User Tag List

Thread: Alternative Tyre Types?

Default Alternative Tyre Types?

Hi everybody, just got a quick question.

Since my KU-36's are almost out (didn't take very long sub 15,000) and now they have lost most of there bite (i can get 3rd gear to spin).

Just wondering if there would be any issues in having Street Legal Semi-Slicks on rear end and having cheaper harder tyres on the front or opposite way around?

Dont be scared to say its stupid lol, just wondering if it could cause uneven handling.

It's not a stupid though, and does make a lot of sence.
    Only real issue is that you won't be able to rotate your tyres.

It's a good way of balancing understeer and overseer. But could take some trial and error to sort out how you like it.

Yay not silly lol, had 2 different thought processes,
    Either have super sticky tyres up front for good launches and so on, and cheaps on rear so i'd only have to replace fronts every 10,000km and the rears like once every 3 - 5 years lol.

Or consider that i'd never get decent traction and that i'll have to be more careful with throttle application and have cheaps on front to burn through them and have super stickys on back to make of the rear of the car really 'glued' to the ground.

Any tyre that gets 10,000km from it will be twice the cost of KU36s. So in the end, you'll be paying out more running with them only on the fronts option. I'll use my track tyres for another car, 205/50R15 over 30,000km travelled.

8x kumho ku36 @ 30,000km = 8x $150 = $1200

6x hankook rs3 + 2x cheap s@#t @ 30,000km = 6x $300 + 2x $100 = $2000

hankook rs3, hankook rx3, toyo r888, toyo r1r, dunlop 03g, kumho v700, kumho v70a etc in the end cost big, and heavy MPS will chew them up easily. might only get 7000km out of them without rotation cycle. some of them have wear ratings of 100, and some have 140. will differ from size to size, but will be close in most sizes.
    Last edited by projectrracing; 09-04-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Yeah, KU-36 are more like 220 now but i see your point .

I might get some cheaper tyres now and save for some Goodyears or maybe try find a price on Nitto NT05s apparently there a quality tyre.

If it wasn't for the wear indicators on the tyres i wouldn't be too fussed cause grip is still epic around corners, but its only like 3 mm to wear lines .
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    If it wasn't for the wear indicators on the tyres i wouldn't be too fussed cause grip is still epic around corners, but its only like 3 mm to wear lines .
    KU36s only had 7mm in tread depth. minus the 1mm for the wear indicator. so you are only at half life of the tyres if you have 3mm left to the indicator.

You just made my day lol i was getting paranoid cause every is like fark nearly at limiter :S... Guess they still got some stuff left in them .