User Tag List

Thread: Engine mounts ??

Default Engine mounts ??

Ok so I never plan on putting my car on the track or anything of that nature and was wondering if an rear engine mount is really worth while? It's any everyday driver and I'm concerned about the potential unnecessary vibrations that I keep reading about. I have a few minor mod and plan to do a few more (nothing to serious ) and as you all seem to be the ppl in the know I thought I'd ask you lot before making decisions.....
    Advice???

definitely get the mount. Even for everyday driving it will make a difference. and if you get one of the lower duro rated ones vibes should be minimal.

many here have just picked up the Sure street rated mount and like it. I have the track rated one and it's quite aggressive. They do bed in somewhat over time so the initial shock of vibes should lessen.

I was thinking of doing the same thing and don't have many mods (just an SRI).

Can I also add, what does a rear engine mount do for normal driving,, ie normal gear changes driving in everyday traffic.

Does it make a difference to gear changes ? or this really only something to consider when trying to change gears quickly or driving enthusiastically?

And also while we're all here is it a self install product or a qualified professional sort of deal?

I did it myself. Basic mechanical knowledge and the right tools should be all thats required. Done right it should take less than an hour.

naasif: most of the improvement is probably a lot more noticeable during enthusiastic driving. It has been noted by a few people that the standard mount has a good chance of failing during the life of the car, much sooner if you drive spiritedly. Also 2nd to 3rd gear seemed very finicky at full throttle in my car, it's now fixed. the new mount holds the motor better so it doesn't twist, which can change the operation of the shifter cable.

I think that covers it, someone else can correct me if I've got it wrong.
    Owner of the Mutant Gen I.

basically what Darkness mentioned. (and yes darkness - you are correct!! )

There have been a few recalls in the past for the gen 1s too about failing Rear engine mounts. My issue before the change were shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. U would be able to understand if u were to leave it in neutral and just give it a few beans. The engine bucks as if it were in a rodeo. I have the CPE mount (60duro) and now hardly can tell the difference except much improved gearshifts coming out of the corners

naasif: even as a to and fro car - i think if u were to occasionally give a few squirts i would still recommend changing the mount as the stock mount is in my opinion, inadequate. I was surprised when I took the stock mount out it was the way it was made (hard to explain but u would understand once you compared the aftermarket ones with the stock ones.) i might still have my old one actually...could post a few pics of it for you to compare the aftermarket ones and the stock ones if u require.

Raffa - if u want the least vibes i highly recommend the CPE one though there are a few members saying that the SURE one is getting popular though I'm recommending the Cpe through personal experience and yess you can install it yourself or get it cheaply installed as its a quick install with the right tools. the vibes will be noticeable for a couple of months and then will settle...mine did after around 500kms
    Last edited by mech81; 04-04-2011 at 11:56 PM.