User Tag List

Thread: About to by a 6 MPS and just learned of the smoking issue

1. Default About to by a 6 MPS and just learned of the smoking issue

Hi all, I am looking to buy a 6 MPS and was looking around on this forum and others, and noticed that there seem to be a fair few people having problems with white smoke/turbo seals. I noticed several members on this forum have this issue and found a bunch of threads on it here, where heaps of people have reported a problem.

The thing is I have found a car - an 06 model that has done 70,000 k's, and negotiated on price with the seller, and am getting it inspected in 2 days, and I'm pretty much about to buy this car, so this has me pretty worried. I could cancel the inspection now and could back out of the buy but I really like the car, so I would like to buy it but am worried about this issue as I don't really want to have to drop $2k on a new turbo simply because they have a stupid design flaw, especially if it happens right after I buy the car because I'll be pretty strapped for cash for a while

So how widespread/common is this issue? Does it only affect a certain batch? The car is out of warranty so I would expect Mazda would laugh at me if I went down to the local dealer and asked them to replace a faulty turbo out of warranty, even if it is a factory design flaw. I noticed that people are saying there is a TSB (what does that mean), does that mean Mazda would perhaps consider replacing one out of warranty? Could the problem perhaps be a bit overstated on the net and in reality this isn't any worse than any turbocharged performance vehicle?

I don't like the idea of modding a car (except the sound system), and would like to keep everything stock - including the turbo - so that is pretty much out of the question, if I bought an MPS and started getting white/blue smoke when idling, I would want it fixed with Mazda parts.

I'm thinking I might have to just do the wise thing and back out of this purchase and get something else, which will be a real pity as I really like the MPSs. Either way I need to decide today or tomorrow.

For every 1 car with smoking turbos there's hundreds that Havn had a problem.

I'd skip the paid inspection unless they can compensate should they find no faults yet week later it all goes horribly wrong like happend recently to a new member.

Might be possible for a member here that may live near to help out.

The mps is no worse than any other turbo charged car

Its like any turbo car if you start modding them they are more likely to cause problems down the track particualrly if you drive the car too hard too often. I've seen plenty of stooges driving Sti's who think they are unbreakable and end up paying out big dollars to get bits and pieces fixed cause they had a little too much fun out on a club cruise.

Get the service history off the current owner and call up the dealers where the car has been serviced at and ask for a maintenance history and any major repairs that have been completed thus far. This will give you a good idea on whether or not this particular MPS is a lemon or not.

If the car you are looking at is in stock condition and is not currently blowing out smoke due to dodgy turbo seals then I expect it will be fine and you shouldn't have any issues with the turbo. Like bd581 said the majority of 6MPS's don't have any turbo issues.

The guy completing the vehicle inspection for you will easily be able to confirm if the turbo seals are leaking if they are not then you have nothing to worry about.

I'd get the vehicle inspector to confirm that the VVT actuator is functioning properly this is what stung me with my MPS. If its faulty it will cause a rattle on start-up.

4. Default

Agreed I wouldnt pull out of buying it for fear of future possible turbo seal failure. If you have found a car you love and in good condition, get it inspected for peace of mind, buy it then enjoy it like the rest of us do.

They are a top car as Im guessing you already know as you have probably researched alot to want to buy one on the first place.

Good luck with everything, and hope to see you back here soon with stories to tell of how happy you are and pics of your new hot MPS6
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Good comments guys.

Many vehicles, turbo charged or not have typical design flaws/failures etc, some are recalled some are not publicized which I think is the case with the engine mount and possibly the leaking turbo seals too. Recently I found out some BMW vehicles were recalled due to issues with their range.

I wouldn't be turned away as like many of us on here our vehicles are fine...and at the end of the day "IF" it does happen...that's life, just have to grin and bear it, fix it, as with the risk of buying ANY second hand vehicle which is out of warranty. It is a mechanical device after all with moving parts etc.

My advice would be give the car a once over, check the water pump seals (from my experience) let it idle a while and see if there is any evidence of white smoke...rev it a bit, check again. If both pass this test and you like the car, buy it. If there are problems, look at another MPS.

I/we can't say...don't buy it, cause
    a) we own MPS's with no or minimal issues as evidence of above, some members are above 100,000kms and still going...
    b) there's a chance you may have a problem with another vehicle you buy so its not in our best interests to say the MPS is bad as you might very well find a worse vehicle.

As mentioned above and just to repeat
    "For every 1 car with smoking turbos there's hundreds that Havn had a problem."

