User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re flash Mazda 6 MPS ECU

Default Re flash Mazda 6 MPS ECU

Hi guys
    After speaking with some friends who have a workshop the best thing to do is to flash the ECU
    I just called a company in Sydney who are doing this to 6 MPS.
    Cost is $1700 for 20% more power at the wheels? I know that they will remap the ECU and put it in a DYNO and increase the boost and everything. Its a good upgrade but isnt it a bit expensive? I mean a FMIC and a SRI wont give me at least 20hp? For these 2 the cost is not even a 1000 bucks. I just want to give it a bit more power after the 19"'s but not to spend 2 years worth of insurance for it :-).
    Tell me your thoughts please
    Regards

Have you thought of contacting Tunehouse in Sydney? There are a couple of MPS6 from this forum who went to Tunehouse and have great results!

The price is also about the same you were quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    Have you thought of contacting Tunehouse in Sydney? There are a couple of MPS6 from this forum who went to Tunehouse and have great results!

The price is also about the same you were quoted.
    I think these were the guys that I called
    The thing is with a FMIC, SRI will I get some results decent results? Of course it wont give me 50 hp but will I feel the difference? I am looking for the best value/money.
    Thanks

Can I suggest having a bit of a read through the forums here?

I think you will find answers to the questions you've been asking and even more. Take the time before splashing the cash.

I've done most of the popular mods featured on this forum- SRI, BPV, TIP, DP, New Top-mount IC, 3"exhaust and hypertech tune.
    To be conservative, whatever power gains are quoted by the manufacturer of the product, reduce by 50% and you won't be disappointed.
    By far the best value for money was the DP, but that, supplied and fitted, didn't leave much change from the $1700 you've been quoted for the tune.
    Might be a good idea to do any hardware mode before the tune, though.
    Hope that helps.

Guitar69, I thought the hypertech would have been the best value considering it's around $450. How'd you find it? Did it improve top end pull or is it overrated?

I was thinking about getting one for my stock MPS6 . Alternatively, the downpipe is tempting but I'm not sure how it'll run on the stock tune. Cheers.

The thread starter might want to consider the hypertech if he's on a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by wesley View Post
    Guitar69, I thought the hypertech would have been the best value considering it's around $450. How'd you find it? Did it improve top end pull or is it overrated?

I was thinking about getting one for my stock MPS6 . Alternatively, the downpipe is tempting but I'm not sure how it'll run on the stock tune. Cheers.

The HT is good. Certainly improves the overall feel of the car, but despite what the graphs suggest, I found the most noticeable difference to be quite early in the pedal travel. Throttle remapping, perhaps?
    I'm happy with the HT, but just don't expect the claimed 60hp at the top end. Well, not on my car anyway.
    For mine, the DP is unbeatable for torque, power and tractability. It sounds the biz, and seems a necessary launch point for other exhaust mods.
    Just my 2 bob's worth.

This is not like the old days where you could just increase the boost or addon hard parts and expect decent gains. ECUs in modern cars these days are designed to run with set parameters and adjust themselves to stay within those parameters. Adding an intake doesn't do a whole heap when you consider that you still have the same bottle neck which is around the stock TIP where it goes from a cylinder shape to a rectangular shape. Then after that the mouth of the turbo is small (since we have a small turbo) so a 8" intake (with the proper MAF changes) would still be restricted down the line. An FMIC does not give you power, it merely reduces the loss due to the byproducts of a turbo car - heat, which allows you to run cooler while sitting in traffic. Don't expect to slap on an FMIC and all of a sudden your wheels start spinning in 3rd gear.

Without a proper tune, you're wasting a big chunk of potential in your mods. Hell even a tuned stock car will be faster than a car with IC/Intake/Exhaust. Don't forget if a manufacturer says a Part A adds X hp and Part B adds Y hp, to expect X+Y hp gains is ricer maths.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Thanks for the feedback guitar69. I've noticed that a DP can cause smoking problems. What are the effects of smoking? Is it harmful to the turbo or any other component or is it merely just an unpleasant sight? Sorry for the noob questions lol.

Nuliaj, I notice you have a DP; are you still untuned?

Thanks for the feedback guitar69. I've noticed that a DP can cause smoking problems. What are the effects of smoking? Is it harmful to the turbo or any other component or is it merely just an unpleasant sight? Sorry for the noob questions lol.
    The stock turbo has a design flaw in relation to the seals, which leak. It's possible or even likely that the OEM turbo is such a piece of poo that every MPS has leaking seals however most owners don't know there is a problem because the stock exhaust with two cats masks the effect of the leaking seals. When a DP is installed the problem is no longer masked (and may be slightly exacerbated) and exhaust smoke becomes visible under certain conditions.

The DP wont really harm the turbo because it's basically rubbish from the outset.

