User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPS6 Top Speed

Default MPS6 Top Speed

Before I ask that simple question let me make note that I do not condone speeding, negligent driving or the likes and nor do I have any intention of finding out the top speed of my MPS6 unless someone owns a nice, long private road with paramedics on stand by after my car being rigorously checked over etc (not going to happen!)

I've also done a quick search but as speed is involved in the topic, a lot of irrelevant stuff popped up.

Anyway, in discussion with mates, colleagues and the likes they always ask me about my MPS6 - 0-100, power, torque etc and I can always give them a rough answer except for top speed. So does anyone know the top speed of the MPS6? Were they limited and did this vary between European, American and Australian models? Hopefully someone knows, until then I'll just have to leave it as the speedo goes to 280 :P
    Last edited by skyna; 25-03-2011 at 04:27 PM.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply! I wonder if they're limited or whether they just run out of breath. 'Top speed' would probably infer the latter. Not to worry, I won't be getting anywhere near those speeds
    Last edited by skyna; 25-03-2011 at 04:26 PM.

" maximum speed is said to be around 240km/h, but from my experience that is a conservative figure."

Or more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll let you know after work...kidding

It'll hit 240kmph no worries

I think I read somewhere that its 250kmph but I reckon the above is a fair assumption. No chance it will hit 280kmph without work/mods done. 0-100 published figures are wrong. Many folks see 0-100 in the 5 seconds, some have seen under 5. The MPS6 is quicker than the published 6.6 or 6.1 depending on where you look. I guess it depends on tyres, launch and conditions, but 6 seconds should be easily enough to crack.

Power is 190kW and 380Nm torque at the flywheel from factory hard to say what power you're putting out at the wheels and again depends on mods but somewhere around 140kW at the wheels stock.

If you mates ask and they need to know I would say around 240kmph give or take top end. Around 5.5 seconds to the 100 (again, give or take) and just say the stock published power/torque figures unless you have an idea elsewhere or have a dynograph.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    " maximum speed is said to be around 240km/h, but from my experience that is a conservative figure."

Or more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice! I should have read the second one before posting but that should shut the skyline/commodore blokes up at work :P

Quote Originally Posted by skyna View Post
    Nice! I should have read the second one before posting but that should shut the skyline/commodore blokes up at work :P
    If you want to shut them up, tell them the 0-100 figures of a common Superbike, then go buy one *jaw drops*

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Dont know about the 6 but the 3 cuts out at 255kph i also know that the faster u go the speedo is more correct! went for a drive out to a mates place/his dad's? and his property has a nice long driveway. ( mind u hearing gravel hit under your car when the tar runs out is not a good sound at 100kph so i now have brakes that work hot )
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Article here had the claimed top speed of 241 km/h.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...ps-review.html

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Article here had the claimed top speed of 241 km/h.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...ps-review.html
    this may be on a GPS?
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Back in 2006 a Swedish dude posted a photo on an American forum of the speedo in his 6MPS at over 280, he claimed that with enough road it reached 287. Not saying I believe him, maybe it was photo shopped, but it's certainly the highest claimed speed for a 6MPS I've ever heard.

When my car was stock it was dyno'd at 140 kw and did 0-100 in mid 5 sec. With a couple of bolt-on mods it went below 5 sec. Now it has a tune and with a stuffed turbo it does mid 4's. I posted this time (4.82) here last year before the tune.

Last edited by kmh001; 26-03-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Gone to Volvo

That's rather rapid.
    Imagine if you could hit 100 kmh in 2nd...
    BMW, anyone?
    No, I'll stick with what I've got, thanks.
    Last edited by guitar69; 26-03-2011 at 03:45 PM.

I had heard that the car is electronically limited to 240, although I can't find anything to back this statement up anymore.

I don't trust my speedo. According to multiple GPS' I've tesedt with, my car is actually going around 94km/h when indicating 100km/h. I'm still running the original tyres and rims, and I'd suggest this is similar with the rest of them.

I would've thought it might be the other way round, the faster you go, the more inaccurate the speedo (assuming it's not a constant differenece otherwise at an indicated 6km/h I'm not actually moving).

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    The MPS6 is quicker than the published 6.6 or 6.1 depending on where you look. I guess it depends on tyres, launch and conditions, but 6 seconds should be easily enough to crack.
    I believe 6.6s is the Australian-spec claim, 6.1 or thereabouts is 0-60mph and based on the slightly more powerful overseas models

Quote Originally Posted by Nuliaj View Post
    I don't trust my speedo. According to multiple GPS' I've tesedt with, my car is actually going around 94km/h when indicating 100km/h. I'm still running the original tyres and rims, and I'd suggest this is similar with the rest of them.

I would've thought it might be the other way round, the faster you go, the more inaccurate the speedo (assuming it's not a constant differenece otherwise at an indicated 6km/h I'm not actually moving).
    The speedo innacuratcy is a percentage error, your case 6% ie at an indicated 250, your really be doing 235km/h - 15km/h difference.
    My car is 10% out. indicated 260 = real 236. Proven, don't ask

My guess, based on experience, in a 3 MPS. That speed was at bit over 5,500rpm. Giving about 43kmh per 1000rpm.
    In theory then, top speed should be roughly 280km/h at 6,500rpm
    HOWEVER.
    We all know that power drops off a lot at 5,500rpm (stock), so its very unlikely that the car would have the power to push through the aerodynamic drag to reach peak rpm in top gear (few cars do)

May be of some interest re- stock power:

Powertrain Performance Graph for Mazda 6 MPS -06 (191 kW)

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Back in 2006 a Swedish dude posted a photo on an American forum of the speedo in his 6MPS at over 280, he claimed that with enough road it reached 287. Not saying I believe him, maybe it was photo shopped, but it's certainly the highest claimed speed for a 6MPS I've ever heard.

When my car was stock it was dyno'd at 140 kw and did 0-100 in mid 5 sec. With a couple of bolt-on mods it went below 5 sec. Now it has a tune and with a stuffed turbo it does mid 4's. I posted this time (4.82) here last year before the tune.

6000rpm launch FTW!!! i dont have the balls to try that. also like the 0-44km/h in about 0.35 seconds, thats over 3.5G's if it was possible.. I'd imagine the first part of the graph looks so crazy because you got all 4 wheels spinning off the line giving it a false speed reading but this wouldn't effect the accuracy of the 0-100 time
    Last edited by Toddy22587; 29-03-2011 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxy View Post
    May be of some interest re- stock power:

Powertrain Performance Graph for Mazda 6 MPS -06 (191 kW)
    It always used to make me cry to see the massive drop off in power from 5500rpm. In the case of the linked chart power drops by almost 50% by the time it hits redline. It's one of the main reason the car isn't suited to being a 1/4 mile or top speed car, but also why it seems to perform so much better in everyday situations where you're in the 2500 to 5000 rpm torque band.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Theres a easy way of finding out.... jack the car up and apply a bit of brakes and 6th gear give it a rev.... good way to see if ur drive train is balanced

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast