User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen 2 HPFP Concerns?

Default Gen 2 HPFP Concerns?

Hi Guys,

So just been reading on the Mazdaspeed forum and it seems like there is a general major concern in regards to the stock HPFP not being able to keep the fuel pressure up at around 1700psi on a stock tune with a intake/TIP/intercooler etc etc... on a Gen 2.. (basic bolt ons) Apparently it drops to around 1400psi and the ECU apparently compensate it by lowering boost etc etc (in escence, u loose power?)- I also read it can be dangerous apparently too the common 'zoom zoom boom' was used alot in these threads lol

Wonder what the thoughts are on this? Anyone with experience or mechical knowledge would be perfect! I've got an intake and a TIP but no datalog to be able to tell me any stories. I was going to start looking into better FMIC but reading this has stopped me from doing anything altogether..

Its so crazy that everyone that has a Gen 2 in the US are buying out all the HPFP either from CPE or KMD etc etc so they are all now backordered...

Concerns?
    Last edited by 3MPSPWR; 30-03-2011 at 09:58 PM.

For starters, the fuel pressure don't run at 17 or 14 psi. That sounds like boost pressures. Our fuel pressure runs at close to 1500psi.
    Do yourself a favor and not believe everything you read on a 'Yank' forum. Those guys believe running turbo'd engines lean is a good thing. They tune the cars themselves and they blow up. Idiots.
    An intake and a TIP will not cause fuelling problems. AT ALL. Don't listen to them. You'll be wasting time and money.
    Enjoy your car.
    BTW, you should tune it to have more fun...
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    For starters, the fuel pressure don't run at 17 or 14 psi. That sounds like boost pressures. Our fuel pressure runs at close to 1500psi.
    Do yourself a favor and not believe everything you read on a 'Yank' forum. Those guys believe running turbo'd engines lean is a good thing. They tune the cars themselves and they blow up. Idiots.
    An intake and a TIP will not cause fuelling problems. AT ALL. Don't listen to them. You'll be wasting time and money.
    Enjoy your car.
    BTW, you should tune it to have more fun...
    Yea damn sorry i mean 17000psi not 17 thats more boost pressure Yea it seemed like everyone was going crazy buying HPFP etc etc with just basic bolt on mods... But has anyone monitored their fuel pressure and see what its like on wide open throttle? Yea i've been driving around with my mods and it didn't seem to cause any dramas until i read this It was only cause i was looking up FMIC and people started suggesting this bloke to read the fuel pressure problems threads etc... and then he freaked out and ordered a upgrade for the HPFP i was like wtf... are u serious?

The tune is on my list of things to do, but warranty will be an issue with the tune so i'm trying to hold that off as much as possible -_- I've heard good things about ECUTEK and will probably give that a go along with a full exhaust system together.

Im guessing u didn't upgrade ur HPFP with all ur mods?

i know there are a few gen 2 owners around with intake + DP and ECUTEK ~205kw atw stock fuel pump
    littleredmps and oldhead pretty much got the same result, and LRMPS had a HPFP
    2XS ran 250ish kw on a stock fuel pump, unless you're looking at going bigger turbo, i would say you SHOULD be fine

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    i know there are a few gen 2 owners around with intake + DP and ECUTEK ~205kw atw stock fuel pump
    littleredmps and oldhead pretty much got the same result, and LRMPS had a HPFP
    2XS ran 250ish kw on a stock fuel pump, unless you're looking at going bigger turbo, i would say you SHOULD be fine
    Yea no no bigger turbo for now, but thats quite interesting... so LRMPS had a HPFP upgrade or the CPE one? :S So they all got the same results? Interesting hmmm... Yea, i reckon i should be ok as well with bolt ons, but without real data log i can't really pin point if this is just a myth or watever... Yea i do remember Troy telling me he ran a stock fuel pump on his MPS hmm.. But gen 1 vs gen 2 difference? i dont think there would be but just a thought..

Yea don't listen to the Americans. They have it ingrained in their psyche that the fuel pump needs to be replaced. Not true at all.

I believe there's no difference between fuel pumps in Gen 1 and Gen 2.
    I've heard the factory fuel pump is good for 360hp at the wheels (if I remember correctly).
    Bottom line, do your mods buddy, you be fine.
    BTW, correct, I haven't upgraded my fuel pump.
    P.s. The way to go is fuel up the engine. Up the fuel, take out timing, and slowly increase the boost. That's how to make power in turbo cars. : )

I have to agree with the boys.

I am not convinced that the any upgrade is necessary to the fuel pump under normal modifications.

I do know some people had fuel cut issues in Gen 2's in the colder months, but this was a minority rather than a majority.

I personally got mine just for peace of mind.

I have been monitoring my fuel pump and NO issues what so ever. Most yanks in very cold states experience some poss problems, but we are talking about freezing temps.
    I also monitored all mods as they where done ,prior to tuning NO issues .
    Go for It, do your mods.

Interesting comments. I have a ETS TMIC, ECUTEK tune and CPE CAI, CPE DP, I noticed last time I took it to Calder my top end did not improve and I started ???? the Fuel pump as well. Would love to be able to monitor it. I got the ETS TMIC after the tune which is not ideal. Would be interested to see peoples comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    I have been monitoring my fuel pump and NO issues what so ever. Most yanks in very cold states experience some poss problems, but we are talking about freezing temps.
    I also monitored all mods as they where done ,prior to tuning NO issues .
    Go for It, do your mods.
    Thats quite interesting.. Yea i do realise that some were epecially having this issue in freezing temps, but i have to keep telling myself they use F instead of C so have to keep converting it in my head What are u using to monitor ur pump if i dont mind asking?? Dashhawk?

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LOOPYMPS View Post
    Interesting comments. I have a ETS TMIC, ECUTEK tune and CPE CAI, CPE DP, I noticed last time I took it to Calder my top end did not improve and I started ???? the Fuel pump as well. Would love to be able to monitor it. I got the ETS TMIC after the tune which is not ideal. Would be interested to see peoples comments.
    Yea its quite a mystery behind this hey, obviously imput from everyone else will be interesting to see what people think, itd be nice to know how ur fuel pump is doing as well... Maybe try monitoring it and log it to see if this is a 'myth' or 'truth'. What made u chose TMIC over FMIC? Im thinking about going FMIC but have this bad image that water will go straight through the bonnet scoop and flood everything without the TMIC being there... bad bad image.. Is this one of the reasons u chose it?

Water will not affect the engine bay at all without the top mount. Everything is sealed.

Dashawk !!!!!!!! Does most things on Gen2 ,but not all.

---------- Post added at 04:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    Water will not affect the engine bay at all without the top mount. Everything is sealed.
    + 1 to above , u still get some ingress of water over your oem tmic,actually assists engine bay temp .

I have also logged my fuel pressure, i havent seen any big problems with it as yet.
    But i will keep a close eye on it in the colder months.

Quote Originally Posted by 3MPSPWR View Post
    Thats quite interesting.. Yea i do realise that some were epecially having this issue in freezing temps, but i have to keep telling myself they use F instead of C so have to keep converting it in my head What are u using to monitor ur pump if i dont mind asking?? Dashhawk?

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

Yea its quite a mystery behind this hey, obviously imput from everyone else will be interesting to see what people think, itd be nice to know how ur fuel pump is doing as well... Maybe try monitoring it and log it to see if this is a 'myth' or 'truth'. What made u chose TMIC over FMIC? Im thinking about going FMIC but have this bad image that water will go straight through the bonnet scoop and flood everything without the TMIC being there... bad bad image.. Is this one of the reasons u chose it?
    I chose the TMIC for the look of the engine bay and a little extra performance. i have re shaped the original intercooler cover to fit. it looks stock. i have posted photos on the forum somewhere if you wish to look.

As it stands the factory systems are able to support reasonable gains in power upgrades and in most cases for street cars the HPFP in its stock form is fine, the main issue with the stock pump is revs and spring float causing your drop in preasure and the events to follow. Upgrading the spring kit gives you no peace of mind and the cp-e pump is the best choice. In order to have a safe as possible engine package when it comes to fuel systems the supply and components must exceed demands.

Hey guys, I was quite surprised how convinced these guys are that the fuel pump needs to go first.. Or boom!

I might have to stir the pot a little.

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...tml#post873461

Nice response from Ckmazdaspeed3......

This is also related to here and what Cobb had reported after releasing their AccessPort for the Gen II: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/elect...vs-gen-ii.html

I'm pretty confused by it all (the differing viewpoints that is). On one hand as you say Brad, there are a number of people here who have done reasonable mods to their cars without signs of danger. On the other, you've got a company like Cobb posting the results they did and effectively recommending a fuel pump upgrade early on in the modding cycle

To my knowledge, Cobb don't make after market fuel pumps for the MPS, so I guess that takes a rather large chunk out of any theory on ulterior motives.....

again
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 31-05-2011 at 11:31 AM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

hey guys i got a Gen II with CP-e CAI and a Hypertech Tune loaded, do you think i should be looking at this?

Quote Originally Posted by buzurk View Post
    hey guys i got a Gen II with CP-e CAI and a Hypertech Tune loaded, do you think i should be looking at this?
    Do you have a monitoring tool of any description? (Dashhawk, Torque App on Android phones etc). That's the best way to check out what's happening, including monitoring your fuel pressure.

But with your mods as they are now...no, you'll be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast