User Tag List

Thread: Flash tunes and torque restrictions on the MPS3

Default Flash tunes and torque restrictions on the MPS3

Calling all flash tuners;

What control do you have over the torque restrictions applied against the gear, and SWAS (Steering Wheel Angle Sensor) input?

I'd be keen to see the restrictions removed from the point of view of what gear I'm in (I'm quite capable of modulating throttle input to avoid traction loss), and re-tuning of the restrictions imposed based on readings from the SWAS.

My car has wider wheels, sticky tyres, upgraded springs and shocks and is well and truly capable of putting down more power than the factory ecu is allowing. That said, complete removal of the restriction applied from the SWAS is not what I'm after. I just want it tuned to the handling characteristics of my individual car.

Keen to hear from anyone who has discussed this with their flash tuner, and of course from any tuners themselves who know what they're talking about

try sending jess a PM View Profile: Jess at Tunehouse - OzMPSclub - Australia's fastest growing Mazda MPS forum or giving the guys at tunehouse a call (or MRT)
    although, as both use the same tuning software (ECUTEK) it's probably not going to make that much difference

other well known tuning options include MPSgarage

Obviously calling them was my first instinct... However I figured I'd chuck it up here so that others can benefit from the input I don't consider myself (much ) smarter than everyone else, so surely I'm not the first person to think about this!

What about the Hypertech Max Energy Sport? It has the option to remove the factory 0-60mph throttle restriction when flashing.

Mazdaedit can remove the restrictors. Mine has...

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    Mazdaedit can remove the restrictors. Mine has...
    Can it adjust the existing thresholds though? If I don't want to just flat out disable it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredycrow View Post
    Can it adjust the existing thresholds though? If I don't want to just flat out disable it.
    I don't know 100%, but I'm going to assume yes. I don't see it being a 'switch on' or 'switch off' sort of deal. I think if it can be adjusted, you could set it to wherever you wanted...
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

I think you can adjust them as well as remove them. I thought i would be good with controlling the throttle to limit wheelspin but its nearly is impossible... 1st is pointless at over 1/2 throttle and you have to lean out once your in the beef of the rev range. And same with 2nd gear wot from 2 - 5 is good but once power hits you need to easy off it or else wheelspin.

Next time i go to HP-F i'll ask them to install a possible 1/3 power reducer on 1st gear... lol
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    I think you can adjust them as well as remove them. I thought i would be good with controlling the throttle to limit wheelspin but its nearly is impossible... 1st is pointless at over 1/2 throttle and you have to lean out once your in the beef of the rev range. And same with 2nd gear wot from 2 - 5 is good but once power hits you need to easy off it or else wheelspin.

Next time i go to HP-F i'll ask them to install a possible 1/3 power reducer on 1st gear... lol
    Just pull the turbo off, that should fix it

I've always wondered if it can be mapped to speed (or to rpm).
    First gear restrictions are useful for cutting wheel spin, but once I get going, the top end if 1st feels so gutless, I hate it. Then I change to 2nd and get heaps of grunt.
    Wonder if you could map it to give you more power at the top end of 1st but keep the restrictions at launch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the Mazedit tune there is very little drop off top end I pulled hard to 6200 then is flattens, feeling wise it doesn't lose much but Dyno graph wise it says it does, my tyres say otherwise...

Grajy is in another league due to FMIC and full DP his peak is higher and would pull harder and high rpm.

Cpe fuel and throttle flash can do teh same thing for $850, chat to MPSG they will send it away and will come back to what u wanted. mine has all restrictions gone. Is controled by the standback .

MPSG have a tuning solution like the mazdaedit, ecutek, chip torque. I think off memory its cheap..

All these tunes give good results
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

The SWAS can't be removed or altered via the ECU. You can unplug it though if you don't want it.

The torque limiters can be set wherever you want. It is set as a % per gear.
    From memory:
    1st: 85%
    2nd: 90%
    3rd: 95%
    4th:100%

With the Mazedit tune there is very little drop off top end I pulled hard to 6200 then is flattens, feeling wise it doesn't lose much but Dyno graph wise it says it does, my tyres say otherwise...

Grajy is in another league due to FMIC and full DP his peak is higher and would pull harder and high rpm.
    I make peak at about 6000rpm. Then, it slowly drops off to the 6500 cut off. I have no limiters, pulls 17.5psi to cut out, and runs rich. My exhaust gets filled with fuel so much, that when I punch it hard into the next gear, I get a huge BANG backfire from the exhaust on lift-off.
    I haven't used the other tuners, only HP-F. And as a mechanic, my tune suits me. I'm confident I will NEVER blow the engine due to tuning. Remember, run it rich! NEVER lean, even on lift-off...!
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    I make peak at about 6000rpm. Then, it slowly drops off to the 6500 cut off. I have no limiters, pulls 17.5psi to cut out, and runs rich. My exhaust gets filled with fuel so much, that when I punch it hard into the next gear, I get a huge BANG backfire from the exhaust on lift-off.
    I haven't used the other tuners, only HP-F. And as a mechanic, my tune suits me. I'm confident I will NEVER blow the engine due to tuning. Remember, run it rich! NEVER lean, even on lift-off...!
    Hmm maybe mine makes peak at 5700 but anyway i love the bang on gear changes not as good as the HSV VXR's pops and crackles but still very entertaining lol.
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Hmm maybe mine makes peak at 5700 but anyway i love the bang on gear changes not as good as the HSV VXR's pops and crackles but still very entertaining lol.
    You get bang too??? Awesome.
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Yeah but since I still got top half of standard dump bang isn't all the time lol. I think cause the top cat is still there on the standard dump so once i get around to that should sound similar to yours

Bang FTW!!!
    lol

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredycrow View Post
    Calling all flash tuners;

What control do you have over the torque restrictions applied against the gear, and SWAS (Steering Wheel Angle Sensor) input?

I'd be keen to see the restrictions removed from the point of view of what gear I'm in (I'm quite capable of modulating throttle input to avoid traction loss), and re-tuning of the restrictions imposed based on readings from the SWAS.

My car has wider wheels, sticky tyres, upgraded springs and shocks and is well and truly capable of putting down more power than the factory ecu is allowing. That said, complete removal of the restriction applied from the SWAS is not what I'm after. I just want it tuned to the handling characteristics of my individual car.

Keen to hear from anyone who has discussed this with their flash tuner, and of course from any tuners themselves who know what they're talking about
    Hi Guys!

Scaredycrow, yes we can modify / remove the torque limiting for both the gear selection and steering input... No drama at all! We have complete control in this regard and have tuned many with great results and plenty of happy clients!

Let me know if there is any extra info you're after - Always happy to help!

Kind Regards
    Chris Milne
    Tunehouse
    e: chris@tunehouse.com.au
    w: www.tunehouse.com.au
    p: (02) 9557 4000

Quote Originally Posted by Chris at Tunehouse View Post
    Hi Guys!

Scaredycrow, yes we can modify / remove the torque limiting for both the gear selection and steering input... No drama at all! We have complete control in this regard and have tuned many with great results and plenty of happy clients!

Let me know if there is any extra info you're after - Always happy to help!

Kind Regards
    Chris Milne
    Tunehouse
    e: chris@tunehouse.com.au
    w: www.tunehouse.com.au
    p: (02) 9557 4000

Legend. Thanks Chris.