User Tag List

Thread: Can I avoid paying $150 for lock nuts from Mazda?

Default Can I avoid paying $150 for lock nuts from Mazda?

I went to a Mazda dealer today to buy a set of lock nuts. He seemed to be doing me a favour offering them for $150.

The cheapies all seem to be 37mm long. The normal nuts are 25mm.

One option is full set of 37mm (all lock nuts) from the states for around $50 + shipping.

All suggestions gratefully accepted.

My current wheels came with 20 lock nuts. The key is an internal one. Locks are keyed on the outside. Wheel limits room to remove them without the key

ebay a set for $40-$50.

2XS has them for $70 inc postage:
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/2xs-r...heel-nuts.html

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    OP is asking about lock nuts. not wheel nuts.

hi there,

i went to the local Repco, got a set of 4 lock-nuts for $27
    they are the Same as the normal Mazda 3's threads and do the same job as the more expensive ones!!

hope it helps

Lock nuts you can buy from tyre dealers and Mazda or any other car dealer are not worth the money.
    Two wheels pinched of my car and the other two within one nut each of going to.
    They all had lock nuts but research after the event proved that there is a limited number of variations on the tool configs so any body wanting to take the wheels will easily have a tool to fit and even if tthey don't they either drive a rod into the internal key type and split them apart or a socket onto the extenral key types and undo them.
    Most secure available is McGard - they are German made - You can buy them on the Wbe or through a tyre place in Victoria. I would recommend the latter.
    Haven't got the dealers name on me but I will look it up at work tomorrow and try and post it tomorrow night.
    They have a wide variety of tool types and are internal keyed but with a vary shallow engagement so the rod or socket method of removal is less likely to be successful.

Those McGard lock nuts look the business. Nice one wal

Found a place in Melb that apparently sells them (OTR Motorsports): McGard Lug Nuts

Don't know what the cost is though

Thanks for the advice guys. I went down to OTR in Clayton South. Bought a set of spline drive wheel nuts that need a special tool to remove. You can add lock nuts as extra security, but was told that what I got would provide a high level of security.

They are low on stock but are expecting more in a few weeks. Their number is 9547 8100.

Yikes!!! I just remembered..... I started this thread because I wouldn't pay $150 from Mazda....... These were $190!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahah

Hey, if they're good quality (which they look like they are) and if they make it as hard as possible for someone to steal your expensive-to-replace wheels (which it looks like they will) then that sounds like money well spent to me mate.

Might pick some up myself next payday

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Those McGard lock nuts look the business. Nice one wal

Found a place in Melb that apparently sells them (OTR Motorsports): McGard Lug Nuts

Don't know what the cost is though
    I have McGard Spline drive x 4 with one McGard lock nut on each wheel, I got them in Black and I think they are a great product, on the spline drive nuts they have a washer so that as you tighten down the nut it does'nt bite into your wheels, the black colour on the nuts is strong and didnt chip or scratch when doing them up either. they are a really good product, got them shipped from the USA for about $100 all up.

Sounds like you tracked down the Mc Gard OK.
    I think they answer most of the short falls of the run of the mill ones
    Hope they do the job.
    Sorry I didn't post the dealers contacts. I actually bought mine on line and had to wait for a mate a work to come back from holidays to get details of the local retailer.