User Tag List

Thread: Car Video camera(Black box)

Default Car Video camera(Black box)

Recently I decided to purchase one of these in car cams, which allow to record everything while you drive, picture quality is quite good in some units.

I was hoping to see if anyone heard about and can provide some feedback. Ebay has hundreds of variations..not sure where to start.

Cheers

2. Default

How much are you willing to spend?

GoPro Hero HD - costs about $300-350, has suction cups/mounts and is water resistant. Great picture and sound quality, alas no actual screen to navigate through the functions. It's all done by buttons and a little 1" Nokia 3310-type screen.

Just use your P&S camera with a homemade camera mount? Costs anywhere between $30-100.

If it's realtime date you're after (a real "black box"), check our Drift Box and Performance Box. No camera function lol. So I'm not too sure you'd find it much use if the car is road driven? Costs ~$500+

Personally I'm looking to buy a P&S camera with a wideangle lense. $200 well spent in my humble opinion

Would be keen to hear what others have to say as well.

Corksport also sell a product called XCorder. I don't know what it's like or whether it's what your looking for, but here's the link: http://www.corksport.com/xcorder-auto-video-system.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm after something cheap $200-300 max. As long as it records while I'm driving, video quality is the key feature I need.

Found on youtube, good example.

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

watch in 720p, good quality

In which case a GoPro might be a good option for you.

The HD Hero is probably a little over your budget by the time you factor in freight (with the dollar the way it is I'd be looking to buy from the US at the moment). A couple of guys here have them and have posted up some good looking video (Reedy and Vanq)

Motorsport Racing On Board Camera: HD Motorsports HERO

They also make a cheaper version called the HD Hero 960, which might be more in your range.. GoPro HD HERO 960 Video Camera: Compact, Durable, Wearable HD Cam

Hope this helps

Dan
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

wow, thanks alot i will check it out

8. Default

Wow for $100 the video quality is pretty decent. I'm finding it hard to not push buy it now....

Can you kindly take another test video? Preferably going through corners at the speed limit *cough*

Just saw a story on Today Tonight about onboard dash cams.

Be interested to get one of these, if only just to catch the other idiot drivers on the road !

That video seems damned fast - the car towing the trailer in front looked as if it took off from the lights about 15 G's!! But nice and clear.

I'd be interested in getting one just as insurance in those occasional "situations" one encounters on the road. One guy here has cameras all around his car and used it to report some fools who were "heavying" him for an extended period and ultimately forced him off the road. It was reported in the local paper.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 12-12-2011 at 06:35 PM.