendly etc. Some wrists got smacked last week.
    Did I miss something?

**updated***
    Last edited by EQ; 04-03-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast