User Tag List

Thread: Replacing spark plugs early - necessary? benefits

Default Replacing spark plugs early - necessary? benefits?

Just wondering if/when it's necessary to replace the spark plugs on the MPS. Im sure it says in the service manual when to replace them (but i havent got it with me ATM), but is there any benefit to do it earlier than specified? I have just clocked 60,000km
    Last edited by nickows; 25-02-2009 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nickows View Post
    Just wondering if/when it's necessary to replace the spark plugs on the MPS. Im sure it says in the service manual when to replace them (but i havent got it with me ATM), but is there any benefit to do it earlier than specified? I have just clocked 60,000km
    I was wondering this aswell , in the manual it says every 70,000km , which i
    am having done today but when i asked Mazda about it they said every
    100,000km so at the moment it's not getting done, still running perfectly thou,
    so when does everyone else get it done

I replaced mine at 70,000 and the old plugs were as good as new. There was none of the electrode erosion you would expect to see on a copper plug, so the gap was still perfect. They were clean with no fouling and the colour was good. Consequently there was absolutely no improvement from installing the new plugs.

I'm not saying don't change them, but think of it like replacing the coolant, you do it for the good of your car, not because it will make it run better. If you wanted to I think it would be quite safe to run them to 100,000 km.

Having said all that, so many owners have reported an improvement from changing to colder Denso plugs that it's gotta be worth trying. MPS Garage have them

Gone to Volvo

thanks for the input

If you're modded it may be worth changing the plugs for "one colder" to help prevent early detonation. Doingmine when the TMIC goes in.

Quote Originally Posted by EQ View Post
    If you're modded it may be worth changing the plugs for "one colder" to help prevent early detonation. Doingmine when the TMIC goes in.
    Yeah if your running higher boost, i'd reccommend changing the plugs clearly for this reason

Quote Originally Posted by 12Lead View Post
    I was wondering this aswell , in the manual it says every 70,000km , which i
    am having done today but when i asked Mazda about it they said every
    100,000km so at the moment it's not getting done, still running perfectly thou,
    so when does everyone else get it done
    thats interesting as my 70k service didnt mention anything about spark plugs on the invoice either. I might get my old man to change my soon !

FYI I think Swallowtail was selling some +1 cold plugs (brand new)

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    FYI I think Swallowtail was selling some +1 cold plugs (brand new)
    cool il suss out what kind of price as i usually buy that type of gear from burson's as i get trade discount through work..
    2005 Mazda MPS6 Radiant Ebony Luxury-Pack