User Tag List

Thread: Hi Just joined the MPS6 crew

1. Default Hi Just joined the MPS6 crew

Hey guys just bought a Mazda 6 mps 2005. I must say the car has impressed me 10 fold and just wanted to say hi.

If you guys dont mind could you tell me in your personal opinion what are the first performance mods you would do and which are the safest.

I heard an ECU flash is the best. Gimme your ideas guys

Cheersb Michael

2. Default

Welcome fellow newcomer!

If you search the mods tech talk you will see intake and exhaust are the first mods most members do. From what I have read there is no need to tune the ECU with these mods, but if you want more power and a better tune then you may want to do that also.

There is heaps on changing the rear engine mount also to help with 2nd to 3rd gear change.

So much info on this forum to answer all your questions. Enjoy!

Welcome mate, great choice on car

Definitely first change that rear engine mount, then put in SRI and downpipe!
    Really will make the ride great!
    After that it just gets abit rediculous

As the others have said, changing the rear engine mount will make a HUGE difference to your opinion of the car (for the better). It's how it should have been from the factory! Can be done yourself if you have the right tools etc. I've recently fitted the Sure Torq R6™ // SURE Motorsports // Mazda Performance Equipment one, and recommend it.

A very easy mod if you want a bit more turbo/intake sound is to fit an SRI or CAI. Also good later when you start adding more mods. If you don't want the sound () at least put in a K&N panel filter instead of the stock filter.

Intake, rear engine mount, hypertech flash or the like, dump pipe and rear sway bar would be a good start

Check out the cruises section and come along to the next monthly meet for a chat!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Also id recommend the corksport Sri and box i fitted it to my fiances 6 the other week and its a good bit of kit

Hello and welcome to the forum

+1 Corksport SRI, looks noice in Carbon.

Welcome Michael!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fats View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum
    Speak of the devil

MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

10. Default

Thanks guys all your input really helped.

I think im definitely getting those engine mounts changed, since the "shift thump" described does occur when im hitting the higher revs.

Any DIU guides?
    Also it says $135 for one, just need to verify i would only require the one for the complete rear engine.
    Last edited by TenaciouS; 06-11-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Welcome buddy.

As mentioned above I think a few modifications would be a good start (intake exhaust etc) then a tune LAST to get all these mods working to their potential. Welcome to check out my rides thread (click on the yellow RR below on my sig) for some ideas and such. I've prepared a detailed thread about mods etc, worth a read if you're considering similar, or you can steal ideas if you like them.

Engine mount is pretty straight forward to change. It may come with instructions but basically just jack up the car, crack the bolts on the existing mount, use a hydraulic jack under the block for support (although we didn't really even need it) swap out the mount with the new one and tighten to the right torque setting (I just went "tight" - don't have a torque wrench) hope that helps. You may also want to consider a short shifter too, another cheap yet cool mod.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Hi and welcome to the growing tide of MPS6'ers.
    My ideas which are the 3 most basic rules, often forgotten:
    1. Don't modify for noise only - it's a waste of money and attracts unwanted attention.
    2. I feel much the same about adding daft cosmetic stuff like shark fin antennae too, but that's just me. Leave it for later, at least. Looks don't add horsepower.
    3. Modify for power, efficiency and driveability. By the latter I mean you may not want your car to ride like a board and be highly strung. The MPS6 is a high performance 4 door long-range cruiser (a GT, if you will), not a street light dragster.

- If you plan to modify for lots of power, then plan on modifying for stopping and handling too, although MPS6 brakes are among the best so I'd put stiffening up the handling before the brakes in this case.
    - Primary bolt-on mods that can be cheaply done by yourself if you have a few mechanical molecules in you DNA are:
    - Get rid of the stock downpipe (DP). Go for 3" and less cat restriction. Pick a DP with a flange that enables fitting a larger output turbo in future, even if you never go down that path. It will save a fiddle later.
    - Get rid of the stock turbo inlet pipe and replace with an SRI and pod filter. Forget CAI's, they are a fiddle and create more problems than solutions, clutter up the engine bay with long plumbing to no advantage that sometimes even adds heat rather than eliminates it. I've proven it from intake temp measurements.
    - Go for an ECU piggyback or flash. I'm not up to date with current items but MPS Garage will offer some advice - or ask here.
    - Add a boost guage if you are playing with boost levels above stock.
    - Consider a good TMIC or FMIC at this point, or earlier if you want to save yourself the earlier TIP/SRI step, as you should get a new larger diameter cleaner flowing TIP with it.
    - A tuneable BOV may be an item at this point, depending on how much air you have moving around. Don't get one for noise only (see above comment) but to keep your turbo on-song.
    - Consider after cat exhaust mods but keep the noise down, (see above comment). Note: SS 3" drones like crazy and will drive you mad.
    - Front suspension tower braces - an easy bolt-on.
    - Engine mounts don't figure high on my list, subject to power output or early failures, but you could add them at this point.
    - Stronger rear diff mount if yours is suspect or depending on power output. I still have my original at 60,000km but I don't launch hard.
    - Short throw gearshift is often held to be a good mod and could be done at any time. I'm still looking but not yet done as I have found most to be suspect or have shortcomings in one regard or another.
    - Consider tyres. The stock RE050's ride like boards and tram line. There is better stuff out there - and cheaper.
    - All I have suggested will improve power and economy with minor handling tweaks but nothing major.
    - After this, look at members signatures for cues and ideas, especially re lowering and camber or caster mods.

BTW, if you plan on driving at all enthusiastically, plan to get a good electronic countermeasures system. Often overlooked but it will save your licence and your car. Get the best you can afford. Read the tests.

Hope this helps. It may not sync with others priorities, but I won't be far out. Cheers. :-)
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 07-11-2011 at 11:49 AM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    BTW, if you plan on driving at all enthusiastically, plan to get a good electronic countermeasures system. Often overlooked but it will save your licence and your car. Get the best you can afford. Read the tests.
    Care to elaborate?

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Hi CHRIS, PM if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Hi CHRIS, PM if interested.
    Me too

MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-