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

6. Default

Cheers for your comments, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Get the service history off the current owner and call up the dealers where the car has been serviced at and ask for a maintenance history and any major repairs that have been completed thus far. This will give you a good idea on whether or not this particular MPS is a lemon or not.
    I know one of the places it's been serviced at, however the car has been serviced at several different places and that appears to be due to the past owners moving around a bit. I might see if I can dig up some info, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    My advice would be give the car a once over, check the water pump seals (from my experience) let it idle a while and see if there is any evidence of white smoke...rev it a bit, check again. If both pass this test and you like the car, buy it. If there are problems, look at another MPS.
    Thanks, I'll do that when I see it next

( how i would view this) If u do get it cheap because of a turbo seal, another turbo with garrett internals is only $1500 problem fixed with better turbo than the stock one!!!! and u save thousands...............................

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin
    I'd enquire at a Mazda dealer if you purchase it and it HAS leaking seals. A Service Bulletin lets the technicians know about common problems and how to fix them if one is incurred.
    The reason I say look into it is because I'm a Honda technician by trade, and a couple of years ago, a Bulletin was issued due to a certain range Jazz and V6 Odyssey about EGR valves. Honda extended their warranty ONLY on these EGR valve from the standard factory 3 years (for the entire car) to 5 years (EGR only).
    You never know, they MAY be able to help. If they say no, just walk away...
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

There is a TSB out for the smoky turbo problem on the 3, 6 and CX7. If the vehicle falls within a certain VIN range and displays symptoms they will generally replace the turbo.

Best way to check it is start the car up and let it idle for 5-10 minutes, don't do anything else to it in that time. If the turbo is bad the cloud out the back will resemble this:

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

And here's the Mazda North America tech bulletin...

SMOKING FROM EXHAUST HOT ENGINE AT EXTENDED IDLE
    Applicable Models
    Model Starting S/N Ending S/N Model Spec
    MAZDA3 2007-2008 000000 ZZZZZZ
    CX7 2007-2008 000000 ZZZZZZ
    MAZDA6 2006-2007 000000 ZZZZZZ

Related Category/Subcategory/Symptoms
    ENGINE / MECHANICAL / WHITE SMOKE,BLUE SMOKE
    ENGINE / EMISSIONS / EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION
    ENGINE / EMISSIONS / BLACK SMOKE

MTOL - 5505 Dealer Repair Information
    Symptom and Conditions

Vehicles equipped with DISI engines may experience a hot engine extended idle smoking out of the exhaust condition. This condition may also occur while driving in traffic at very slow speeds.

Repair Procedure

To correctly identify this concern have the tech drive the vehicle to insure it is fully warmed up a road test of 5 miles should be adequate.
    Once the engine is fully warmed up allow it to idle for an extended period, this could take up to 30 minutes to produce any type of smoke from the exhaust. Once the smoking has started shut down the engine and perform a compression test and a cylinder leak down test. If both tests results are ok, have the tech remove the precat from the turbo outlet and inspect the exhaust impeller in the turbo for any signs of oil on or around the impeller. The removing of the cat should only be done with a cold engine. Quiz the tech as to the oil change history (time & mileage) what weight oil is being used during vehicle services on vehicles with DISI engines. If there is any sign of oil in the turbo, have the tech replace the turbo, and recheck using the same procedure to confirm the concern is gone.

Standard compression is 185PSI @ 250 RPM
    Leak down less than 10%
    DISI Engines require 5W30 weight oil.

one member's car

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    There is a TSB out for the smoky turbo problem on the 3, 6 and CX7. If the vehicle falls within a certain VIN range and displays symptoms they will generally replace the turbo.
    Not out of warranty though, surely?

Save your money and get a gen2 3 if you really want an mps.

13. Default

They obviously want an MPS6 mitch not a 3, not all 6's are lemons ... not many actually

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    They obviously want an MPS6 mitch not a 3, not all 6's are lemons ... not many actually
    Your car like many others appears in the what problems have you had thread, my turbo never smoked but none the less is worn beyond servicable.
    Chances are every 6 has a shit turbo including the one in question for sale.

15. Default

Im not saying my cars perfect, yeh mine is in the problems thread for various things and just so happens to be the black 6 smoking away in the video completely stock with 30,000k on the clock. But 3 years on I still have it and love it more than I have loved any other car in the past, and continue to love it more and more each day.

If you buy any 2nd hand car that is a risk you take with it regardless of how much it was brought for originally and what the badge is on the car.
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

My 2 cents...car has problem, fix it...car has "continuous" problems, sell it.
    I wouldn't discredit any car for a single issue (unless its a major safety or mechanical factor)

Quote Originally Posted by aysiruhdf View Post
    Not out of warranty though, surely?
    Rare, not unheard of though.