A greater concern in terms of damage is that leaking turbo seals can lead to significant upper engine contamination which is a serious problem in direct injection engines where there is no self-cleaning tendency around the inlet valves. I hope that hasn't confused you.

Gone to Volvo

It boggles my mind that a 'tuning workshop' can charge over $1000 for an ECU flash with dyno time. The Horsepower Factory in Melbourne charges about $800 for an initial custom tune, including dyno time. Cheaper for the next tune after you add more parts.
    I've had mine done, and a few guys have done theirs too, 3's AND 6's...
    Pre loaded software flash can't beat custom tuning. PERIOD. People are so worried about their engines exploding, but yet, take the cheap option when it comes to tuning. I've looked around on the net and found a similar story. The yanks are tuning their cars all wrong. THIS will cause engines to explode.
    Go for a custome tune, stock or modded, but demand to know why it costs so much when other reputable dyno tuning workshops are HALF the price... well, one is anyways...
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    It boggles my mind that a 'tuning workshop' can charge over $1000 for an ECU flash with dyno time. The Horsepower Factory in Melbourne charges about $800 for an initial custom tune, including dyno time. Cheaper for the next tune after you add more parts.
    I've had mine done, and a few guys have done theirs too, 3's AND 6's...
    Pre loaded software flash can't beat custom tuning. PERIOD. People are so worried about their engines exploding, but yet, take the cheap option when it comes to tuning. I've looked around on the net and found a similar story. The yanks are tuning their cars all wrong. THIS will cause engines to explode.
    Go for a custome tune, stock or modded, but demand to know why it costs so much when other reputable dyno tuning workshops are HALF the price... well, one is anyways...
    mazedit vs ecutek vs whatever CT uses
    no idea what the difference is in terms of what the different software does
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Thanks for the informative post kmh001.

I've noticed a lot of debate between generic (preloaded tunes) and custom. I initially thought that custom is always the way to go however, aren't the mazda OEM tunes all generic in the first place? Additionally, I believe the all the MRT tunes for their XA-XC kits are generic. So it probably comes down to how good the generic tune is in the first place.

The Mazdaedit software used to tune mine is a FULL custom tune. No preloading done here. It allows you to re-map all of the existing data in the factory ECU. I think it's awesome.

If a full custom tune from a reputable operator was available here in Qld for $800 I would have been all over it.

16. Default

Thanks for the informative post kmh001.

I've noticed a lot of debate between generic (preloaded tunes) and custom. I initially thought that custom is always the way to go however, aren't the mazda OEM tunes all generic in the first place? Additionally, I believe the all the MRT tunes for their XA-XC kits are generic. So it probably comes down to how good the generic tune is in the first place.
    I just thought I would help everyone know that ALL MRT tunes, incl both XA, XB and other are all custom tuned to suit each and every car.
    We do all the testing, r/d, release software, base tunes, upgrade tunes,MAPS and then on site and off site support for all EcuTeK software users and workshops in Australia

IF anyone needs help or tech support, please e-mail me direct Brett@MRTperformance.com.au

(we also tune and support the 3 ex factory race cars, now run by West End Mazda, Osborne Motorsport and the Qld based Grand Prix Mazda MPS)

Nuliaj, I notice you have a DP; are you still untuned?
    I had an intake + TIP + full exhaust and never had any problems with smoke. I'm untuned cause I'm selling the car soon. I was waiting for the Cobb AP to get released down here so I could self tune but unfortunately they never came to the game.

FWIW I've put a deposit down with MRT to get my next car tuned when it arrives. Shhh don't tell them what car I'm getting Brett .
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Thanks mate
    Looks very interesting...I might give them a call
    Now how about the Hyperflow TMIC? Does anyone know about this?
    Its a bolt on IC for the 3/6MPS but better...(?)

HYPERFLOW | Intercoolers | Catch Cans | WRX | FORD | Active Exhaust | — Top Mount Intercooler [TMIC]

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Hey mate I had a look and they are in US?
    Any resellers in AU?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jnin View Post
    Thanks mate
    Looks very interesting...I might give them a call
    Now how about the Hyperflow TMIC? Does anyone know about this?
    Its a bolt on IC for the 3/6MPS but better...(?)

HYPERFLOW | Intercoolers | Catch Cans | WRX | FORD | Active Exhaust | — Top Mount Intercooler [TMIC][COLOR="Silver"]
    got one (i own a gen 1 3mps) and it's a straight bolt on
    pull old one off, put new (substantially bigger) one on
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 28-03-2011 at 02:43 PM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    got one (i own a gen 1 3mps) and it's a straight bolt on
    pull old one off, put new (substantially bigger) one on
    Did you see any difference?
    Costs almost 1000 bucks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast