User Tag List

Thread: Sticky Brakes

Default Sticky Brakes

Anyone else had their brakes stick on them? Mine don't lock or anything bad like that, they just aren't disengaging properly and are rubbing quite badly at times.

I've pulled all the wheels off and checked how the rotor spins and on all 4 corners the pads are still touching, but the rears are a lot worse (There is noticable resistance in them)

Now where do I put what kind of lube? And what's the easiest way to force the calipers to retract right out so I can get a few manual operations out of them to hopefully free them up. They've been like this since the last track day I went to so they obviously didn't react too well to the high temperature.

Hopefully there's a simple fix, if not I might see if I can get a warranty job done on them. From the sounds of it on the mazdaspeed forums this is a pretty common problem.

What do?!
    Last edited by Reedy; 03-04-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Caliper slide pins.
    Undo both bolts of the caliper, pull the 'nut' and slide (one piece) out, clean, and coat with a moly type grease (grey), put all back together. Fixed.

Take it to mazda..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide_pins.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	8104
    Caliper Slide Pins circled.
    Last edited by Grajy; 03-04-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Alright job done, let's see how it goes now, a couple of those pins were very dry and crusty. I've got a feeling its a problem in the piston but we will see how it goes.
    Last edited by Reedy; 03-04-2011 at 07:40 PM.

This happened to me the day I picked the car up. Had them check there was no damage at 1000km check which there wasn't.

Still happens occasionally and coming up for 10,000 km service so will get them to look at it again.